British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-22, 08:24 PM

Default Southeastern Command

Can anyone put these Southeastern Command formation signs in chronological order for me please? Also, are the last two variations of SE Cmd, copies, or even foreign? Any help would be much appreciated
Old 07-02-22, 03:45 PM

From left to right, numbers 1,2 and 4 are nice wartime painted examples, but I don't think they can be dated more precisely than that, but number 1 is thought to be the earliest I believe. I have not seen the likes number 3 before, but possibly a wartime embroidered example.
The others are post war and likely fakes to my knowledge.
Number 4 is unused and not folded into a circle as they were worn.
CB

Last edited by cbuehler; 07-02-22 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 04:50 PM

I have the first four in my collection, so have a question for you Badger.

Are 1 and 2 the same size. My number 1 is larger than all of my others, and I've not see a khaki backed one in a large size, so maybe need to look for one if yours is also a large patch.

Thanks,

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 08-02-22 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 07:03 PM

Hi Badger,

I’m no expert on these and have only just started to collect them, but, I believe that the first pattern was the red embroidered, then red printed, and the second pattern was khaki embroidered and then printed.

Cole does not mention the colours. Mills numbers them in this order and mentions the badge was, ‘designed by artist and Hollywood set designer Laurence Irving…who…modelled it on a stuffed tiger’s head in Hever Castle’ (Mills, 2019, p.193).

I attach a picture of mine for reference, showing variations. They were authorised in March 1941 and, as the Command only existed until 1944, if not of wartime manufacture, 3 would perhaps have to be regarded as a fake.

KR,

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F97B446A-44D3-4AC0-9454-86CCFE93B275.jpg (66.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 08-02-22, 04:55 AM

Just for reference, here are the ones in my collection.

Terry
Old 08-02-22, 10:43 AM

Thank you for your comments, gentlemen. It clarifies things for me.
No1 is 6cm in diameter, 2 is 4cm in diameter, 3 is a 5cm square background. I see that 4 is a variation of 2 but has not been folded as a circle which it should be.
I also think that 4 and 5 may be reproductions as they look new and not quite right. 5 is woven and 6.2 cm diameter, and 6 is printed and 5.6 cm diameter.
Thanks again for your help on this.
Old 08-02-22, 01:06 PM

I have no problem with No3 - I bought a pair 20+ years ago from a dependable dealer who is still trading. No.5 is certainly modern manufacture and might be the resurrected South Eastern District (1967-95) from the later period of its existence. Might even be a tracksuit badge.