British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-01-22, 10:20 AM

Default Windhoek Regiment

I recently found some colour pictures on the Namibian National Archives site showing a 1974 Freedom of Windhoek parade to the Windhoek Regiment.

What was of interest was the uniform and insignia worn by the unit in 1974.
Standard uniform appears to be SADF browns with black boots and black beret.
Beret badge was standard Windhoek Regiment as adopted in 1964 but there is also a beret balkie been worn which appears to be black/white/black.
This balkie has as far as I am aware been attributed to 5 recce, so it appears both units (Windhoek Regiment and 5 Recce Regiment) both wore the same balkie.

I read somewhere that the Windhoek Regiment insignia was worn till 1978, so probably after that the regiment wore SWATF insignia.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windhoek Regt.jpg (95.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 25-01-22, 11:48 AM

Just to add, the Windhoek Regiment was originally formed as 1 SWA Infantry Battalion in 1939. They wore a black/white/black helmet flash from 1940. There is evidence that this was still worn post WWII till at least a 1947 parade for Jan Smuts in Windhoek.
Image of flash attached and similarity seen with beret balkie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1SWA flash.jpg (67.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 25-01-22, 10:40 PM

I have been trying to piece together the changes that happened in 1980 when SWATF came into being. I assume that the Windhoek Regiment became 91 Armd Car regiment (antelope badge) under 91 Brigade. I think two other pre-existing regiments Regiment Erongo and Regiment Namutoni became 912 and 913 battalions. 911 battalion looks like it was a pre-existing SADF 41 battalion. Can anyone confirm Regiment Windhoek’s succeeding was 91 Armd Car Regiment?
Old 26-01-22, 04:15 AM

Hi,
Cannot confirm, but suspect you are 100% correct with your analysis.