British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-15, 06:02 PM

I'm really glad to see that some have enjoyed receiving this coin from the London Mint and have had no bad experiences. For myself I'd rather not take the chance. It would be different if the coin had a hope of being worth something in 20 years time.
Old 13-03-15, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
I'm really glad to see that some have enjoyed receiving this coin from the London Mint and have had no bad experiences. For myself I'd rather not take the chance. It would be different if the coin had a hope of being worth something in 20 years time.
Surely with such a limited run of only 500,000 medals maximum it will be very rare!!!!
Old 14-03-15, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
Can we not get Leo from Global Art Gifts (http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=45178) to make us a batch?
Agincourt: 10/25/1415 [600]
Waterloo: 6/18/1815 [200]

Last edited by pinfrin; 14-03-15 at 01:45 PM.
Old 14-03-15, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
Surely with such a limited run of only 500,000 medals maximum it will be very rare!!!!
That wouldn't be my opinion. I'd have thought those numbers would have made the issue fairly plentiful.
Old 14-03-15, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
You could not, as they say, make it up! Mike

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31849506
'France objected to the design showing the Lion Hill memorial, which marks the June 1815 battle near Brussels.
The French government said it contained a "negative symbol" for some Europeans.'

I suppose that the D-Day and VE Day coins and medals should be scrapped for the same reason?
Lee

www.khakicolonel.com
Old 14-03-15, 04:30 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't be my opinion. I'd have thought those numbers would have made the issue fairly plentiful.
I think there was a touch of irony in the original post regarding the number being issued but in fact they are already selling for more on ebay! One sold recently for £22.00 with £2.50 for postage! Remember the original offer was "free" with £2.50 for p&p. They may, of course, be going to buyers outside the UK as I believe the original offer was for UK residents only.

I didn't buy mine as an investment, I just liked the look of a nice commemorative Waterloo medal for what seemed like a very reasonable overall cost.
Old 14-03-15, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Smelly View Post
'France objected to the design showing the Lion Hill memorial, which marks the June 1815 battle near Brussels.
The French government said it contained a "negative symbol" for some Europeans.'

I suppose that the D-Day and VE Day coins and medals should be scrapped for the same reason?
Lee
I can see a time, potentially, when they say that. Especially given the embarrassment of the French with their widespread collaboration with the Nazis to the extent that Vichy French Forces engaged Allied units on many occasions to prevent them achieving their objectives. Even the much vaunted French Resistance didn't engage until it was clear the Allies were winning.
Old 14-03-15, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribyn View Post
I think there was a touch of irony in the original post regarding the number being issued but in fact they are already selling for more on ebay! One sold recently for £22.00 with £2.50 for postage! Remember the original offer was "free" with £2.50 for p&p. They may, of course, be going to buyers outside the UK as I believe the original offer was for UK residents only.

I didn't buy mine as an investment, I just liked the look of a nice commemorative Waterloo medal for what seemed like a very reasonable overall cost.
I would have taken it for the look and for the privilege of having it. I was put off by the horror stories of others.

Interesting that it's selling for good money on E-bay. Sorry that I didn't get the irony.
Old 22-03-15, 05:12 PM

Smile

I bought this medallion at the Waterloo Museum which is located at he bottom of the Lion Mound. It is similar to the rejected 2 Euro coin. The coin with Napoleon on is a spoof from a British newspaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img879.jpg (93.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg img880.jpg (99.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg _81578974_2-euro-2015-waterloo.jpg (54.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg img881.jpg (94.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 22-03-15, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I can see a time, potentially, when they say that. Especially given the embarrassment of the French with their widespread collaboration with the Nazis to the extent that Vichy French Forces engaged Allied units on many occasions to prevent them achieving their objectives. Even the much vaunted French Resistance didn't engage until it was clear the Allies were winning.
I think that the writer should study, particularly, the Battle of Vercors (June/July 1944) in which c 4,000 maquisards tied down c 10,000 mostly Wehrmacht troops at a time when it was far from clear that the Allies were winning the Battle of Normandy and consider revising his final sentence. Fatal French casualties exceeded German by approx. 4 to 1. Mike
Old 22-03-15, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I think that the writer should study, particularly, the Battle of Vercors (June/July 1944) in which c 4,000 maquisards tied down c 10,000 mostly Wehrmacht troops at a time when it was far from clear that the Allies were winning the Battle of Normandy and consider revising his final sentence. Fatal French casualties exceeded German by approx. 4 to 1. Mike
I see your point. Hastings does normally make sweeping statements without considering such happenings. It's one of the reasons why I always check his facts twice. In general he does have a point however.