British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-22, 02:18 PM

Default Can any body help me please.

Dear Friends.

I very much hope some one can help me regarding what medals my uncle would have been entitled to during his war service.

His name is Sergeant Phillip Edward Berry a member of the Army Physical Training Corps.

Phil died in March 1945 while serving in Colchester of a Cerebral Hemorrhage.

He was never married and to the best of my knowledge never received any medals. At least none of the family have ever seen any.

I do not have his service number but there is a possibility I can get this information if needed.

I believe Phil volunteered for service in the Army just before the Germans occupied Jersey in 1940. All the rest of the family were deported to Germany as internees to both Bad Wurzach or in his brother Sydneys case Biberach.

We would very much like to know what medals Phil may have been entitled to even though he did not actually survive the war.

If there is any member of the Forum who can help with this request I would be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Ki8nd regards

Chris Walker
signalsbadges@gmail.com
Old 20-04-22, 02:30 PM

Best thing to do is to get his service history as that should tell you his entitlement and if he served overseas etc. This is the url https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
Old 20-04-22, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Chris

You would need his service record to see where he went and with what units to give you any idea. If he had stayed in UK then he would have been entitled to the War medal 1939-45. Depending on his service (3 years in UK but less for overseas) then he may have been entitiled to the Defence Medal.

Alan
Old 20-04-22, 04:44 PM

Default Medal entitlement

You do not need a full service record which costs £30 last time I did it you just need to apply for medal entitlement it costs nothing but you need a death certificate and 25years to have lapsed from time of death.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-c...nd-eligibility

When filling in the form simply put medal entitlement it is free
Old 20-04-22, 04:47 PM

Default Medals

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/fi...-edward-berry/

You don’t need his death certificate as he died in service just print this off of the CWGC web site any problems give me a bell
Old 20-04-22, 04:48 PM

Default Medals

If his medals were not claimed then the nok can claim them it’s all on the Govt web site but ask for his entitlement first
Old 21-04-22, 01:18 PM

Default Can Any one help.

Dear Friends.

Thank you all for coming back to me regarding my Uncle Phil Berry and the information you have been kind enough to give me.

We applied for his Military Record back in January and paid the £30 as requested. No acknowledgment yet from any body.

At the same time we applied for my Uncle Bobs Military Records from the RAF and sent the £30. We had his records back from RAF Hendon in March. Very efficient we thought.

Pretty sure all his War Service was carried out in the UK and hence our thought is he may only be entitled to the 1939-45 War Medal and quite possibly the Defence Medal as Alan O has said.

Thanks for the information Holyboy. I will probably contact you direct as not sure what I have printed off is correct.

Once we have definate information I will come back to the Forum to advise how I have got on.

Thank you so much guys. Have also been advised that hsi details are on the Ancestry site but you have to be a member to obtain information.

Excellent result from you all at present.

Thank you all so much.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
signalsbadges@gmail.com
Old 22-04-22, 08:03 AM

Hi Chris - your Uncle has a Commonwealth War Grave - he's buried in Ipswich Old Cemetery ( Section C Grave 74 ) - Service No: 1352622. He was 33 when he died on 3 March. Hope this helps. Tim
Old 22-04-22, 08:04 AM

Sorry just seen the whole thread - I was beaten to it.