British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-03-15, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
My own experience is from the modern army too however, albeit not post Options for Change. But as a cavalryman I am very cognisant of the fact that we did things differently; sometimes in a way which would have seemed unusual to those from the General Service Corps.

As for the Victorian age: I haven't made a particular study of RP in that era but as you can see from one of my answers above I'm not entirely ignorant of military practice both pre and post Cardwell. so I don't think I'm absolutely wide of the mark in my opinions. It's always nice to learn something new though so if you've got anything to share I'd love to see it. I always find I can never learn enough from others.
Cough....splutter 'General Service Corps'...I don't think a unit exists under that title outside of wartime, although it's cap badge does. Joking aside, my original comments related largely to the Victorian period & WW1 because that was the OPs photo. I expanded a little to the modern army in the next post as that principle that I had outlined did not change in the conservative infantry battalion that I first served with. All RPs had to have at least 2-years in a rifle company.
The photos I will show are all much older though.