British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-12-14, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
Yes thats been covered in Post #9 above, but those circumstaces do not apply in this case as the original medals have simply been 'lost'

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 27-12-14, 11:03 PM

I stand corrected, but its nice to see why in print...

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 28-12-14, 04:45 PM

Thank you for the education gentlemen. I didn't know half of this stuff.
Old 28-12-14, 06:01 PM

WW II not named unless done private As stated in previous posts you are a novice
David
Old 28-12-14, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
WW II not named unless done private As stated in previous posts you are a novice
David
When it comes to medals mate I know even less than I do about badges. History is my strongest suit and even then, only in some areas. Let's just call me an interested participant eh?
Old 29-12-14, 10:22 AM

As already posted, far easier to buy original medals, all are fairly cheap to buy and commonly seen, though the F&G star probably less so than the other 3.

Jerry
Old 29-12-14, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
As already posted, far easier to buy original medals, all are fairly cheap to buy and commonly seen, though the F&G star probably less so than the other 3.
Thanks mate. Just goes to show however. I had a quote from a geezer in England just today - £200 to buy the medals, have them court mounted and then framed. Is it just me or is that expensive?
Old 29-12-14, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Thanks mate. Just goes to show however. I had a quote from a geezer in England just today - £200 to buy the medals, have them court mounted and then framed. Is it just me or is that expensive?
That seems like a lot to me. The framing can be quite pricey as might the court mounting but on that I don't know. The medals should cost between £10-15 each, though can be found cheaper if you are patient.

To me it seems a lot for the set, is that just one set or two sets of medals, mounting and framing?

Jerry
Old 29-12-14, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
That seems like a lot to me. The framing can be quite pricey as might the court mounting but on that I don't know. The medals should cost between £10-15 each, though can be found cheaper if you are patient.

To me it seems a lot for the set, is that just one set or two sets of medals, mounting and framing?
That was just one set mate. Court mounted and framed.

I could almost feel my wallet writhing in pain. Must be all those years I spent living in Scotland.

I was able to track all of those medals down (originals) for between £7 - £12. Some even included ribbons.

I was blessed however when a nameless donor offered to send me the bare, original medals FOC. The benevolence of some of the membership here is tremendous. The chap wouldn't even accept postage.
Old 29-12-14, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
It can add up if you include return postage.

http://www.empiremedals.com/pages/me...FQHJtAodGQ8AYQ

I think Swing Mounting is more authentic for WWII Medals.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 29-12-14, 10:16 PM

That's a matter of opinion mate. I don't see Phil the Greek with them swinging, do you? Mind you if they were and a good breeze caught them these days he'd be off like a bird in flight.
Old 16-04-15, 05:51 PM

I'm bumping this thread because, after some months waiting, I've finally resolved my medal issue. A complete set was donated FOC by a member here who I can't thank enough. After removing previously applied lacquer and obtaining new ribbons and a frame with a suitably engraved plaque from messdress.com I took the lot to a local tailor (County Armagh and County Down and Country Tyrone members take note) and he court mounted the lot and fitted them into the presentation frame. This was presented to my brother several nights ago and he is over the moon to get them. My mother and younger brother are now intending to have theirs done the same way.

Along the way I discovered the lacquer "Frigilene" which is one of the few compounds suitable for coating polished metals to prevent tarnishing.

Here's the finished product.

DSCF1559.jpg
Old 16-04-15, 09:08 PM

They look very good, a worthy tribute to and commemoration of your father.

Tim
Old 17-04-15, 11:26 AM

Great looking display! Thanks for the tip on Frigilene too.

Just noticed the details on the plaque, was he in the Welch Regiment before transfer to the Pioneer Corps?

Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 17-04-15 at 11:35 AM.
Old 17-04-15, 12:40 PM

I put a set together a few years ago the same four stars and medals. I couldn't get a reply from a prominent "framer" on the interweb (on holiday it turned out).
In a mad rush I bought a set of repros for 60 quid, printed out a copy of a studio photo of the recipient and a photo from a wartime magazine showing him and others about to stage an attack in Normandy. bought modern made cap badge. shoulder title and a repro div sign, a small anodised metal plaque. and a local studio pulled the stops out to make a frame and mount everything up for me.
Looked good.
Unfortunately it wouldn't fit in a suitcase and I had to post it abroad - postage cost £70, so all in all knocked me back about £270.
The relative I gave it to had bought a set of four original stars and medals while in UK - for the same amount I'd paid for copies, and he had the recipients original cap badge and shoulder title (which I'd passed on to him a while back).
So you can guess what quite reasonably and sensibly happened to the being I'd had put in the frame....
I'd tried buying things like badge. backing regimental silk etc from the original company I'd contacted when they caught up with me by email. but nothing came of that. they just persisted in trying to get me to buy the whole kit and caboodle from them despite being aware they couldn't fulfil the order in time.