British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-03-08, 12:51 AM
ulsterman

Default Ulster Home Guard

Hello,

from my London Irish topic I thought I would share this photo of the local Ulster Home Guard platoon. Notice the officers are wearing a silver/white metal version of the UHG badge.

Jonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0022.jpg (80.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 15-03-08, 12:12 PM

Was there not something odd about the Ulster Home Guard insofar as they were, in some way, attached to the Royal Ulster Constabulary? Or am I getting confused with the 'A', 'B' and 'C' specials? It would certainly be interesting to see a few more RIC or RUC material in this forum.
Old 15-03-08, 12:24 PM
ulsterman

From a Home Guard website; (www.home-guard.org.uk)

In mainland Britain, the Home Guard were administered through their county Territorial Army Associations. Members of the Home Guard also attested (swore a military oath of allegiance to the Crown) and were, therefore, a legitimate part of the Armed Forces of the Crown.

"In Ulster there was no Territorial Army and so the Ulster Home Guard was administered through the Royal Ulster Constabulary and members were sworn in as Special Constables. This may not seem to be too much of a problem but as Special Constables, the Ulster Home Guard were not technically part of the Armed Forces of the Crown, were not protected by the Geneva Convention and if they took up arms against an invading enemy could, legally, be shot as partisans or guerillas. It is also of interest to note that Platoon Sergeant W.B. Anderson of the Ulster Home Guard was awarded the British Empire Medal (Civil Division) whereas all other awards of the medal (and OBE's & MBE's) to members of the Home Guard were Military Division awards.

This strange situation was not noticed until 1942 when members of the Ulster Home Guard were re-attested as members of the Armed Forces of the Crown. They continued to wear the Royal Ulster Constabulary cap badge"

Attached is a picture of special constables circa 1924
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0016a.jpg (74.6 KB, 45 views)
Old 15-03-08, 12:35 PM

Thank you for the full and prompt reply - that was the sequence of events that I was trying to recall. I take it that there was no change in terms of their cap badges.
Old 15-03-08, 12:55 PM
ulsterman

Yes, they continued wearing the badge of the RUC and yellow on khaki shoulders titles and county battalion.

Jonny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pics April 07 277.jpg (45.7 KB, 52 views)
Old 18-04-08, 11:33 AM

Here is an Ulster Home Guard badge listed on ebay

Item number: 170209883242

Cheers, Michael