British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-04-17, 05:20 PM

Default Hi, folks.. an ideas about this old Police cap... U.S. ?

Hi folks, im Scott
and just found this forum whilst trying to ID an old Police cap.
Have attempted to post a thread with images but got a message stating it would need some sort of Mod verification before being visible,
any ideas how long that maight take plz.
Many thanks

i wonder if i can post pics here ???

Old 02-04-17, 05:58 PM

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum.

Your guess that the cap may be from the US is spot on. The badge shows the coat of arms of the state of Maryland.

Arthur
Old 02-04-17, 06:19 PM

It is more than likely from the City of Baltimore. The cap itself is "generic" and is worn by many different US police depts.

Dave.
Old 02-04-17, 07:15 PM

Hello

I suppose the button could be a generic US Police button but according to a well respected Railway Buttons book it was also used by Pullman, the railway company.

Any chance that the cap is a 'made-up' item?

Roger
Old 02-04-17, 07:40 PM

The "P" design button is a "generic" version used by police depts. in the US who do not have their own custom buttons. It comes in various sizes. I suppose the "P" could represent anything the user wished it to, including for uniformed door staff at the "Paramount Hotel" or whatever.

Dave.
Old 02-04-17, 07:55 PM

Hi Scott

I'd agree with Arthur and Dave that this is a Baltimore City Park Police badge (see link):

http://baltimorecitypolicehistory.co...rk-police.html

As to Roger's suggestion that the cap may be 'made up' it is possible - the link shows that the BCPP had custom buttons at one time but they wouldn't be the first, or last, force to change designs over time.

I'd also add that the cap is probably for wear in the Summer - I have had similar items with an open-weave band to allow the wearer's head to 'breathe'. Caps with a closed weave - or even fur caps - would be worn during the Winter months.

Nice find regardless

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 03-04-17, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottb View Post
Hi folks, im Scott
and just found this forum whilst trying to ID an old Police cap.
Have attempted to post a thread with images but got a message stating it would need some sort of Mod verification before being visible,
any ideas how long that maight take plz.
Many thanks

i wonder if i can post pics here ???

I see that this item is now for sale elsewhere. Yet another individual who is milking information and then walking away without even a word of thanks!

Dave.
Old 03-04-17, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
I see that this item is now for sale elsewhere. Yet another individual who is milking information and then walking away without even a word of thanks!

Dave.
Yes, I must admit that this sort of thing really annoys me. Firstly it clearly goes against the Forum rules; secondly it just takes advantage of the good nature and hard work of the experts on here; and thirdly it is just so impolite not even to offer it to members first or even say 'thank you' to Dave and Graham for their comments!

Perhaps it's my imagination but it seems that the Forum is more and more turning into an information/valuation forum for new members just for ebay selling purposes! Then again, perhaps I'm just getting cynical in my old age!

Roger
Old 03-04-17, 02:57 PM

Not your old age Roger, it is a sentiment shared across all ages.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 03-04-17, 04:02 PM

It is a shared sentiment.
Why not ask for a new rule: ban new members if they fail to observe this rule.
They are only here to help them make money. They will not contribute.
Old 03-04-17, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
It is a shared sentiment.
Why not ask for a new rule: ban new members if they fail to observe this rule.
They are only here to help them make money. They will not contribute.
A good idea but I fear that it will not solve the problem. The guy in question is unlikely to return anyway. He's got what he wanted and that was clearly his sole object in joining. There must be a great many individuals who join, ask a question about an item, get an answer and never post again. I wonder what then happens, do they "fall off" the system after a period or do they remain in suspended animation for ever? Perhaps they should be allowed to browse for a specified period (a month) and then only after the expiration of that period can they post. It would stop those seeking information for an immediate commercial purpose (selling). I don't suppose that will end the practice but it would make it more difficult.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 03-04-17 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-04-17, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altcar73 View Post
A good idea but I fear that it will not solve the problem. The guy in question is unlikely to return anyway. He's got what he wanted and that was clearly his sole object in joining. There must be a great many individuals who join, ask a question about an item, get an answer and never post again. I wonder what then happens, do they "fall off" the system after a period or do they remain in suspended animation for ever? Perhaps they should be allowed to browse for a specified period (a month) and then only after the expiration of that period can they post. It would stop those seeking information for an immediate commercial purpose (selling). I don't suppose that will end the practice but it would make it more difficult.

Dave.
As there is no membership renewal of the Forum, I suspect that it is once a member always a member. Perhaps that's why there are so many members but so few regular posters.

Obviously it is not for us to tell the Mods how to run their site but I do agree that a 'running in' period as a member before being able to ask questions like this one might go some way to solving the problem.

I know there are those members who will say that this is not a problem but I do feel as if I am being taken for a ride at times. If someone is upfront about wanting information or a valuation for sales purposes then that's fine by me. It's just the rather sneaky "I'm a genuine collector wanting knowledge (but secretly intending to sell)" attitude that I don't like.

It often takes me a little time and effort to come up with an answer (when I can) and I don't mind this for genuine queries. However, when it turns out that the item is then put up for sale and the seller just couldn't be bothered to do his/her own research then it does grate a little. It tends to make me wary about coming forward with information unless I know who the poster is.

Roger

PS Thank you Thomas for your reassuring comments! I thought I was just becoming a grumpy old man (well, I am really but it's nice to know I am not the only one with these thoughts).
Old 03-04-17, 08:21 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. I have been a beneficiary of advice on several occasions and I have been very grateful of the advice and guidance that has been offered. I have tried to help others whenever possible within my extremely limited knowledge range. However, like yourself, I feel it unacceptable that some people take advantage of the available expertise on offer from the experts on the forum. Perhaps as one gets older, one tends to becomes less tolerant .....perhaps it basically boils down to fundamental good manners.
Old 03-04-17, 08:46 PM

And this item isn't even remotely British or Commonwealth. I completely fail to understand why some join here to ask identification and valuation of items obviously not even slightly related to the aim of this forum (e.g nazi paraphernalia). As if there aren't any sources more knowledgeable or appropriate for that kind of gear out there.
It sometimes seems Google search is no longer free in some parts of the world??? Come on, at least try to give it a go yourself.

Still, as long as fellow forum members are willing to help these cases not much will change I guess.

Another pet peeve of mine is the unwillingness or inability to properly rotate images before posting, which is occurring more and more recently.
What makes these persons think I'm willing to make time to make the trek to my reference library to help them identify an upside down or sideways image if they apparently don't even care about properly presenting their case? Uncivilised IMO, at least try and make an effort!

Rant over, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Rgds, Thomas.
Old 03-04-17, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
And this item isn't even remotely British or Commonwealth. I completely fail to understand why some join here to ask identification and valuation of items obviously not even slightly related to the aim of this forum (e.g nazi paraphernalia). As if there aren't any sources more knowledgeable or appropriate for that kind of gear out there.
It sometimes seems Google search is no longer free in some parts of the world??? Come on, at least try to give it a go yourself.

Still, as long as fellow forum members are willing to help these cases not much will change I guess.

Another pet peeve of mine is the unwillingness or inability to properly rotate images before posting, which is occurring more and more recently.
What makes these persons think I'm willing to make time to make the trek to my reference library to help them identify an upside down or sideways image if they apparently don't even care about properly presenting their case? Uncivilised IMO, at least try and make an effort!

Rant over, back to our regularly scheduled program.

Rgds, Thomas.
Thomas, I orientate my images correctly, upload and wham....they have flipped onto their sides. This was not me, it must be the forum software.