British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-03-15, 03:52 AM

Default help with research

Hi everyone,
I need help with the attached photo. This group family portrait was photographed by Dimond Studio Rundle Street Adelaide sometime in WW1.
back of photo has name "Mcleod" I have searched AWM embarkation rolls and isolated 6 possible men, married with South Australian addresses. They embarked for overseas at various times during WW1. To further break them down I need to know -Is the uniform (hat/cap) standard for the duration of the war? Does the lanyard on the left shoulder denote a particular branch or unit?
thanks
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0037.jpg (55.3 KB, 101 views)
Old 06-03-15, 05:39 AM

I'm not up on Australian badges at all but the collar dogs look to be a very distinctive shape.
Old 06-03-15, 07:01 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Jim

The uniform is the first type of jacket, it has a cloth waiste belt and buckle and has flat 4 hole buttons. The belt lost its tongue and buckle later and the buttons became the familliar domed blackened brass button with the map of Australia. The jacket has collar dogs, some dont. The trousers are of a "nicker bocker" type and finnish just below the knee, thats why they baloon around the knee. The men wore long johns and long sox with the puttees wound up from the boots to over the lower end of the trousers. Light horse jodpurs were longer going down to the calf but still not to the ankle, they wore heavy leather leggings from the boots up to just below the knees.

It was common to be issued with a cap rather than a slouch hat when you enlisted. The hats seem to have been issued later and some men wore the cap in Galopolli others wore the slouch hat but the tin hat wasnt issued till 1916 when they were in the western front.

There are a lot of photos like this taken before the men embarked with them wearing peaked caps. Sorry I cant see a lanyard but that wouldnt tell us much, I suspect hes infantry, the only thing we can say is that hes not light hores,

I hope that this helps.

Regards

Phil.
Old 06-03-15, 08:02 PM

Hi Phil,
Thanks for this useful information.
regards,
Jim
Old 06-03-15, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I'm not up on Australian badges at all but the collar dogs look to be a very distinctive shape.
The collar dogs are standard Australian rising sun badges worn by all Australian troops (same size as the cap badge but smaller than the slouch hat badge).
Jim
Old 07-03-15, 10:26 AM

Talking

Jim

Why dont you give me a ring on 0401 010 626 and drop up to the Upwey RSL Running Rabbits Military Museum, we are open on Sundays from 10 to 2 pm. Have a good talk, some lunch and a cold beer.

Regards

Phil.
Old 10-03-15, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post
Jim

Why dont you give me a ring on 0401 010 626 and drop up to the Upwey RSL Running Rabbits Military Museum, we are open on Sundays from 10 to 2 pm. Have a good talk, some lunch and a cold beer.

Regards

Phil.
Hi Phil,
Sounds like a plan! Next Sunday. I look forward to meeting up with you.
Jim
Old 11-03-15, 01:15 AM

hi jim
you say you have narrowed it down to 6 possible men, married with South Australian addresses, but i come up with this list
378 McLEOD, Alexander
2819 McLEOD, John George
645 McLEOD, Norman
6796 McLEOD, Norman Love

i think he is infantry and i think its an early war pic so i have narrowed it down to the bottom 2. both early infantry.

the only thing is both these chaps were 29yrs on enlistment but your chap looks older?

national archives service record for 645 mcleod says he wasnt married but then an entry made later to say he is.
bc

this chap has a child but enlisted 1916?
Norman Love McLEOD

Regimental number 6796
Religion Presbyterian
Occupation Sign contractor
Address Parkside, South Australia
Marital status Married
Age at embarkation 29
Next of kin Wife, Mrs A M McLeod C/o A J Whitrow, Matilda Street, Eastwood, South Australia
Enlistment date 4 September 1916
Rank on enlistment Private
Unit name 10th Battalion, 22nd Reinforcement
AWM Embarkation Roll number 23/27/4
Embarkation details Unit embarked from Adelaide, South Australia, on board HMAT A19 Afric on 7 November 1916
Rank from Nominal Roll Private
Unit from Nominal Roll 10th Battalion
Fate Died of disease 14 June 1917
Place of burial Brookwood Military Cemetery (Plot XI, Row D, Grave No. 18), Surrey, England, England
Old 13-03-15, 12:45 AM

Hi BC,
First off I would like to thank you for the time and effort you have gone to in providing the info on the 4 possibles. This is what I love about this site - very expert and extremely helpful enthusiasts.
I also short-listed these 4 men after discounting a further two that on reflection didn't meet the criteria. (one was ALH and the other was single).
378 Alexander Mcleod is my choice as he also enlisted in 1916 and is aged 33 He looks about that age in the pic.
I would be interested in your thoughts on him as a possible candidate. Any idea what the lanyard represents?
Regards
Jim
Old 15-03-15, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBODIXON View Post
Hi Phil,
Sounds like a plan! Next Sunday. I look forward to meeting up with you.
Jim
Yesterday I had the privilege of visiting the Running Rabbits Military Museum as a guest of Lancer17 A.K.A Phil. This museum is attached to the Upwey-Belgrave RSL in Upwey Victoria. If you get the chance it is a "must see" experience. The museum is home to a large array of weapons, uniforms, memorabilia such as trench art to some heavy gear including an Ikara missile, Leopard tank and a 105mm cannon. The museum is dedicated to those Aussie heroes who fought the Japs along the Kokoda track. The meal in the bistro was an excellent bonus to a fascinating visit. After all this it was off to view Phil's awesome badge collection. What a day! Thanks Phil.
Jim
Old 29-03-15, 11:44 AM

Talking

Yesterday l had the chance for a return visit to look at Jims amazing eclectic collection that ranges from badges to trench art including 3 modle tanks, swords, bayonets, leather wear, fabulous sets of folding officers campaign cutlery and an amazing Vic Pre Fed glass Artillery bottle not to mention some of Samuel Colts and Oliver Winchesters finest !! The burger and chips and nice strong coffee were great too. Thanks for a great day I am "privelidged". Thanks mate.

Lets do it again soon.

Regarrds

Phil.
Old 29-03-15, 01:11 PM

It's great to see the development of camaraderie such as this within the Forum. Well done guys!

Donny B.
Old 30-03-15, 12:24 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Donny

When are you going to drop in, you cant be far away. I have had Dean / Mooke 07 in for badges, pizza and a bottle of red a couple of times.

Send me a message and "Come on Down" and join Jim and I for a bull session.

Regards

Phil.
Old 30-03-15, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the invite, Phil, and I would love to take up your offer, but from the South West....we would love some rain.....corner of the country to Melbourne could hardly be a "drop in".

Donny B.
Old 30-03-15, 06:32 PM

Orders for AIF provide for the issue of a clasp knife to be carried on the man on a lanyard. There doesn't appear to have been a specific type of lanyard issued and most blokes appear to have provided their own in a variety of styles and materials.

Lanyards coloured on a corps or regimental basis did not come into use until 1930 or after and were unofficial up until 1952. So the lanyard during the Great War isn't an indicator of unit. He is wearing dismounted dress however which would probably confirm the conclusions already reached.

Keith