British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-02-11, 05:24 PM
Peter J

I wonder if Paul (Coldstream) has a photo in his fantastic postcard collection.

PJ
Old 03-02-11, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
The Other Rank is wearing Rifles buttons.

I am not sure about the Officer, he could be wearing those leather buttons that officers sometimes did.

Anyway, judge for yourself.
He is wearing the black 'ball' buttons worn by officers of the KRR.
Old 04-02-11, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
However, I do not know whether the 6th's officers wore the corded boss style of cap badge.
As the pre-1908 2nd City of London Rifles they did, I see no reason why they wouldn't have carried on the tradition.
Old 04-02-11, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
As the pre-1908 2nd City of London Rifles they did, I see no reason why they wouldn't have carried on the tradition.
Thanks for that Keith, I would agree that if they did before then they should still. Most of the rifle regiments adopted cord boss type cap badges for their officers in field caps. In conclusion then it could be either the 6th London's, or the KRR, but it's difficult to be definitive which.
Old 25-07-15, 10:06 AM

Are my eyes fooling me, or is there a faint impression of collar dogs on the lieutenant's lapels? I don't think any are actually there, more like a mark on the jacket fabric where a collar dog would have been fitted.

IIRC, officers in most of the London battalions with KRRC-style badges also wore regimental collar dogs. The KRRC did not.

Dress regulations should also have them wearing the "T" for TF I guess.

Another thought is that the shape of the mark resembles a "C" - could this be 1st Cadet Battalion KRRC? But then why would the officer have a pair up? And a Gor Blimey cap?

Perhaps memories of the KRRC 1st Cadet MG Section Tuck postcard below are distracting me.

What is the cannon anyway?

Mark
Old 26-07-15, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrockway View Post
Are my eyes fooling me, or is there a faint impression of collar dogs on the lieutenant's lapels? I don't think any are actually there, more like a mark on the jacket fabric where a collar dog would have been fitted.

IIRC, officers in most of the London battalions with KRRC-style badges also wore regimental collar dogs. The KRRC did not.

Dress regulations should also have them wearing the "T" for TF I guess.

Another thought is that the shape of the mark resembles a "C" - could this be 1st Cadet Battalion KRRC? But then why would the officer have a pair up? And a Gor Blimey cap?

Perhaps memories of the KRRC 1st Cadet MG Section Tuck postcard below are distracting me.

What is the cannon anyway?

Mark
Yes the London's wore collar badges, the KRR and RB did not, and until 1916, most London's wore the 'T'.

It's not a cannon but a Maxim MMG on a wheeled carriage.
Old 26-07-15, 04:16 PM

There are collar badges as worn by The Rifle Brigade in Churchill.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-07-15, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
There are collar badges as worn by The Rifle Brigade in Churchill.

P.B.
Yes indeed, but they were not 'generally' worn with service dress. Instead, both regiments preferred shoulder titles, although not all troubled to wear them:

1. http://www.antiquestovintage.com/wp-.../06/411790.jpg

2. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7q3Do_yuYY...rme+-+Copy.jpg

3. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Willey1918.jpg

4. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...05913bc71a.jpg

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 26-07-15 at 11:20 PM.
Old 26-07-15, 07:29 PM

Toby,

As a matter of interest this is a copy of a letter sent to me in 1976 by Laurie Archer which mentions bronze Rifle Brigade collars.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 26-07-15, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Toby,

As a matter of interest this is a copy of a letter sent to me in 1976 by Laurie Archer which mentions bronze Rifle Brigade collars.

Peter
I never doubted you Peter. The fact remains it was official RB policy, along with KRR not to wear collar badges but to wear shoulder titles. As the images I have posted show, most officers followed that line. That there were some battalions that behaved differently is also clear and the Service battalions of all regiments were notorious for doing things in their own way. Indeed ORs of many Service battalions wore collar badges intended for full dress on their SD even though it was expressly forbidden by clothing regulations.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 27-07-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 27-07-15, 12:07 AM

Quote:
It's not a cannon but a Maxim MMG on a wheeled carriage.
I called it 'cannon' because signalman, the OP, had named his image files "tiny cannon"

I had it clocked as a Boer War vintage 200lbs Mark IV RML 7 pounder Mountain Gun.

Cf. these British RML 7 pounders captured by the Boers at Kraaipan

It doesn't look like a Maxim machine gun to me.
Old 27-07-15, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Yes the London's wore collar badges, the KRR and RB did not, and until 1916, most London's wore the 'T'.
Are we saying then that the Londons dropped the 'T' after the old pre-1908 affiliations were restored in 1916 then?

They were stilll TF units of course and AFAIK they remained administered by the London TF rather than the Rifles.

Was it just the London battalions that dropped the 'T'? Or was this across all the TF nationwide?

Forgive my ignorance, but was there a change to the Dress Regulations on this in 1916?

That's an important fact for photo dating.
Old 27-07-15, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Yes indeed, but they were not 'generally' worn with service dress. Instead, both regiments preferred shoulder titles, although not all troubled to wear them:

1. http://www.antiquestovintage.com/wp-.../06/411790.jpg

2. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7q3Do_yuYY...rme+-+Copy.jpg

3. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Willey1918.jpg

4. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...05913bc71a.jpg
My own KRR officer photos split roughly 50:50 with- vs without- STs.

No collar badges of course except for crossed rifle and shovel of the two Great War pioneer battalions (and presumably also the pioneers in the four regular battalions).
Old 27-07-15, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Toby,

Peter
Peter - a most interesting letter. I'll send Andy Pay a link.

Are Churchill & Westlake specific about when the RB may have worn collar badges? I don't have a copy.

On a slight tangent, can you advise whether officers of the 6th KLR wore corded boss cap badges? I also do not have access to any of Irv Mortensen's CI articles on these and it would be useful to know!

Many thanks.
Mark
Old 27-07-15, 06:42 AM

Hello Mark,

Will check Churhill later but yes officers of the 6th Kings wore boss badges,a khaki boss in service dress and a red boss in full dress.

Peter