British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-06-08, 06:27 PM

Smile Photo Info

From reading the replies about this photograph, some people have rightly mentioned the fact that there is evidence of WWI service by the medal ribbons. Many older servicemen were sporting "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred" along with "Mutt and Jeff" during WWII, I have the uniform of the former landlord of one of my "watering holes" bearing WWI and WWII ribbons. He saw overseas service in both wars. Incidently, he left the services in the 1930's due to the fact that promotion was not forthcoming, so 26 years and a Sgt, very likely!

A very good point about belts. I did notice the belts looked shiny and the thoughts of Home Guard also crossed my mind, the reason I did not put this point forward was the fact that the Sgts were wearing the peaked caps which I do not think HG other ranks wore, only Officers wore this from photographic evidence I have seen. I may be wrong about this point, but there is also a lack of HG insignia, earlier, units wore denims with "HOME GUARD" patches, later followed by the s/title, county designation, and numeral. I have never seen any photographic evidence of service dress.

As for the belts, well I think it was a case of anything to keep your trousers up!

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 06-06-08 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-06-08, 07:09 PM

I too thought of this and so checked, the peaked cap was never official issue, it was a private purchase item, and could well have been kept from previous service or purchased at their own expense, especially if they liked the old salt look ;-), (see Cpl Jones in series one of Dads army :-) ), however I agree they are probably not, although I thought it best to pop the idea in adn see if anything came out of it.

Tom
Old 06-06-08, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
From reading the replies about this photograph, some people have rightly mentioned the fact that there is evidence of WWI service by the medal ribbons. Many older servicemen were sporting "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred" along with "Mutt and Jeff" during WWII, I have the uniform of the former landlord of one of my "watering holes" bearing WWI and WWII ribbons. He saw overseas service in both wars. Incidently, he left the services in the 1930's due to the fact that promotion was not forthcoming, so 26 years and a Sgt, very likely!

A very good point about belts. I did notice the belts looked shiny and the thoughts of Home Guard also crossed my mind, the reason I did not put this point forward was the fact that the Sgts were wearing the peaked caps which I do not think HG other ranks wore, only Officers wore this from photographic evidence I have seen. I may be wrong about this point, but there is also a lack of HG insignia, earlier, units wore denims with "HOME GUARD" patches, later followed by the s/title, county designation, and numeral. I have never seen any photographic evidence of service dress.

As for the belts, well I think it was a case of anything to keep your trousers up!
I am positive that the Home Guard (previuosly Local Defence Volunteers (LDV)) were never issued with SD. Initially in civiian clothes, they later received a mix of serge and denim BD. The FSC was worn with only officers and occasionally WOs wearing SD caps.
Old 06-06-08, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post

I am positive that the Home Guard (previously Local Defence Volunteers (LDV)) were never issued with SD. Initially in civilian clothes, they later received a mix of serge and denim BD. The FSC was worn with only officers and occasionally WOs wearing SD caps.
Old 07-06-08, 07:37 AM

Interesting following all of this thread and your thoughts. The relatives in England swear the man seated on the far right (when looking at the pic) is George Darnell (who is on one of my other threads). Is it at all possible?? We know that George was a Pte in WW1 and with 8th Manchester, discharged April 1919 XVI A. Is it likely he is now back in uniform and a (Lance Corporal?? I think by above comments).? I'll crop his picture and put in on.
Sandie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image207.jpg (43.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Image207 - Copy.JPG (26.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg George Darnell Medal Card - Copy.jpg (66.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by SandieNZ; 07-06-08 at 10:44 AM. Reason: amended discharge date
Old 07-06-08, 10:26 AM

Smile Photo identity

This latest photo offering, showing the whole shot is very interesting, the man 5th from left could be wearing battledress, I cannot see that well, but certainly all others are wearing leather belts with service dress and the f/s cap apart from those seated.
Are the dates for the relative correct? You say he was discharged in 1913, surely this would not have qualified him for his WWI medal ribbons.
Old 07-06-08, 10:45 AM

oops, reading wrong line - have edited above
Sandie
Old 08-06-08, 02:05 AM

Yes Sandie, it is very possible. A great many WW1 veterans rejoined the colours both in the UK and in the (then) Dominions. In the UK a large number joined the Pioneer Corps and ended up helping form a rear guard for the beaches at Dunkirk. It is recorded in the German records of that time that the British soldiers who opposed them at that point on the perimeter were very good marksmen !