British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-01-16, 01:33 PM

Default The Loyal Regiment QE2 byJ.R.Gaunt London

A dealer on E bay has an identical version of this badge for sale at £90. My example which has just arrived in todays post cost me £12 inclusive of p and p from another dealers web site.

I do wonder that there are mint examples of this badge available which presumably dates from some considerable time ago.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2100.jpg (67.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2101.jpg (82.1 KB, 86 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-01-16, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Peter,

I have a used one with a cut down slider and hand painted rose. My understanding was that this was a standard modification. I believe they were only worn by the TA as the Regular Bn were wearing the Bde badge for a number of years before the a/a ones were produced. I don't know if cadets wore them as well but I expect that the ACF did.

As for £12 then that's a very good price. £90 is 2-3 times the usual auction price.

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 21-01-16 at 02:29 PM. Reason: sp
Old 21-01-16, 02:21 PM

Peter both mine Q/C [gaunt London ] and K/C [R.A.HUGHES -rived slider ] like your are mint I obtained mine as I have said before early 1980's 1/2 carrier bag full included 3 Lancs fusiliers Less than a £1.00 each
David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 21-01-16 at 02:46 PM.
Old 21-01-16, 02:25 PM

Thanks Alan and David.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-01-16, 02:51 PM

The 5th (TA) Bn did wear this badge which would include the Isle of Man Company. I think maybe Peter has an image from a copy of Soldier Magazine with the IoM Coy
4th (Cdt) Bn The Loyal Regt also did (the Leyland Det C Coy were for a short period 1949-52 badged RA)
Paul
Addendum - 1967 seen the IoM Coy disband and the 4th Cdt Bn renamed 6th Cdt Bn Loyal Regt
The 5th became The Loyal Coy of the Lanvashire Volunteers

Last edited by Paul Spellman; 21-01-16 at 03:00 PM.
Old 21-01-16, 03:17 PM

Paul,

A picture of the visit to Tynwald by Princess Margaret was on the front cover of Soldier magazine in October 1965 and mention is made of the path to Tynwald Hill being lined by a Guard of Honour including Territorials of the Isle of Man company of the 5th Battalion, The Loyal Regiment.

Unfortunately I only have a copy of the inside page with a description of the front cover and not a copy of the front cover itself.

Peter.

Old 21-01-16, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
A dealer on E bay has an identical version of this badge for sale at £90. My example which has just arrived in todays post cost me £12 inclusive of p and p from another dealers web site.

I do wonder that there are mint examples of this badge available which presumably dates from some considerable time ago.

Any thoughts or comments appreciated.

P.B.
£12 is a steal Peter. Iain sold one for a similar price to the one quoted above.
Old 22-01-16, 02:51 AM

Hi Peter,

It is a good badge and very good value at 12GBP.

While I remember; as Alan said probably only worn by the TA battalion as were many other A/A cap badges.

Regards,

Chris
Old 22-01-16, 09:34 AM

Found this image I stored.
April 1967 (the Cadets rebadged to the QLR in 1971)
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (38.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 22-01-16, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
Found this image I stored.
April 1967 (the Cadets rebadged to the QLR in 1971)
Paul
Hi Paul,

Cadets at the time were badged to their local TA battalion. Any idea where the cadet unit was located re: photograph?

Regards,

Chris
Old 22-01-16, 07:20 PM

There was a story that they were worn by recruits at the depot . Who upon reaching the Btn were told to throw them away and wear a metal version.
Old 22-01-16, 07:47 PM

Hi Chris,
Drill Hall Chorley was HQ
Coy Dets in Leyland, Hindley,Preston and Bolton where the photo was taken.
Mike, the Regular Loyals wore the Lancastrian Brigade badge c.1958-70 though the Bn wore the Loyal Regt collars on no.2 dress and STs on shirt order.
They amalgamated with the Lancashire Regt to become the QLR after the brigade system finished
Paul
Old 22-01-16, 07:52 PM

I thought there was a gap between the end of the Brigade system and beginning of QLR ? Where you had the Loyals and the Lancashire Rgt (PWV) amalgam of east and south.
Old 23-01-16, 08:29 AM

Hi Mike,
This has came up on here before on an old thread saying they wore a small beret type metal badge with K/C in the 16-18 month period before amalgamation.
One similar in the bottom centre of my image.
I have searched and asked this question a few times and have found no evidence if this was the case or if they wore AA or the Bimetal badge with QC.
The Lancashire PWV had no official cap badge of their own and it has been suggested they wore a collar badge prior to the amalgamation.
I find it surprising that no definitive answer to this has been found considering it is quite a modern period.
I do wander if the continued wearing of the Lancaster Brigade badge was the easy solution rather than some of the answers I have heard
Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (57.7 KB, 53 views)
Old 23-01-16, 11:10 AM

I have to say that I find a number of things in our interest confusing and difficult to get my head round without keeping on going back to reference material.

The first is the changes in titles of Territorial R.A. units and the second is the changes/amalgamations to the Regular Infantry before, during and after the period of the Brigade system and the third the changes to the Territorials in 1967 with the introduction of TAVR. ( keeping track of regiments seems fairly simple and straightforward by comparison pre WW2 )

P.B.