British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-10, 09:50 AM

Default New member with largish inherited collection

Hi I have just registered on this forum after having found it with a general websearch.

I don't really know anyting about military badges, however I have recently inherited a larginsh collection of metal badges, and also some cloth badges, from my late father. He was stationed in Germany on national service in the early 50's, and I think his collection dates from around that time.

The badges have been in a box hidden away for over 30yrs until my mum discovered them recently. I would be interested to have anyones comments on the badges I have, and whether I need to insure them. I would also like to know what the best way to display them would be.

I'm going to try to attach some photos.

THanks in advance for any comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2482.jpg (98.8 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00244-20100912-1957.jpg (47.0 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00243-20100912-1955.jpg (48.8 KB, 231 views)
Old 17-09-10, 06:18 PM

Hello Andy, welcome to the forum!

I don't know anything about German stuff, perhaps thisis a more appropriate forum to ask around:
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/

When I look at the cloth insignia, I see a mixed bag of US and British insignia: qualification badges, badges of rank and formation signs. The most valuable I think would be the winged crown with the lion sitting on top. That is the army flying badge, commonly known as glider pilot wings which are worth around 125 pounds. The one in the top right is a Pegasus patch, the formation sign for the British airborne forces. The value is around 70 pounds. Nothing I see in this lot that would need insurance.
A good way to display cloth insignia is by having them framed, but bear in mind that sunlight will make them fade fast!
Old 17-09-10, 09:00 PM

Default Andy 625

Hi andy
the german badge you have is a german war merit cross 1st class without
swords. complete with box of issue it would probaly cost £200.00 plus if bought from a dealer
hope this helps
paj1
Old 18-09-10, 04:21 PM

Thankyou for the replies. It has inspired me to find out more about the badges I have. I had no idea that individual badges could be worth so much (not that I want to sell them). I would love to know how my dad came to have them all. I think he got them while on national service in the 1950's.
Old 18-09-10, 09:10 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Nice pair of Hants Carabiniers 'T' titles
Old 20-09-10, 12:13 PM

Thanks matti!
Old 21-09-10, 08:20 PM

Cool Badges

What a refreshing change to find someone who has inherited his Fathers collection and shows an interest in them. Welcome to the forum Andy 625, from what I see your Father found some good badges, I like the Hampshire titles, also I think you have part of a Royal Naval Division Drake cap Tally amongst the cloth items.
Old 21-09-10, 08:51 PM

Thankyou! My dad may have been drawn to the Hampshire titles as that's where we live.

Is the Drake cap tally unusual?
Old 22-09-10, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy625 View Post
Thankyou! My dad may have been drawn to the Hampshire titles as that's where we live.
Interesting, as one of the cloth badges you have is the 5th Anti-Aircraft Division. This is the unit that helped defend Southampton and Portsmouth etc during the Blitz.

It is the plane badge below the RA slip-on title. It was worn with the "Flaming Dornier" pointing downwards, symbolising a German bomber that they have shot down in flames.

If your father did his National Service in the 1950s he would have been a schoolboy in 1941 and might have begged the plane and RA badges from the soldiers manning the anti aircraft guns at the end of his road?

From late 1942 the Anti-Aircraft Divisions ceased to wear individual badges, and all wore the more well known "bow and arrow" badge of Ack Ack Command.
Old 22-09-10, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
Interesting, as one of the cloth badges you have is the 5th Anti-Aircraft Division. This is the unit that helped defend Southampton and Portsmouth etc during the Blitz.

It is the plane badge below the RA slip-on title. It was worn with the "Flaming Dornier" pointing downwards, symbolising a German bomber that they have shot down in flames.

If your father did his National Service in the 1950s he would have been a schoolboy in 1941 and might have begged the plane and RA badges from the soldiers manning the anti aircraft guns at the end of his road?

From late 1942 the Anti-Aircraft Divisions ceased to wear individual badges, and all wore the more well known "bow and arrow" badge of Ack Ack Command.
That's very interesting. Yes my dad was a schoolboy in 1941. He would've been 10, and may well have collected these at that time. He lived in Eastleigh, just near the Railway Works. I can't remember exactly, but I think he had a box of old shell cases that he collected as a child, that are tucked away in my mums garage.
Old 23-09-10, 03:09 PM

Smile Drake cap Tally

Regarding Royal Naval Division cap tallies of WW1, they are fairly scarce as they were worn before the RND adopted the six cap badges after the Gallipoli campaign.

Originally there were eight Btns all wearing different cap tallies along with the corresponding brass shoulder titles. Benbow and Collingwood Btns were disbanded after Gallipoli and never wore cap badges, the personnel were seconded to the other RND Btns. as replacements.

I think your tally may have been cut down, which if so would lower the value, but not the interest.
Old 23-09-10, 03:48 PM

Default RND

Small addition here. The RND were also authorised to wear the rounded "RND shoulder title" as a cap badge. I have a copy of the sealed pattern card somewhere, but can't find it! I may have posted here previously though

Until your post, I had not considered the dates, but will check
Cheers, Neil
Old 24-09-10, 03:40 PM

Smile RND title

Neil, from what you say about the rounded "RND shoulder title" as a cap badge, I have three RND titles and one figure "8" in brass. I assumed, probably wrongly that the wearer had lost an "8" and had a spare title. Could it possible be that the RND was worn with a figure above as a cap badge?

I have been told that RND/8 was the Anson Btn which could mean that this combination was worn before the cap badges were issued. I would be interested what your sealed pattern card says.

Rob
Old 24-09-10, 10:34 PM

Default RND Title

Hi Rob

I could have sworn I posted the picture of the sealed pattern card on here. I can't find it though.... The copy of the card is in my archive, and I won't be back home until next month. I will dig it out for you.

It was Rod Flood who copied it for me - he has the original. I consider him to be a trusted source...

Your idea is certainly possible (never say never!). The card shows just the curved title on it's own, and it is very slightly bigger than other versions I have seen. I will try and post comparison when I can. In the meantime, this is the one I have on file here marked as "Forage Cap". No dimensions I'm afraid

Cheers, Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RND Front ST Forage Cap.jpg (46.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RND Rear ST Forage Cap.jpg (45.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 25-09-10, 07:49 AM

Default RND

Many thanks Neil for your reply, certainly your source is very trusted as I do meet him at fairs.

Yes, I think the title with numeral could well have been worn as an interim measure before the issue of cap badges. I have two souvenir booklets of the RND which show I think, an officer wearing a RMLI glengarry badge on his hat, this is not a clear image as it is a black and white photo.

Regards Rob