British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-08-11, 06:35 PM

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the kind words on my albums and site, it's all an ongoing project but that's what keep us all busy. Swords is out of my area of expertise but I have a couple of friends who are knowledgable. Look forward to seeing your pictures.

All the best, Roy.

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 21-08-11, 09:12 PM

hi polair1
it is good to hear about history, history is what makes us what we are
me
g/father was normandy landings with transport company
god father RN on victorious during world tour in 50's fleet air arm CPO
father RAF in coastal command/ on white lancaster gr3's
me RCT NI - CYPRUS 1974 AND CYPRUS 76 UN
so like you forces family
Old 22-08-11, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydog View Post
hi polair1
it is good to hear about history, history is what makes us what we are
me
g/father was normandy landings with transport company
god father RN on victorious during world tour in 50's fleet air arm CPO
father RAF in coastal command/ on white lancaster gr3's
me RCT NI - CYPRUS 1974 AND CYPRUS 76 UN
so like you forces family
Hi Bobbydog,
That is great history there. I'm also quite jealous that you were able to add your own name to the list.
Something I am starting to regret with the more digging I am doing is the fact that I never "played my part".
Cheers,
Matt
Old 24-08-11, 02:46 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by POL_AIR_1 View Post
Thanks guys. I dont really feel like a newbie anymore on here, just a newbie still with my experience.

Roy, I just checked out your albums and also your website. Very cool!!

Unlike yourself, I am actually very lucky that I have quite a lot that has been readily available at my finger tips, unfortunately I have left it this long before the interest sparked. There is no way that I would be able to fill in all these gaps if it wasnt for computers and the internet. You've done bloody well with your collection!!

So do you know about swords also? Unfortunately that is something that I believe has gone to another family member, so all I am left with is two photos.

I will be posting some more photos in the next couple of days in the Australian section of my gfathers uniform (and a couple of other things) as they are today.

Cheers,
Matt
G'day Matt

I know a bit about swords and have 2 Vic Pre Fed issues, one a VMR and the other a Vic Vols with a light infantry bugle in the hilt, this one was retailed by Moubray Rowan and Hicks of Melb. The VMR is a Wlkinson. I also have a book on British swoerds. Let me know if l can help.

Regards

Phil.
Old 24-08-11, 11:12 PM

Cheers Phil,
The only problem is that I only have two photos here which I think are from the 80s, and the photos dont exactly show them too well.

The one in the middle would be my gfather's from WW2 (AIF). Not sure if the two others are my ggfathers from WW1, or if one is WW1 and one is Boer War? No idea sorry.

I'll post them up here anyway in case they look familiar to someone.
Regards,
Matt

Old 24-08-11, 11:28 PM

Hello Mate,

from second picture, middle sword, very very nice, just like the one I would have on the wall with my bayonet. Have the other two got shark skin grips?

ATB

Phil
Old 24-08-11, 11:49 PM

G'day there Phil,
Fancy seeing you here!!
To be honest, I dont know anymore about these swords other than the two pictures sorry.

My uncle was given the swords and his sidearm, and mum received his uniform and medals when my nan passed away.

My uncle passed away back in the early 90's, My aunty handed the firearm into police several years later, and the swords remain in storage.
I had heard about them over the years, and only found these two pictures the other day when I was looking through photos. I have never seen them.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 24-08-11, 11:57 PM

i remember you saying about the webley, real shame. the two outside swords look like some ive seen before at a fair and i believe are naval (cutlasses?), hence asking about the sharkskin. shame you cant get hold of them.

hows the air crash research going? pm if you dont want to divert the thread, if you want to, not an order mate.

cheers

phil
Old 25-08-11, 12:38 AM

Yeah I wasnt too sure if they were RN though.

The middle one is definitely my gfathers sword. His father would have had one if not both of the others. I just can't tell from the photos if they are Queen Victoria or King George initials on them.

Like I said before, I am assuming my ggfather would have had a sword for WW1, but not sure if he had one for the Boer War.

I am most likely wrong, but I believe the one with the slight bow in the blade was used on horseback?

(My great-great-grandfather was an officer in the RN and served in the RN from the rank of Naval Cadet in 1856, until Captain in 1882. His epaulettes are pictured in the photo, so it could possibly be one of his swords pictured also?).

No joy with further research on the plane crash. I have posted a couple of messages on other sites asking for information, photos of the crash, or photos of the plane in it's pre-crash days, but nothing. A couple of google searches have only turned up that it was a B-24D-85-CO Liberator 42-40682 "Pride of the Cornhuskers". It was taking off from 7 Mile Drome near Port Moresby when it clipped trees and crashed into the truck line of my gfathers company. The crash killed 59 men and injured a further 92.
Cheers,
Matt

Old 25-08-11, 07:32 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile Swords

G'day Matt

Thanks for the photos of the swords, pity the quality of the photos is not better.

The out side 2 have brass hilts and lions head pommels and are therefore naval swords, my book only covers Army swords so l cant tell you any more about these 2, however there is a book about on naval swords.

The centre one is an 1897 pattern Infantry Officers sword. It has a pierced hilt and a straight blade 32.5 inches long x 1 inch wide, the inside edge of the hilt is turned down as seen in the second photo, this is to stop the side of the hilt damaging the uniform where it rubs.

This pattern sword is still used but would now have a ER 11 cypher, yours would have a GR 1V cypher.

I hope that this helps.

If you want to PM me your email address l can send you a couple of photos out of the book.

Regards

Phil.
Old 25-08-11, 08:18 AM

Hi Phil,
Thank you for the information. I had never thought to look at naval swords.
Now that you have said that, there are plenty of photos on the net that seem to match.
Stupidly, I tried to zoom in on the photos on the weekend and thought the design looked very similar to the button on the epaulettes, but just thought to myself "nah, it wouldnt be sword(s) from my gg-gfather".

Cheers,
Matt
Old 25-08-11, 02:01 PM

LOL. told you so

All us Phils seem to like swords???

Phil
Old 25-08-11, 02:19 PM

Cheers Phil2m,
Of course it doesnt help when I have only just received your PM about the swords, and this conversation was happening earlier in the day!!
Old 25-08-11, 02:39 PM

Thats weird, I sent the PM quite a long time ago

Oh well, you have the info now, thats what matters. Updated the VSEL badge picture, I love it.

Phil
Old 13-09-11, 06:58 PM

Default Australia

Hi Matt , your family history is great you must be proud of your father and grandfather. regards Dave