British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-22, 03:52 PM

Default Mounted badges

Hello

I’m looking for some advice regarding wall mounting a collection of patches and badges with lugs and sliders.
If I wanted to display some items, can I ask for opinions on the best type of case/frame to use that wouldn’t involve glueing patches.
I’m also wondering what the base would need to be made of to accommodate lugs and sliders but would also keep patches in place without damaging them.
I’m possibly looking for something that doesn’t exist but your ideas would be welcomed
Regards
ccfc
Old 23-03-22, 06:15 PM

ccfc,

If you take a look at the thread https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hlight=display

and greygreenacorns album https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3867

Chris
Old 23-03-22, 06:22 PM

Excellent question, as I want to do the same thing and to also put them under glass.

I am currently thinking of a piece of felt attached to a sturdy piece of cardboard, then cut the necessary holes for the slider or lugs. I am thinking the slider can slip between the felt and the cardboard, and the lugs can go through both. Then use a frame deep enough to allow a spacer between the glass and the badges.

But right now, this is only in the pondering stage.

I want to frame my Scottish tartan backed badges, and am still trying to decide the best background color.

I have not yet figured out a way to display cloth badges in a frame as I do not want to use glue or tape. Those with Velcro on the back are easy because they stick well to felt.

Terry

Terry
Old 23-03-22, 07:42 PM

You need a product called (Fomecore) should be able to get it from any art or framing store.

Phil.
Old 23-03-22, 08:01 PM

I have used a variety of methods to display my collection from A5 up to A1 and sizes in between. Riker cases are most useful if you need to rearrange items.

https://just-in-case.biz/

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3867

Tim
Old 23-03-22, 10:24 PM

How i like to do mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CANTON DEC 17 011.jpg (47.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg mercian badges.jpg (29.6 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Restrikes-ok; 23-03-22 at 10:32 PM.
Old 23-03-22, 11:24 PM

Default Displaying Badges

ccfc,

If you intend to mix metal badges with cloth, you may not be able to hold the cloth successfully by pressure of the backing board against the glass. A display of cloth badges may be mounted this way, but metal badges will hold the glass away from the cloth badges and require you to use a shadow box or spacers between the glass and the backing board in a frame.

However, if you are anyways handy with a needle and thread, you can do what I do, as seen in the pics below. Using a piece of corrugated cardboard, I attach the type of backing material that I want for the display to the board. I then use thread that matches the colour of the badge and make very small tack stitches around the edge of the badge. Not so many as if you were sewing onto a uniform but enough to hold the badge against the backing.

The cardboard is usually porous enough to allow easy passage of the needle, yet will be strong enough to hold slidered or lugged badges. I have used this method on several displays that mix cloth and metal badges and it has worked very well in my estimation. This method negates the use of glues and allows easy removal if required. Couple of snips of the scissors and off it comes, none the worse for wear. And not as damaging as glue in my opinion.

Hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Regards,

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0522.jpg (76.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0523.jpg (28.7 KB, 24 views)
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 24-03-22, 02:19 AM

Restrike those are beautifully done. Is your backing art board/picture matting material? How do you attach cloth badges?

Ian, I have thought of mounting patches with a few stitches to hold them in place, and will do so probably. I figure getting them to line up as you want is a real challenge though, so patience is really a virtue when doing it.

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 01-04-22 at 04:14 PM.
Old 24-03-22, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Placement

Good day Terry,

Yes, lining the badges up can be a chore. What I do is tape a piece of thread (of a contrasting colour to the backing material, so it stands out) either horizontally or vertically depending on how I want to align the badges. Using the thread, I then place the badge over the thread so that it is centred, and tack it on. Once all the badges have been attached, it is a simple matter of picking off the tape and pulling the thread out from one end, the badges not exerting too much pressure to hold it. Saves marking on the backing material and you can line up your badges even by eye balling them.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 24-03-22, 06:59 PM

Thanks Ian, sounds like a good method. I'll give it a try!

Terry
Old 24-03-22, 07:44 PM

I make my own frames 50mm polystyrene with felt PVA glued to the surface you can get away with thinner polystyrene but mine have to take blades and some large broach pins cloth badges can be carefully pinned using stainless sewing pins. I have thirty frames most are stored in drawers but four have glazed fronts and are hung I give 40mm between felt and glass you can get away with less but mine take plume's and helmet plates.
The picture shows one of the disadvantages if you keep adding badges a neat and tidy display can become a bit rammed.
IMG_20220323_193105.jpg
Old 24-03-22, 08:17 PM

Neil, Looks good ot me and I love all the tartan backed badges!!! All that tartan really adds some color to the display. I'll probably use red backing as well.

Terry
Old 25-03-22, 12:08 AM

Neil, there's the excuse to separate out the different regiments into their own frames. Unless S.W.M.B.O. does not want any more of your "stuff" cluttering up the walls!!

Ian
Old 25-03-22, 02:54 AM

Ole Rumpole strikes again!!!

Terry
Old 26-03-22, 03:13 AM

At the risk of repeating the above the following has worked well for me (when you bave a pretty firm 'scope' of what you want to display..)

Cardboard of required size marked out for the items and then slots / holes cut. The whole then covered with felt and with a sharp knife easy to cut the felt to match the precut slots. Metal badges can then be fine-tuned into position and then 'packed out' with card or sponge at the back to keep them in place. I also use light tack stitches to tops & bottoms or corners of cloth items with the thread tied off or cellotaped down on the rear. For larger pieces e.g. brassards I can then hide the bulk of them to the rear with just the badges showing, so they don't have to be cut down.

The final step will be a suitable frame and perhaps glass to the front. I say "will" as I have yet to do that bit, I'm hanging on in the hope of filling the last few gaps on the boards..