British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-22, 09:57 AM

Default 4th Gurkhas

I recently acquired a job lot of Officers Association Journals to the 4GR. from the 1960's > 1980's. I always try to acquire these journals as they offer interesting and sometimes unique perspectives of regimental history with the officers anecdotes and personal stories of their military service - the print run of these journals was probably less than 100 - and very, very occasionally you get a nugget on their insignia. I found this photo in the 1981 journal of a display of 4GR insignia that had been on display in the Gurkha Museum when it was at Church Cookham but did not make it to public display when they moved to their current site in Winchester. I was drawn to one badge which I'd never seen before not even in the Museum's book on the 4GR ( which is strange given that they apparently have an example ) - anyway the photo is not great quality (cheap printing! ) - so I've "recreated" the badge myself - for you interest. NB the badge is in the right hand corner of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ADC84D01-60AC-4AA3-B524-68AEF6E390AC.jpg (54.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 51F824AD-47A3-4D24-A0F0-99B7CE5F3E7A.jpg (51.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 27-06-22, 10:23 AM

Interesting badge and strange as you say that it isn't in the museum's publication, especially as they apparently had an example.
Old 27-06-22, 12:52 PM

Tim,
You can by appointment view the badge collection, which is stored in map drawers at Winchester and well worth viewing.

You may recall the picture of the early pattern cross belt badge to the 4th I sent you a picture of. This was a previously unknown crossbelt badge and still the only example found. It is not illustrated in publications.

That badge had crossed kukri's with only a bugle horn, no IV. dependent on the fittings, this could possibly be an example from the same period, but worn on the pouch.

Why it was not included the book I cant ask JC anymore but if I see him and remember I mention it to Dennis Wood

Steve
Old 27-06-22, 01:58 PM

Hi Steve - I spoke to Ashok about it and he remembered having a conversation with JC when the book on the 4GR was being put together - and the thought was that maybe it was a mistake when the frame was put together - as there's no other evidence of this badge being worn ( or even existing ) - so it was left out of the book. But as you and I know there are many examples of insignia that have not been included or "no examples has ever been seen" - but they exist. - Tim