British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-22, 09:16 PM

Default A Few More I'm Unsure Of

Hi everyone,

I've bought a few more cap badges online and again I'm a bit unsure if they're real or reproductions. Would anyone be able to give me their option on them at all?

Northumberland Fusiliers - Of all of these badges this is the one I'm most concerned with. To start with, it's got quite a yellow tint to it which I don't think is right and on the back it has a strange shiny finish which doesn't match with the front. The lettering is quite soft around the edges, and there's a flaw along the 'Fusiliers' on the bottom of the badge. I checked in my reference book too and it says that the Regiment switched to a bi-metal badge in 1935, and I really don't think that this badge is older than that. To cap it all off, I've seen some reproduction badges for sale on line too that look very similar to this. All in all, I'm about 95% certain that this is a reproduction.

Devonshire Regiment - Whilst I think that this badge has quite a nice detail to it, the lettering around the internal ring is connected with the edges with a number of little blob-like flaws. The back of this badge is oddly shiny too.

Lancashire Fusiliers - What's got me concerned about this badge is the bald spot on the left hand side of the banner, and that there's no textured detail on the middle banner behind the word 'The'. I noticed that the 'E' in Fusiliers is slightly smaller than the other letters too.

Devonshire and Dorset Regiment - This one I'm least concerned with, as like the Lancashire Fusiliers badge they're more modern and I'm not sure if they do make reproductions of badges of this era. What has me concerned is the crude edging on the bottom of the top banners and the soldered mess above the sphinx's back.

I appreciate everyone's time with these, I'm still relatively new to collecting and so far I've had some really helpful replies from people on this forum. Thanks all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northumberland_Fusiliers1.jpg (77.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Northumberland_Fusiliers2.jpg (63.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Devonshire_Regiment.jpg (76.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Lancashire_Fusiliers.jpg (46.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Devonshire_and_Dorset_Regiment.jpg (83.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 31-01-22, 09:27 PM

The Northumberland Fus. is definitely bad. Not so sure on the others. The Devon and Lancs. Fus. may just be one of the rather poorly made wartime badges. I don't collect post 1945, so can't answer for the Devon and Dorset.

CB
Old 31-01-22, 09:39 PM

Unfortunately I think they are all bad , for a lot of the reasons you say, also poor detail, modern sliders etc , hopefully others will confirm.

Gerard
Old 31-01-22, 09:56 PM

Devon and Dorset very poor N B they reproduce most badges old and new
Would not have any in my collection
Devon and Dorset in my album
Old 01-02-22, 06:50 AM

I think the Devonshire is a very recent fake, the flat diamond shaped "rose" device at the bottom of the circlet is appearing on lots of odd badges lately.

Rob
Old 01-02-22, 08:35 PM

Ouch! Thank you for your replies everyone, I'll chalk this one up to experience and try to be a bit more careful in future.