British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-01-22, 09:05 PM

Default A Few I'm Unsure Of

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to collecting badges and was blissfully unaware of fakes until recently. I've gone back through the badges I've bought so far and I've attached a couple I'm unsure of, would anyone be able to give their thoughts on the ones I've attached?

26th Hussars - Whilst the details on this one look quite good, there's a bit of a bump on the left wing and the lugs on the back are quite narrow which make me a bit nervous.

DLI & E Yorks - I bought these from the same seller at a car boot sale with a few other things. Both have a 'B P & Co Ld B'Ham' makers mark on the slider (I think he had another DLI for sale without though). Both of these have little marks of a pinky-white chalky stuff in the crevices of the badges, I'm not sure if this is old polish or maybe something else? (Hopefully not from when they were faked!)

Tank Corps - This one looks alright, but it looks cast rather than stamped, the design of the tank (placement of the rivets and such) is different from other examples I've seen and I haven't seen many other examples with lugs. Is this a bazaar copy maybe or something else entirely?

Scottish Horse Yeomanry - I only bought this yesterday, it looks really nice to me but I've noticed a slight makers flaw on the first 'T' in 'Scott' and a bit of a step on the left side of the St Andrews cross. This is the only one I have with a Gaunt makers plate on the reverse too. It matches with other examples I've seen online, but are those fakes too?

Many thanks for your time!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26_Hussars.jpg (71.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Durham_Light_Infantry.jpg (69.9 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg East_Yorkshire.jpg (72.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Royal_Tank_Corps.jpg (72.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Scottish_Horse.jpg (91.2 KB, 71 views)
Old 16-01-22, 09:16 PM

The 26H is fake.

Both Bodill Parker & Co marks appear correct, nice badges.

The die cast RTC is similar to a ‘retreating’ version I once owned, very good quality. I presumed it to be NCO or privately purchased variant.

Scottish Horse has been restruck from the original die but yours is fine.
Old 16-01-22, 09:30 PM

Hi Luke thank you very much for your reply - I feel a lot better knowing that I haven't been duped, for the most part anyway!

I did have my doubts about the 26H badge - can I ask how you knew it was a fake for future reference?
Old 16-01-22, 10:20 PM

Default 26th Hussars

Here’s an old photo, courtesy of Alan O, pointing out some of the more notable points / flaws. You can add rounded ToysRus letter ends to its rap sheet too. However, the sceptre’s excess fillet of metal is probably most obvious to the eye.

A genuine badge shown on green background.

There are several useful threads on the forum about these badges.
Old 17-01-22, 03:30 AM

These kinds of threads are always so beneficial and helpful. I always appreciate hem.

Terry
Old 17-01-22, 12:25 PM

Thank you again Luke, that's really helpful - I noticed that my fake is exactly the same as the example on your post, no doubt someone is cranking them out somewhere. I'll be more careful in future, thanks again!