British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-21, 03:13 AM

Default CAF 2nd Pattern Type 2 NCO Cap badges?

I picked up a few CAF 1920-1924 cap badges and believe them to be the Type 2 2nd Pattern NCO side cap badges (57mm) but have seen them called NCO badges by some and 2nd Pattern Officers by others (just missing the backing)

Just looking for some clarification.... hopefully

The left badge was fairly yellowed, looking anodized. The finish looked off so i cleaned it up a bit with some vinegar & water. Now it is gleaming. The other one will keep its slight tarnishing.

Also got a few buttons, 1 x 17 mm and 2 x 12 mm. There is some glue or varnish residue on the backs. Is it safe to hit them with a bit of vinegar as well?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAF T2 2P 1.jpg (71.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg CAF T2 2P 2.jpg (65.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg CAF 27mm 1.jpg (41.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg CAF 27mm 2.jpg (53.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CAF 12mm 1.jpg (28.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CAF 12mm 2.jpg (43.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg CAF 12mm 3.jpg (42.3 KB, 8 views)

Collector of a wide variety of Canadian Militaria
...........that my wife will sell at discount prices
or throw away after I am gone.............CHIMO
Old 10-11-21, 05:21 PM

A nice selection of original CAF pieces Del. The cap badge is for the enlisted rank, 2nd issue (with motto) as you have indicated. Personally, I’ve probably also described them as “NCO” badges in an attempt to distinguish them from “Officers” badges. The easiest way to distinguish the two categories of cap badges is via the Crown. All Officers badges had the red silk woven material – the lower ranks didn’t. There are several other indicators of course. It’s more common to find them today without the black felt backing which in general hasn’t stood well the ravages of time, moths and cleaning materials. In fact, I'm not 100% sure the enlisted cap badges originally ever even had the black felt backing, now I think about it...

The (now) yellowish varnish or lacquer you have on some of your items I think was added during manufacture to slow down oxidation. It was less necessary on the enlisted, “German Metal” alloys and the buttons as they didn’t tend to change colour much but the Officers badges which contained silver did tarnish and that original coating would keep them shiny for many decades. It’s a personal decision whether to remove it or not; it’s certainly ads to the originality of the piece if it’s left on and as you discovered, it’s easily removed to reveal a clean and bright badge underneath. It’s less clear if it should be left alone if it has flaked off in areas and you develop a two-toned, oxidized/unoxidized badge.

The smallest, 12mm buttons are a nice find and were only found in pairs, on the side-cap. I’d leave the varnish on myself. The chemist in me says it would be interesting to look at the exact composition – just out of curiosity. These small buttons were issued without a Makers-Mark on the back presumably due to the size. The quality of the strike suggests they are originals and not from the ’67 reproduction set.

Good luck!