British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-11, 07:24 PM

Default Why both White Metal and A/A?

Please forgive my ignorance over what is probably a simple matter but having been a member of this excellent site for a few months has encouraged me to start collecting badges to my old Regiment - The Green Howards.

Recently I purchased 2 Cap badges bearing the cypher and the XIX numeral that were introduced in the early 1970's (as per my avatar) when the Yorkshire Brigade badge was (thankfully) discontinued. Both have sliders and one is WM whilst the other is A/A. I seem to recall that when we (the 1st Bn) were issued with the 'new' badges we only received the 'staybrite' A/A version which we wore on all occasions in caps, side hats and berets. As I assume the WM versions with sliders are not officers' badges can anyone advise me please as to why a WM version of this badge was introduced?

Many thanks
Peter4447
Old 10-01-11, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Probably for commercial sale in PRI shops, regtl museums etc.
Old 10-01-11, 08:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Probably for commercial sale in PRI shops, regtl museums etc.
Hi Peter,

My initial thoughts reflected those of Alan, however.

If I am correct your badge is KK1985 according to K&K "In white metal" "Also anodised, same size".

Regards
Ry
Old 10-01-11, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe but I don't think you will find a metal sealed pattern badge and the one in K&K is therefore a commercial one.
Old 10-01-11, 08:42 PM
Banned

Granted Alan, A PRI item is most likely then.
Old 10-01-11, 08:59 PM

Hi Guys,

The answer is a bit more complex than first appears. Some of the early badges from the early 1950's were accepted into service and sealed in both WM/GM and A/A at the same time with the same sealing dates.

An example of this is the Cheshire Yeomanry.

The designation notes are:

INEW PATTERN. Pattern No. 14788 has been sealed to govern future manufacture. The new pattern differs from the old (No 522) in that the plume of the three ostrich feathers and the broken scroll bearing the motto "ICH DIEN" is in white metal.

The CB numbers of the badges are A.A. CB 3279, G.M. CB 2848.

Pattern number of 14788 and sealing date of 30th November 1951 which I assume would be applied to both.

Source is List of Changes dated 31st March 1952, Change C 4910.

Now, while the designation note states 'white metal' the change also and specifically states an A/A badge with a CB number of 3000 or greater to go with the non A/A badge.

There are quite a few others also.

Regards

Chris
Old 10-01-11, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Chris,

In this case the XIX Green Howards design came after 1968. Indeed they initially readopted the old 1950s pre-brigade design until the new a/a badges were made.

Alan
Old 10-01-11, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Chris,

In this case the XIX Green Howards design came after 1968. Indeed they initially readopted the old 1950s pre-brigade design until the new a/a badges were made.

Alan
Absolutely Alan.

Its just that for some reason some early A/A appear to have been authorised with a non A/A badge at the same time. I don't know why as regulations did state that A/A was to be the material of choice.

Regards

Chris
Old 10-01-11, 09:38 PM

Many thanks for your replies Gentlemen.
I have now sent off an e-mail to the Museum out of curiosity to see what their view is and I will post the reply.

I do find the reference to these badges being sold in a PRI very interesting indeed because if this is the case, then it seems logical to assume that as a member of the Battalion I could have purchased one of these and worn it in place of my officially issued staybrite version should I have wished to have done so.

Regimental PRI shops throw up some odd issues because the Regimental Band (of which I was a member) tended to wear stable belts and side hats which we purchased ourselves from the PRI as normal working dress whilst the rifle companies wore black belts with staybrite badged brass buckles and berets.

Peter4447
Old 11-01-11, 11:38 AM

Further to my e-mail to the Green Howards Museum. I have now received a reply from the Regimental Secretary as follows:

The white metal version is not an official Ordnance procured cap badge for general issue to OR's.

Peter4447