British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-12, 04:29 PM

Default Officers Service Dress badges (bronze)

Can anyone point me towards a reference or a date confirming when bronze Officer's Service Dress badges were first introduced?

Whilst I'm on the subject, does anyone know why they were introduced (I'm guessing it has something to do with khaki uniforms but I don't really know)?

Many thanks, Ivan
Old 02-09-12, 04:31 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Hi Ivan,

I believe it was 1902 ???

Dave.
Old 02-09-12, 04:43 PM

Cheers Dave.

Any idea on the why?

Thanks, Ivan
Old 02-09-12, 04:57 PM

Because that is when service dress was introduced,but if you mean why were officers badges on service dress to be in bronze/ bronze finish, then I have to say I for one am not quite sure, although the reason for adopting khaki service dress was that it did not stand out the way in the way that red tunics had and I suppose it would have defeated the object of adopting khaki if officers had worn silver and gilt badges on it.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-09-12, 05:02 PM

Thanks Peter.

I guessed the introduction had something to do with the introduction of khaki and it does makes sense to have a dulled badge rather than a silver/gilt badge.

If thats the case, its makes you wonder why OR's continued to wear shiney brass or even white metal badges with their khaki uniforms.

Ivan
Old 02-09-12, 05:08 PM

Originally they did not. When SD was introduced for ORs collar badges were abandonded and they were supposed to wear woven trade and proficiency badges and cloth arm titles but the latter proved too expensive to make so brass titles came back and brass gradually crept back for trade and proficiency badges as it looked nicer. Collar badges on SD only officially appeared after the First World War.

Postwarden

Postwarden
Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Thanks Peter.

I guessed the introduction had something to do with the introduction of khaki and it does makes sense to have a dulled badge rather than a silver/gilt badge.

If thats the case, its makes you wonder why OR's continued to wear shiney brass or even white metal badges with their khaki uniforms.

Ivan
Old 02-09-12, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Thanks Peter.

Ivan
Hi Ivan

In today's language they would be termed "subdued"

Gordon
Old 02-09-12, 05:49 PM

Taken form Mike Chappell's booklet "Service Dress 1902-1940" and the Officers Uniform - "Insignia ordered to be worn by officers inlcuded both collar and cap badges(these were to be 'bronzed') and buttons of regimental or corps patterns."

The regulations which covered Service Dress were published in Army Orders 10/1902 - 40/1902 & 251/1902.
Old 02-09-12, 05:55 PM

Excellent answers chaps (as always).

Graham, thanks very much for the reference, just what I was looking for.

Many thanks to all who answered.

Ivan
Old 02-09-12, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
Originally they did not. When SD was introduced for ORs collar badges were abandonded and they were supposed to wear woven trade and proficiency badges and cloth arm titles but the latter proved too expensive to make so brass titles came back and brass gradually crept back for trade and proficiency badges as it looked nicer. Collar badges on SD only officially appeared after the First World War.

Postwarden
Jacket 1902 Pattern Service Dress O/R's as first intended for wear

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30094285

and

Jacket 1907 Pattern Service Dress O/R's as later issued.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30094231

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 02-09-12, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postwarden View Post
When SD was introduced for ORs collar badges were abandonded and they were supposed to wear woven trade and proficiency badges and cloth arm titles but the latter proved too expensive to make so brass titles came back and brass gradually crept back for trade and proficiency badges as it looked nicer.

Postwarden

Postwarden
2nd,NF - DOS - pge107.jpg
Within a year of it's introduction, the removeable shoulder straps of the 1902 pattern SD were taken out of service and new twisted cord straps taken into wear - therefore there was no need for metal titles until the fixed straps were introduced. Titles were already being worn with KD and the service dress patterns introduced for the South African War.
Old 02-09-12, 08:46 PM

Default OSD badges

Regarding white metal titles: those worn by TF soldiers were introduced by the 1912 Regs, for 'walking out dress' if I remeber correctly. As such they were intended to be seen and not worn in the field.

Stephen.
Old 02-09-12, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Regarding white metal titles: those worn by TF soldiers were introduced by the 1912 Regs, for 'walking out dress' if I remeber correctly. As such they were intended to be seen and not worn in the field.

Stephen.
Four years out - 1908;
T.F. Regulations 1908 Para 552;- "The designations of the unit in black or whitemetal will be worn on the shoulder straps of tunics and serge frocks, and in black or gilding metal on service dress jackets and greatcoats. In the shoulder strap title the letter "T" will be placed above the name of the unit(see Appendix 16). Brass or gilding metal titles will be worn on tunics and serge frocks by units having permission to wear gold lace."

In this game you have to know the difference between a tunic, serge frock and SD jacket. New dress uniforms were introduced during this time, with plain shoulder straps for the purpose of adding metal titles - prior to that most titles had been embroided onto the strap.