British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-11, 11:45 AM

its WOLSELEY, by the way.
Old 05-11-11, 01:52 PM

Location: I live in New Brighton on the Wirral, in the north West of England.

The Welsh Guards Pagri badge was last worn by the 1st battalion in Gibralter on the outbreak of WWII. It was my impression that it was in white metal.

I have a photo of the 1st battalion in Egypt in the twenties wearing the standard bearskin type plumes on their solar topees.

The badge at the start of this thread may be a pouch badge. These were worn by stick orderlies on formal parades at least up to the end of the seventies.

Hope this helps
Old 05-11-11, 02:01 PM
Former Member

Just to confirm, the Stadden Prints series shows ORs c.1920 wearing the standard size horse hair plume as worn in the bearskin in the left side of the sun helmet and Officers with a short feather plume. I doubt that any WG pagri or Valise badge would have been in whitemetal? Although they do appear as copies.

Andy
Old 07-11-11, 12:07 PM

Smile Thankyou to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Thankyou to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

As a boy my family were great friends with a retired Scots Guardsman. I remember him showing me pictures of himself with other Guardsmen sitting on top of the Sphinx in Egypt during the 1920's, they were all wearing solar helmets with Pagri badges. The pictures were in the Scots Guards Association magazine/booklet; dated early 1970's. I think the article was about the 2nd SG's tour of the Middle East. If anyone has a copy I would be very interested to see it. I wonder if anyone else has Reg Ass booklets showing solar helmets being worn?

Happy hunting Dave Moore
Old 28-02-21, 04:08 PM

I take it from the thread above that there was more than one pattern for the WG pagri. With the Cymru am Byth differently placed.

This one has lug (remainders) not a slider and does not hve the material 'holders'.

I take it that it is a copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg WG PagF.jpeg (93.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpeg WG PagrR.jpeg (77.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 28-02-21, 05:20 PM

That is of recent manufacture and completely spurious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
I take it from the thread above that there was more than one pattern for the WG pagri. With the Cymru am Byth differently placed.

This one has lug (remainders) not a slider and does not hve the material 'holders'.

I take it that it is a copy.
Old 28-02-21, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john badge View Post
The Welsh Guards Pagri badge was last worn by the 1st battalion in Gibralter on the outbreak of WWII. It was my impression that it was in white metal.

I have a photo of the 1st battalion in Egypt in the twenties wearing the standard bearskin type plumes on their solar topees.

The badge at the start of this thread may be a pouch badge. These were worn by stick orderlies on formal parades at least up to the end of the seventies.

Hope this helps
Uncle George's bed space, South Barracks, Gibralter, 1939/40 (in the same barrack room I occupied in 1973).
Welsh Guards pagri badge and white/green/white plume visible (image small, but perfectly formed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-6026-125543897957~3.jpg (2.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 28-02-21, 05:47 PM

It would certainly be interesting to see the complete photograph, the inage does not enlarge when clinked upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Uncle George's bed space, South Barracks, Gibralter, 1939/40 (in the same barrack room I occupied in 1973).
Welsh Guards pagri badge and white/green/white plume visible (image small, but perfectly formed).
Old 28-02-21, 05:54 PM

No, unfortunately, I thought that cropping the image would increase the size.
The image has been posted in one or two other threads / albums.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-6026-125543897957.jpg (22.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 28-02-21, 06:02 PM

I find it interesting to note that upon actually leaving Wellington Barracks to embark for Foreign Service in 1939, they were not wearing plumes, I wonder at what part of their very short service in Tropical kit they were adopted?

Quote:
No, unfortunately, I thought that cropping the image would increase the size.
The image has been posted in one or two other threads / albums.
Old 28-02-21, 06:11 PM

I don't think that I have ever encountered a single example of the regiments FS Helmet badge in white metal, I would certainly be interested to see an original one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john badge View Post

Hope this helps
Old 28-02-21, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
That is of recent manufacture and completely spurious.
Thanks Frank
Old 28-02-21, 07:07 PM

Forgive me, but, I need to ask, what happened to Uncle George, did he get through the campaign in 1940 with the BEF?

Quote:
Old 28-02-21, 07:14 PM

He went on the 2nd Battalion's day trip to Boulogne, I'm told he was on the trip to Holland but hav'nt confirmed. He went to NW Europe with the 1st Bn.
Old 28-02-21, 09:14 PM

Might this be the Welsh Guards officers feather hackle worn as shown in photos in this thread?
Regards
Sean