British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-04-08, 03:41 PM

Default Royal Flying Corps Officers Badge

ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS GENUINE ?
LOOKS A BIT TO CLEAN FOR ME .

Old 11-04-08, 04:35 PM

No comment on this individual badge, but all I would say is that a lot of dealers have a " man" who repairs badges and re-applies black or bronze finishes for them, some better than others.

I am convinced that a lot of original damaged badges have been so poorly re-finished/ repaired that, whilst they might in fact be genuine,the way they now appear would put a lot or collectors off them.

P.B.

P.S. on reflection,the blades on this example do seem to a little higher up the badge than I would have expected

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 11-04-08 at 04:39 PM. Reason: futher thought
Old 11-04-08, 05:48 PM

I will add my comment after Sunday.
Old 13-04-08, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
I will add my comment after Sunday.
Although I did not get mine today I did see another one. Made by ‘Firmin’ from the original dies for a film company not too long ago. I still need to get the date.
Old 21-04-08, 11:33 PM

In my humble opinion this is not a genuine badge. I recently purchased an identical badge on UK ebay. As far as I can tell it's a new badge.
Old 22-04-08, 03:02 PM

I think it's to shiny myself and it will be flying into my junk pile .
Spencer
Old 22-04-08, 03:28 PM

TBH honest, what put's me off is that it is a stamped badge, with blades, the bladed ones I've seen have eyelets on the stamped ones and the blades on the 'cast' ones.

Also agreed, looks far to shiny and 'new'.

Tom
Old 24-04-08, 07:13 PM

This badge, although IMO not genuine, is a well made badge. It is thicker and heavier than original stamped RFC badges. BTW: I have seen solid backed cast badges that appear to be from the same maker. The front and the blades look identical to this pictured badge.

All my genuine RFC OSD badges with blades are cast with solid backs, some Gaunt, some Firmin and others unmarked. I have seen stamped OSD badges (brz or bronzed) but they all had lugs.

My assumption is, and I might completely wrong on this, the cast badge was worn on the officers peaked cap while the stamped OSD was worn on the side cap.

Last edited by mgc; 24-04-08 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Imcomplete
Old 11-05-08, 06:19 PM

Although the original images have gone, here is my example of the recently made RFC badge. These were made for a film company and re-enactors.

And then a good one, I also have the collar badge and button if interested.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-05-08, 02:59 AM

The badge in the original post was a stamped badge with blades. Didn't look like your repro at all. Although it was a repro it was made from a much thicker and heavier stamping. Metal is so hard that it can't be bent by hand very much unlike most restrikes. As mentioned in my earlier post I have one exactly like the the badge in the original post. A well made fake but a fake nonetheless. Would probably be quite nice for re-enactors though.

Last edited by mgc; 12-05-08 at 03:04 AM. Reason: incomplete