British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-05-19, 05:01 PM

Default LRDG badge on e bay

Hello all,

May I bring to your attention, if you have not already seen it.. a advert on e bay uk selling a 'original' LRDG badge (item #113762419167) I would like the opinion of the sites experts on historical-analysis of LRDG items please to mention/post [IF] this badge is authentic or not? I haven't, as yet seen anyone talking about it on here...and those who have been kind enough to answer my previous posts know that I have in the past wasted a lot of money trying to obtain a original one for my collection... (haven't we all!)

Thank you so much to you all for your sharing your insight.

Roy.
Old 28-05-19, 05:09 PM

Here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-...oAAOSwXfVc6vp-

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 28-05-19, 05:17 PM

Members do not generally highlight live auctions, especially ones of rare badges and tout them as genuine. Simple reason being if they were intending on bidding ‘flagging up’ on here will increase competition and no doubt price tag of the item. Indeed your post suggests if you hear it’s original you may bid.
Old 28-05-19, 06:23 PM

looks like shill bidding is going on
Old 28-05-19, 06:56 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Members do not generally highlight live auctions, especially ones of rare badges and tout them as genuine. Simple reason being if they were intending on bidding ‘flagging up’ on here will increase competition and no doubt price tag of the item. Indeed your post suggests if you hear it’s original you may bid.

Whether this badge is original or not (it seems to have a loop missing) it does seem strange to me that a new member flags it up for all to see, any vested interest?

Rob
Old 28-05-19, 07:34 PM

Rob I agree. Phrasing of the question is slightly suspicious opening with ‘may I bring to your attention’.
Old 02-06-19, 09:24 PM

Sold for £487. I believed it was an original badge as did several others it appears from the price. Perhaps the advertising in this thread assisted.
Old 02-06-19, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I disagree. If you're unaware of what is out there then that is because of the ignorance of the collector. I also don't believe that there is any proof that highlighting a live auction adds to the bidding. I'm also about to highlight a live auction.
Old 02-06-19, 11:05 PM

Hardly. Not seeing or missing something doesn’t equate to ignorance.

Most members post a picture of the item and ask - if I was post a link and say ‘I’ve seen this scarce badge I really like, is it genuine?’ chances are others, some interested in acquiring such a badge would view and may attempt to buy. I know I have although not with this LRDG badge I might add.
Old 03-06-19, 09:23 AM

It is of course impossible to know if posting a live ebay auction on a forum raises the price.....because once it has been done we will never know what it would have reached without this.
Personally I think letting more people know about it is advertising and surely more people see it than otherwise would.
I know that sometimes I do not have everything I am interested in on my searches.

Jerry
Old 03-06-19, 07:44 PM

Did you buy it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy88 View Post
Hello all,

May I bring to your attention, if you have not already seen it.. a advert on e bay uk selling a 'original' LRDG badge (item #113762419167) I would like the opinion of the sites experts on historical-analysis of LRDG items please to mention/post [IF] this badge is authentic or not? I haven't, as yet seen anyone talking about it on here...and those who have been kind enough to answer my previous posts know that I have in the past wasted a lot of money trying to obtain a original one for my collection... (haven't we all!)

Thank you so much to you all for your sharing your insight.

Roy.
Old 04-06-19, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I would agree with Luke. When I first started collecting seriously I posted a link to a dealers site on here asking if a CMP slip on shoulder title was genuine, it was gone within an hour of me asking the question.

It does make it very difficult because you need the valuable help and advice but then you definately do advertise things that may not have been seen.

Catch 22 really.

Michael
Old 04-06-19, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
It does make it very difficult because you need the valuable help and advice
You could just show the pictures without a link, or send a PM to a known expert that you trust.
Old 07-06-22, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Did you buy it?
Hello Frank, Sorry for a very late reply ...yes I did actually buy the badge & am thrilled with it! I haven't logged in much to this site (especially considering whats been happening over the last two years) since posting my initial question regards authenticity. I was bemused though by some members posting messages on this thread who didn't appreciate my vernacular....oh dear never mind. Thank you to those who towards the end of the post offered your sensible friendly assumptions.

Kind regards.
Old 07-06-22, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy88 View Post
Hello Frank, Sorry for a very late reply ...yes I did actually buy the badge & am thrilled with it! I haven't logged in much to this site (especially considering whats been happening over the last two years) since posting my initial question regards authenticity. I was bemused though by some members posting messages on this thread who didn't appreciate my vernacular....oh dear never mind. Thank you to those who towards the end of the post offered your sensible friendly assumptions.

Kind regards.
Given I’m the only one who confirmed your badge was authentic in this whole thread I’m bemused by your reply.

I cannot recall if it was missing a loop or not but if it was and final price was £487 that’s certainly a lot for a broken badge, but I’m glad you’re happy.

If you had perhaps not posted a live auction on the forum but contacted members by PM or just by posting a picture you may have won it for less.