British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-06-19, 09:36 AM

Default A single WW2 War Medal - Sudan Defence Forces

Hi all,

Here is one of my last week finds - an unnamed single British War medal from 1939-1945 period. I obtained the medal with the box, containing owner's name and medal entitlement slip (confirming one medal entitlement).

Interesting enough this single medal was awarded to a Major and was posted out to Sudan.

A little bit digging on the London Gazette and I knew that the owner was Waldo Hearne Glanville.

Waldo was an Irishman from Dublin area (Blackrock).

He was born as a son of Edward Samuel Glanville, a marble merchant and Selina Agnes Vance in Rathdown – Blackorock area (Rock road, Part of Blackrock No.1)

He was an active member of 3rd Dublin, Stillorgan Scouts (attended with his brother Robert to the 1924 Jamboree).

He had also five brothers and two sisters:

1. Eric Vance GLANVILLE b:1896

2. Arthur Evenson GLANVILLE b:1897

3. Edward George GLANVILLE b: 1898

4. Robert Ranulph GLANVILLE M.B.E. b: 1901

5. Owen Hugh GLANVILLE b: 1903

6. Edwina Vance GLANVILLE b: 1907

8. Ina Helen GLANVILLE b: 1909

He studied in the Veterinary Medicine of Dublin University College.

1928-1929 Veterinary Inspector, Kassala

1930-1931 Veterinary Inspector, Halfa Province

1931-1934 Veterinary Inspector, Upper Nile Province

1935-1940 Veterinary Inspector, Khartoum

1937-1942 Registrar, Veterinary School

1941 Senior Veterinary Inspector, Khartoum

1942-1944 Senior Veterinary Inspector, El Obeid, Kordofan

1944-1946 Senior Veterinary Inspector, Khartoum

1946-1952 Director, Sudan Veterinary Service

For war service he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant but in the Sudanese forces he was a Major, like stated as well on the box.

And what makes this single medal extra nice - 1945 he received as well Order of the Nile 4th Class.

I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 18-06-19, 09:37 AM

So, even a single medal entitlement could turn out something much better when some digging is done!
I am always looking early (pre 1939) British ribbon bars with foreign awards; interesting devices or just different construction solutions. Also I am seeking Royal Dublin Fusiliers items. I can help in small scale to research RDF soldiers (MICs, medal rolls, additional information, etc).
Old 18-06-19, 11:02 AM

and a picture of him:

and picture of the Order of the Nile

Old 19-06-19, 07:34 AM

Excellent research which really tells the story of the man behind the medal. Thank you for sharing.

Simon