British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-03-17, 06:46 PM

Default What Price

Hi Jerry
Thats the price they go for. Some of the GMG badges fetch a lot more,
Regards
Ray
Old 30-03-17, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
To be Frank (not you Mr. Kelley) I fail to see why these badges were at the time of the OP deemed expensive, the bid stood at £103 for 5 original cloth badges, an average of just over £20 each, even now at this time they are just over £30 each. One of the badges you would, over the last few years be lucky to get under £100.
Where Chancing and Grasping come into this I have no idea
Paul
I was referring to the hobby in general which is now crawling with grasping chancers and has been for a long time now. These crooks are exposed on the forum on a regular basis. If you got a good deal then good for you. I used to enjoy collecting but I gave it up years ago when I saw what the hobby had become. I much prefer just being a spectator these days.
Old 30-03-17, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
I was referring to the hobby in general which is now crawling with grasping chancers and has been for a long time now. These crooks are exposed on the forum on a regular basis. If you got a good deal then good for you. I used to enjoy collecting but I gave it up years ago when I saw what the hobby had become. I much prefer just being a spectator these days.
Hoot,
The listing is still active and I doubt a good deal will come out at the end now.
I know where you are coming from thinking what the hobby has become, my experiences have cost me more than money but a lack of trust in many people, fortunately I have a few friends on this forum I occasionally meet at fairs and over the last year I have been helping a mate out and met some very knowledgeable and friendly dealers and at the same time think I have been able to help a few fellow collectors.
I think I probably over reacted with this thread and I apologise to Rob if I caused any ill feeling
The hobby is only dead when you stop collecting
Paul
Old 30-03-17, 10:13 PM

Question What price

When I started this thread, it was not done with intention of upsetting the proverbial applecart, but merely to say how I think collectors crave anything to do with WWII airborne and other special forces and pay prices beyond the pockets of young collectors.

I would say that the majority of dealers watch and buy from ebay without any prompting from threads on this forum. The problem with paying high prices even now is the fact that very occasionally a whole lot of these scarce items turn up from some store as did the glider pilot titles and the price plummets as expected.

As a long term collector of sixty-five years I can remember buying Airborne forces titles for 6d (2.5 pence) each, but remember, we were not paid a fortune in those days, my starting wage as an apprentice was £4.00 a week and there were lots of shops selling surplus badges plus current issue for National Servicemen.

Go to any militaria fair these days and look around at the people attending, most will be over forty and very few youngsters buying badges, even the fakes sell for £2-£3 each and this element of collecting was absent in the early fifties when I started, so those 2.5p purchases were guaranteed to be originals, so no worries there.

I know there are some incredibly scarce items to have survived the years such as Ray's plastic Army Educational Corps and yes, if you really want that item to complete your collecting aspect then buy it, we pass this way once, but I do wonder what will happen to our collections in the future without young collectors to pick up the reins.

Rob
Old 31-03-17, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray smith View Post
Hi Jerry
Thats the price they go for. Some of the GMG badges fetch a lot more,
Regards
Ray
That seems to be the case but I will not be buying any at that price, jeez. A lot of badges etc are priced at what I think is far more than I am willing to pay, that is fine, I won't be buying them. I understand the laws of supply and demand and if that is what they go for, well who can blame a seller for listing them at that price.

Jerry
Old 31-03-17, 01:03 PM

Who is "Little Jim" does he collect badges, is he a member of this forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwash View Post
fear not Little Jim, supply and demand. it is the case that ' I have what you desire '. ergo, like minds pay whatever it takes to acquire the precious things and are content with that mindset. it is a fact that there is always another person whose wish is greater than thine.
Old 31-03-17, 01:08 PM

For me, at least, it was always just a schoolboy hobby, but, I can see where you are coming from, few schoolboys could collect these days.
It is certainly true that the asking price for all things airborne has become very high indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I was watching this little lot with some interest when I suddenly noticed the price increase, whilst I know the South Staffordshire Regt was involved with the airborne operation at Arnhem and there is a small glider badge included, I do wonder sometimes whether badge collecting has gone beyond the pockets of the average person.

Small wonder that there are few young collectors coming into the hobby, soon it will be the perogative of lottery winners and premier league footballers.

Rob

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...p2047675.l2565
Old 31-03-17, 01:11 PM

I thought of you the other day when I noted a former member of this forum had a single Pegasus listed at a sobering £109!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
The Glide patch if wartime fetches a good price on its own and any printed titles to units that served with the airborne forces always attract top dollar from what I have observed. Look at a the prices for pegasus patches which are very common but always expensive.
Old 31-03-17, 01:14 PM

Actually, it is £109.99!
Old 31-03-17, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Actually, it is £109.99!
Frank,

Going rate seems to be about £140-180 a pair though some variants are more, single mostly seem to be £75.

I actually purchased a missmatched printed pair from ebay a few months back for a buy it now price of £100 only to be contacted by the seller to tell me they had been stolen from their house by builders!

Jerry
Old 31-03-17, 07:22 PM

I think, generally speaking, they are very overpriced, Jerry, I hope you got your money back, interestingly, I note another forum member, this time, one who has not been banned, thinks nothing of charging some £200 a pair, amazing!
Old 31-03-17, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I think, generally speaking, they are very overpriced, Jerry, I hope you got your money back, interestingly, I note another forum member, this time, one who has not been banned, thinks nothing of charging some £200 a pair, amazing!
I did indeed get my money back.

Jerry
Old 31-03-17, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I was watching this little lot with some interest when I suddenly noticed the price increase, whilst I know the South Staffordshire Regt was involved with the airborne operation at Arnhem and there is a small glider badge included, I do wonder sometimes whether badge collecting has gone beyond the pockets of the average person.

Small wonder that there are few young collectors coming into the hobby, soon it will be the perogative of lottery winners and premier league footballers.

Rob

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI...p2047675.l2565
I can't speak for you, but when I win the lottery I will be doing far more exciting things than buying badges on ebay.
Old 01-04-17, 01:31 PM

An interesting development on the listing, the bidder who surpassed my bid has now withdrew his leading bid, he has left his trail of other bids keeping my bid at its highest. Yes I guess you are on the forum and are probably having a little chuckle to yourself.
Paul
Old 01-04-17, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
An interesting development on the listing, the bidder who surpassed my bid has now withdrew his leading bid, he has left his trail of other bids keeping my bid at its highest. Yes I guess you are on the forum and are probably having a little chuckle to yourself.
Paul
Thats a bit Jack is it not ? retracting a bid like that.
Andy