British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-07-08, 08:48 PM

Default Bags of Canadian Badges

The story can, at least in part, be let out after 39 years, although names will not be mentioned. I was in Toronto in mid-1969 attending a Canadian Forces Staff School course. As I was based in Calgary, I could not go home on week-ends like my colleagues from Ontario and Quebec, so I hung around a shop on Queen Street East that sold militaria. One Friday afternoon the owner asked if was interested in going to Cobourg, east of Toronto, to look at a pile of badges. Cobourg was the site of a large Ordnance depot for central Canada, and held stocks of clothing and accoutrements.
Working at the depot was a corporal who was also a badge collector - talk about giving the fox a key to the hen house. Off we went to Cobourg to visit him. He had learned that all stocks of King's Crown Canadian Army badges had been sold for scrap. He contacted the scrap dealer and made the appropriate financial and transportation arrangements to have the badges delivered to his house. They were contained in cardboard barrels about three feet high and 18 inches in diameter, and there literally scores of barrels in rows on his basement floor. Thus were Second World War and post-war King's Crown badges saved for posterity. The lot included badges of regiments that were disbanded in the 1964-5 militia reorganization such as the 19th Alberta Dragoons and 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards, and also a barrel each of Queen's Crown badges of the The Halifax Rifles and Victoria Rifles of Canada.
Michael Reintjes is correct in saying that they are genuine, unissued badges. Some became partially discoloured during manufacture or storage, but the expectation was they would acquire greater lustre in the hands of the keen soldiers to whom they would eventually be issued.
To return to the tale, the Toronto dealer did not buy them but other dealers did and the market suddenly saw a surfeit of KC badges. The corporal was nearing retirement and wanted to buy a car wash to supplement his pension; I think he achieved his aim. Who ever bought the Queen's Crown Halifax Rifles and Victoria Rifles badges is letting them out a few at a time and realizing a good price for them, if there are indeed any left.
Old 02-11-11, 01:18 AM

Default red felt

Yes, this is an old thread but I have to ask...!
I have a red tab with Le Regiment De Joliette. It feels like felt.
I am new to to this area of insignia collecting and I'm finding it very fascinating with the varied array of Royal militaria so what do any of you make of it?

Thanks,

Wiley Winter
Old 02-11-11, 08:39 PM

I'm interested in the "bags" of RCAC and CWAC badges.
Old 02-11-11, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Hello sigma9r, An image of the item would be helpful. I think it is a shoulder title.
Old 09-11-11, 05:41 PM

One of the first jobs that I had as a kid (DND Summer Student Program) was working at an old military supply depot..... One of our jobs was to take old cardboard barrels of badges that had kings crowns, place the badge on an anvel and strike it with a ballpeen hammer...... They were then sold as scrap metal..... They mostly went to a local dealer called Crown Surplus and I remember seeing them there for many years..... I was not a collector at the time and I know I cringe when I remember doing it but I did save a few..... To settle a number of questions as to "What were the badges?"...... There were no rare badges as I remember but mostly general service badges and some metal trade badges..... I will now say to all badge collectors..... Sorry.....

Mike
Want's anything named Clare or Cherer