British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Infantry and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-08-08, 03:13 PM

Default 27th Infantry Battalion (The South Australian Scottish Regiment)

The cap badge of the 27th Infantry Battalion.

Founded in 1903 as the South Australian Scottish Regiment it has been amalgamated into the Royal South Australian Regiment

I have tried all manner of things (Macro, flash, no flash and various distances) however I have found it difficult to overcome the shine on this silver badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27 Btn.jpg (15.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 31-08-08, 08:42 PM

I found that for silver badges such as this, set your camera to macro (close in) mode, no flash and take the photo in good natural light.

Mick
Old 01-09-08, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_mick View Post
I found that for silver badges such as this, set your camera to macro (close in) mode, no flash and take the photo in good natural light.

Mick
Thanks slick_mick

I did that a number of times and what I posted was the best of the bunch.

I photographed the badge at night so could not do so under natural light (only florescent) and had intended to photo other white metal badges during daylight to see how that worked out.

The 27th badge was unusually bright
Old 01-09-08, 06:40 AM

To add to my previous comments, I get the best results from photographing in the morning light and indoors. I find that gives me the best results.

Mick
Old 01-09-08, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmajor View Post
The cap badge of the 27th Infantry Battalion.

Founded in 1903 as the South Australian Scottish Regiment it has been amalgamated into the Royal South Australian Regiment

I have tried all manner of things (Macro, flash, no flash and various distances) however I have found it difficult to overcome the shine on this silver badge
Nice one, sarmajor. As a South Australian, I can pontificate on this one until the cows come home -- but I won't! I will ask if it's the early or late version, though (can't see through all that glare!) The 1938 version has a 'long-grained' stippled background behind the 27, while the postwar (1950s) version has 'dotted' stipling. Here's the later one on the tam o' shanter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27th 001.jpg (97.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 27th 002.jpg (62.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-09-08, 11:18 AM

Quote:
The 1938 version has a 'long-grained' stippled background behind the 27, while the postwar (1950s) version has 'dotted' stipling
Yes letterman - mine is also the 1950 version

I will keep my eye open for another as I work my way through my collection
Old 13-09-08, 07:35 AM

Default Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Nice one, sarmajor. As a South Australian, I can pontificate on this one until the cows come home -- but I won't! I will ask if it's the early or late version, though (can't see through all that glare!) The 1938 version has a 'long-grained' stippled background behind the 27, while the postwar (1950s) version has 'dotted' stipling. Here's the later one on the tam o' shanter.
Just to set the record straight: I must have had a bad case of brain fade when I wrote this. The background to the 27 on the 1938 pattern badge is a series of horizontal lines, not the way I described it above. The Shiraz or Cab Sauv or whatever I was on that night must have kicked in!
Old 25-06-11, 04:15 AM

I have the 30-42 version . When I work out how to post photos I will put it on. I do know natural indirect light is best for shiny reflective badges.
Old 28-06-11, 04:00 AM

Default 1930-42 badge

Here is a photo of mine. Notice how the two middle antlers dont go all the way to the edge.
The post war version does.
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27sas 002.jpg (79.0 KB, 28 views)