British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-22, 11:55 AM

Default Flaming Bomb Badge Backing Colours

Happy Easter everyone.
Before asking this question I have looked through old posts but can't find the answer, so here goes...
When the Flaming Bomb badge, brass and plastic, was worn during WW2 with the Royal Artillery red and blue cloth diamond backing, my understanding was that (as you look at it) that the colours were always red and then blue, as the other way around would be Royal Engineers.
However, a trawl on the internet reveals numerous pictures of the RA (seven flames) bomb on the diamond backing, and described as Royal Artillery.
Can I please ask...did any regiments or sub units of Royal Artillery wear the red/blue backing around the other way (blue/red), or, have people just honestly put a grenade back on the backing the wrong way??
Many thanks for any help.
Old 16-04-22, 12:45 PM

Don't know but is it possible that someone saw some of the arm patches and got confused ?

Army Group/Corps arm badges came in pairs :
Quote:
The red colour in artilery badges was always worn to the front so this item would be for the right arm.
Photos from IWM :
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30071646

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Art Right Arm.jpg (16.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Art Left Arm.jpg (16.8 KB, 4 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-04-22, 01:01 PM

Default My Fault Mike

Hi Mike,

My fault. Sorry. I meant when the metal or plastic flaming bomb (7 flames) was worn on the slouch hat or pugaree in India, Burma, etc, during WW2. Sorry I didn't explain myself better.

I have just come across another example that is currently for sale on EBay, eBay item number:175235613401

I'm sure red comes first, but not entirely confident to say so, and was looking for an ex Gunner or RA collector to know for sure.

Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Don't know but is it possible that someone saw some of the arm patches and got confused ?

Army Group/Corps arm badges came in pairs :

Photos from IWM :
https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30071646

Old 16-04-22, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
I have just come across another example that is currently for sale on EBay, eBay item number:175235613401

I'm sure red comes first, but not entirely confident to say so, and was looking for an ex Gunner or RA collector to know for sure.

Amy
Hi Amy , eBay item looks like a simple error with the badge put on upside down.

As the badges would be worn on the left hand side of slouch hat or pugaree then they would be "red to the front".

I visited the Royal Artillery Museum (Rotunda) during my training at Woolwich and never saw any the other way round.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 16-04-22, 01:56 PM

Default Thank You

Mike,
That's fantastic - thank you.
I did think they were all genuine mistakes, rather than anything malicious, but just wanted to double check with someone who actually knew, rather than a 'guessed' like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Hi Amy , eBay item looks like a simple error with the badge put on upside down.

As the badges would be worn on the left hand side of slouch hat or pugaree then they would be "red to the front".

I visited the Royal Artillery Museum (Rotunda) during my training at Woolwich and never saw any the other way round.

Old 16-04-22, 02:09 PM

Amy, If you look at image number 3 you will see that the stain of where the badge was does not match were it is now.

Marc
Old 16-04-22, 04:34 PM

Default We rest our case...

Marc,
Got that. Phew! Dilemma for me now over.
A chap from 39 Regiment, R.A. told me it should always red facing forwards and I believed him. These images the other way around spooked me.
Just goes to show...always trust a Gunner.
Thank you Mike and thank you Marc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Amy, If you look at image number 3 you will see that the stain of where the badge was does not match were it is now.

Marc
Old 16-04-22, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy View Post
Marc,
Got that. Phew! Dilemma for me now over.
A chap from 39 Regiment, R.A. told me it should always red facing forwards and I believed him. These images the other way around spooked me.
Just goes to show...always trust a Gunner.
Thank you Mike and thank you Marc.
Unless it is a square Drop Zone Flash or TRF, then it is red on top.

Marc