British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-22, 04:26 PM

Default Coldstream Guards sentry

I have to remark on interesting photo, likely sometime from the late 1880s judging by the "tini" rifle.
The guard box is very well worn and used; surprisingly so. One would have thought a replacement would have occurred some time ago.
As is typical from that time, his uniform has a slept in appearance as they were certainly worn far more often than the full dress of today. Note the shoes are very dusty and worn, no clean tarmac in those days. I suspect foot gear did not generally get the polish we are accustomed to seeing in modern times.
I recall Frank Richards relating that the fur fusilier cap issued to him in the RWF was quite worn with bald spots back in early 1900s, and whilst in India, their KD tunics would often get very a good beating by the Dhobi.
Rather different from these days I think.
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/a-co...1139233769390/

CB
Old 08-04-22, 10:01 PM

I don't recall that Frank Richards comment regarding headdress. Where does it come from, please?
Old 09-04-22, 12:36 AM

I can't recall if it was from Old Soldier Sahib or Old Soldiers Never Die, but I could be mistaken on both as to the origin. I VERY distinctly recall reading it from some old account.

CB
Old 09-04-22, 04:32 AM

1 RRF Drummers were wearing 1914 and thereabouts dated fur cap's and full dress tunics and trousers during the 1970's, albeit the items were in good order.

Ex Guardsmen will have more knowledge than I do of the state of sentry boxes at Buckingham Palace during the 1970's but I remember the slots in their roofs, caused by sentries forgetting to take a step forward out of the box before presenting arms with bayonet fixed.
Old 09-04-22, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I have to remark on interesting photo, likely sometime from the late 1880s judging by the "tini" rifle.
The guard box is very well worn and used; surprisingly so. One would have thought a replacement would have occurred some time ago.
As is typical from that time, his uniform has a slept in appearance as they were certainly worn far more often than the full dress of today. Note the shoes are very dusty and worn, no clean tarmac in those days. I suspect foot gear did not generally get the polish we are accustomed to seeing in modern times.
I recall Frank Richards relating that the fur fusilier cap issued to him in the RWF was quite worn with bald spots back in early 1900s, and whilst in India, their KD tunics would often get very a good beating by the Dhobi.
Rather different from these days I think.
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/a-co...1139233769390/

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
I don't recall that Frank Richards comment regarding headdress. Where does it come from, please?
I recall it too. In the first chapter ‘Enlistment’, of ‘Old Soldier Sahib’ (p.32 in my edition):

‘Every six months a man was entitled to a new pair of boots, and every twelve months a new suit of scarlet, but he had to wait until he had completed twelve months’ service before he was entitled to a proper scarlet tunic of more expensive cloth than the serge he got at first. He also was then issued with a busby, the tall fur head-dress [sic] reserved for Guards and Fusiliers. The ones issued about this time could have done with a little hair-restorer, but they were very light to wear…’

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 09-04-22 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-04-22, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post

Ex Guardsmen will have more knowledge than I do of the state of sentry boxes at Buckingham Palace during the 1970's but I remember the slots in their roofs, caused by sentries forgetting to take a step forward out of the box before presenting arms with bayonet fixed.
Double clicking on the photo brings up some annotation which says the sentry box is at Tower of London. Can imagine it (everything) getting more run down there than Buck Palace.
Old 09-04-22, 01:41 PM

"He also was then issued with a busby, the tall fur head-dress [sic] reserved for Guards and Fusiliers. The ones issued about this time could have done with a little hair-restorer, but they were very light to wear…’"

I wonder if the hair-restorer comment referred to the length of the fur on the Fusiliers fur cap as compared to that of the Guards, the fur of the Fusiliers caps is shorter.

(A RRF cap of synthetic fur, I don't know the date of manufacture or if it was adopted rather than just used for trials).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 copy.jpg (64.8 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-04-22, 01:59 PM

Quote:
"He also was then issued with a busby, the tall fur head-dress [sic] reserved for Guards and Fusiliers. The ones issued about this time could have done with a little hair-restorer, but they were very light to wear…’"

I wonder if the hair-restorer comment referred to the length of the fur on the Fusiliers fur cap as compared to that of the Guards, the fur of the Fusiliers caps is shorter.

(A RRF cap of synthetic fur, I don't know the date of manufacture or if it was adopted rather than just used for trials).
Ha! Yeah… a bit of inter-regimental fur envy going on ?
Old 09-04-22, 02:21 PM

Oh no, no, only the Guards deserve the soubriquet of "Woodentops".
And their fur cap's are made of proper bear skin whereas only a few dozen acrylics were slaughtered to make that Fusilier Cap I show.
Old 09-04-22, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Yes indeed. Not quite:
ur fusilier cap issued to him in the RWF was quite worn with bald spots back in early 1900s,

And India KD were frocks, not tunics.

The RWF were perhaps a cut above the Guards, and indeed refused the offer of becoming the Welsh Guards. Compare battle honours for example.