British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-04-22, 09:35 AM

Default A small study of Anodised Fusilier Brigade cap badges.

Hello all
I've been collecting Northumberland Fusiliers/Royal Northumberland Fusiliers badges and insignia for a couple of years now, and wanted to get a Fusilier 'Brigade' cap badge to go with my collection, not just make do with a Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, and so started my study.
Thanks to a couple of forum members and page 2 of this thread, https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...Brigade&page=2
I have come to my conclusions.
As seen on a few posts now, it's fact that the Fusilier Brigade badges were the wire loop fittings, as apposed to the flat half inch prongs that you see on the RRF badges, the wire loop Brigade badges would have obviously been worn by the RRF on formation, and well into probably the 80's, whatever the stores have to issue, but they would have started as 'Brigade' cap Badges and originally issued to stores as such.
I've three versions, please see photos attached.
The first badge is the Same pattern/strike as Mojob123's post on the above thread, he actually got his from a Fusilier in Aden 66/67.
Note the bottom left flame is a lot shorter than average, and the tips of the left 3 flames from the centre are more spikey than the others, on the back there is less definition to the flames, and the rivet hole has a raised circle,the bottom flames are solid and not carved out like other Fusiliers badges.
Also the ball of the grenade is a bit more bulbus as it were, so the St George and Dragon part is pushed out more. I found this badge out of all of them the hardest to find.
Badge two, this is the same pattern/strike of the one in Denis Woods book, The 5th Fusiliers and it's badges (still available on the Quartermasters site),
This has a slightly longer bottom left flame, and the top left 3 flames from the centre are less spiked and merge more into one another, on the back, more definition on the flames, and the bottom flames have a groove.
Third badge has a totally different flame shape, especially the length of the bottom left flame, on the back, a little less definition on the flames, and the wire loops are thinner than the other two.
If anyone has any different patterns/strikes I'd love to see them please.
It is believed that the flat half inch prongs came out just with the RRF badges, I've made a discovery while searching online, of a sealed pattern card for a Fusilier Brigade cap badge dated 16/9/66, this badge has the half inch prongs fittings,the cap badge itself is the same pattern/strike as the first badge in this thread.
On the back of the card is various badge makers with dates on them going into the 80's that's interesting, so there is a half inch prong Fusilier Brigade cap badge out there too, which I want to get my hands on, but I did find this pattern of badge the hardest to find!
The badge is on this site,
https://www.thelanesarmoury.co.uk/shop.php?ps=1
just type Fusilier Brigade in the search. I don't want to put the photos on here just incase of copyright.
I hope people find this thread of some interest.
Thank you
Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085333503.jpg (66.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085344494.jpg (61.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085535207_HDR.jpg (76.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085629170.jpg (61.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085637768.jpg (63.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085645617.jpg (66.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085705183.jpg (67.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085710814.jpg (62.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_085719122.jpg (65.1 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by 3dg; 06-04-22 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-04-22, 06:42 PM

I think I've found at least one example of a Fus Bde badge with the 1/2" flat pierced blade type fittings amongst the Fus Bde and RRF badges I have, albeit with the fittings missing, I'll delve further into the bits of damaged badges I have.
Old 06-04-22, 07:31 PM

That'll be great Leigh, cheers.
I hope this thread will be of some help to someone.
Chris
Old 07-04-22, 10:28 AM

I'll check out all my variations when I get home and see if I can add anything . . .
Old 07-04-22, 12:24 PM

Here are some of my spares:
Brigade period wire lugs (slightly pinched)
RRF long flat lugs (two prong centre)
RRF long flat lugs (riveted centre)

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 07-04-22 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 12:35 PM

Belt plate badges (not spare except middle one which is a modified cap badge with cut down flat lugs E-W) and two or more types of Collar Badges (all spare).

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 07-04-22 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 01:21 PM

Thank you Tim for your contribution, your Brigade badge appears to be a better condition of my badge number two?
Interesting you show the collar badges, after a discussion with forum members Bess55 and Leighkitchen a while back, we came to the conclusion that the earlier collar badge is the last one on the picture of the three collar badges, without the rivet fastener, it's just a small tab of some sort, this would be the type worn in the Brigade period.
I look forward to your Brigade badges Sean.
Many thanks
Chris
Old 07-04-22, 01:39 PM

The belt plate badges - the only ones I'm aware of from the 1970's have West/ East fittings - convenient as when the fittings broke you could remove the hackle fitting from a cap badge and use it on the belt plate although the lugs were long.
I have a few damaged badges from the 70's thus "converted" from cap to belt plate wear including one or two which have then been painted black and used on the beret again in NI.
Old 07-04-22, 02:56 PM

Im away at present, but Ive a feeling I have belt plate badges with E-W and N-S lugs. Ill post pics at the weekend. Be interesting to identify the actual badges used.

Last edited by bess55; 07-04-22 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-04-22, 04:45 PM

Here is another Brigade period cap badge with round loops/lugs and a probable Brigade period collar badge with small tab and clearer definition behind the flames.

Tim
Old 07-04-22, 05:18 PM

Default Royal Regiment of Fusiliers RRF

Then there is this lot which I now need to adjust to reflect the information from this thread!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C037C206-7511-458E-A861-1E4BD0C495F1.jpg (74.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 07-04-22, 08:01 PM

Default Anodised Aluminium Fusiliers' Brigade Badges

Hi Chris

I wanted to thank you for starting up what is a most interesting thread, and how impressed I am by your assessment of the different flame patterns of these badges. I am also grateful for the contributions from Leigh, Bess and Tim, especially Tim for posting up his badges as well. In fact, looking at his and yours, I think I am right, at least when it comes to the early ones with wire loops/lugs, in that Tim’s first badge here has the same pattern as your second one here, and his second badge here is the same as your first one here, though I’d obviously appreciate confirmation of this? I also wondered if you had managed to find any matches for these variants with marked examples, so as to attribute makers? The “Unique 'Sealed Pattern' Cap Badge of the Fusilier Brigade 16.9 1966” on ‘The Lanes Armoury’ site is also extremely interesting, and quite a find!

Best regards

Martin

P.S. That’s a very impressive collection you have there Tim, all nicely displayed, so thank for sharing this.

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 07-04-22, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Here is another Brigade period cap badge with round loops/lugs and a probable Brigade period collar badge with small tab and clearer definition behind the flames.

Tim
Super Tim
This is the pattern that is the first one shown on my OP, the one I found hard to get. It's the same pattern/strike Mojob123 got in Aden in 66/67.
The collar I'd say is the early one, so more than likely Brigade.
Many thanks again Tim.
Chris
Old 07-04-22, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Then there is this lot which I now need to adjust to reflect the information from this thread!

Tim
Really nice display Tim,
Sorry to mess it up.
Chris
Old 07-04-22, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Ticker' Riley View Post
Hi Chris

I wanted to thank you for starting up what is a most interesting thread, and how impressed I am by your assessment of the different flame patterns of these badges. I am also grateful for the contributions from Leigh, Bess and Tim, especially Tim for posting up his badges as well. In fact, looking at his and yours, I think I am right, at least when it comes to the early ones with wire loops/lugs, in that Tim’s first badge here has the same pattern as your second one here, and his second badge here is the same as your first one here, though I’d obviously appreciate confirmation of this? I also wondered if you had managed to find any matches for these variants with marked examples, so as to attribute makers? The “Unique 'Sealed Pattern' Cap Badge of the Fusilier Brigade 16.9 1966” on ‘The Lanes Armoury’ site is also extremely interesting, and quite a find!

Best regards

Martin

P.S. That’s a very impressive collection you have there Tim, all nicely displayed, so thank for sharing this.
Glad you found the thread interesting Martin.
You're correct with the badges as you said regarding being the same with mine and Tim's.
I don't think there are any marked Brigade badges, but I'll happily stand corrected.
Cheers
Chris

Last edited by 3dg; 07-04-22 at 09:07 PM.

Tags
anodised, fusiliers