British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-12-21, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
The price sought may be an issue given how common these badges are a quick glance upon ebay shows that they can still be had for less than the asking price.
Chrome/Nickel plated ones do not appear very often and a good quality one would usually be snapped up for the price being asked.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 27-12-21, 06:39 AM

Really, interestingly whilst typing post fourteen, I did "snap" one up for significantly less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Chrome/Nickel plated ones do not appear very often and a good quality one would usually be snapped up for the price being asked.

Old 27-12-21, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Really, interestingly whilst typing post fourteen, I did "snap" one up for significantly less!
I love to see it as I must have missed the listing .

Old 27-12-21, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
If I remember correctly chrome didn't come out until some 10 years after Ww1 if it is chromed , I have a nickel plated one somewhere.
To be honest , if it's silver and shiny I call it chrome !

I guess a lot of the early 'chromed' badges were actually EPNS ?

Old 27-12-21, 12:24 PM

Quote:
To be honest , if it's silver and shiny I call it chrome !

I guess a lot of the early 'chromed' badges were actually EPNS ?

Nickel was normally used prior to chrome so possibly the EPNS process yes.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 27-12-21, 12:50 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
If I remember correctly chrome didn't come out until some 10 years after Ww1 if it is chromed , I have a nickel plated one somewhere.
Yes, I would agree with you. I seem to remember that Chrome was not used on badges until 1926 but the process of Chroming was developed in the late 1890s. However as they say, “Don’t quote me on that”.
Cheers
James
Old 27-12-21, 02:08 PM

Just got a "seller offer" reducing the price to £21.00 but I'm still not interested !

Old 27-12-21, 03:36 PM

I have yet to see a chrome plated example, but, just from the poor images, I would have said it was nickel plated to both the reverse and it's obverse, if it is wrong, someone has gone to an awful lot of trouble given it's pin, which you would not expect to see upon a base alloy "brass" type example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
It is not chrome-plated. I have yet to see a badge that is only chrome-plated on one side.
Old 27-12-21, 10:50 PM

I'll check with a couple of my examples but I seem to recall that with one of these and a 1915 badge that I thought were plated, a discreet scratch and polish test on the side (much as they do to test gold...) showed a silvery metal.

Not inconceivable that they were issued both plated and in nickel silver. This raises the old question of what function the plated/ nickel badges served.

Something to keep us all talking....
Old 28-12-21, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Both Wylie and Gaunt examples can often be found nickel plated and some do have a finer jeweller type hinge to their reverse.
This confuses me

Standard brass badges are produced by both Gaunt and Wylie , they are made with the same 'basic' pin fitting and stamped with an "issue" number .

At some point the 'finer jeweller type hinge' and plating are applied or did the manufacturers make individually numbered 'special' badges ?

Or is it possible that the original hinge was damaged and replaced before the badge was 'plated' ????

NB. The badge in the original post now appears as "This listing has ended" , no mention of it being sold. The seller had a basic brass Wylie version with a price tag of £22.99 that they sold for a "best offer" earlier this month.

Old 09-01-22, 10:01 AM

I think, based upon the numbers extant, these badges were deliberately manufactured, they are certainly not repaired.
A precedent had already been set with the plated 1915 badges, I would assume to distinguish between a worker and a chargehand/manageress, so you end up with a badge of office/rank and a way to recognise a particular individual without initially knowing her name.

Quote:
This confuses me

Standard brass badges are produced by both Gaunt and Wylie , they are made with the same 'basic' pin fitting and stamped with an "issue" number .

At some point the 'finer jeweller type hinge' and plating are applied or did the manufacturers make individually numbered 'special' badges ?

Or is it possible that the original hinge was damaged and replaced before the badge was 'plated' ????

NB. The badge in the original post now appears as "This listing has ended" , no mention of it being sold. The seller had a basic brass Wylie version with a price tag of £22.99 that they sold for a "best offer" earlier this month.

Old 09-01-22, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I think, based upon the numbers extant, these badges were deliberately manufactured, they are certainly not repaired.
A precedent had already been set with the plated 1915 badges, I would assume to distinguish between a worker and a chargehand/manageress, so you end up with a badge of office/rank and a way to recognise a particular individual without initially knowing her name.
I have seen the 'finer jeweller type hinge' on other badges but have personally not seen it on other OWS 1916 badges , was it used by both Gaunt and Wylie ?

Sally Bosley's site has a Gaunt '1916 Munition Workers nickel plated trianglular badge' which has the basic pin fitting.

Regarding the "precedent" with the plated 1915 badges , I can find no information that these were specifically made/issued to identify the chargehand/manageress. Both “On War Service” Badges, 1914-19 The Official Issues by Ton Tulloch-Marshall and the later "British “On War Service” Badges 1914-1919" by Tony James make no mention at all about there being a different/special plated badge.

While there have been suggestions/theories there was also the idea that the letters on the 1915 badges were indicative of occupations (which they weren't) , as Tony James notes at the end of his article :

Quote:
So, nearly a hundred years on, there are still questions to be asked and research to be done.

PS. Is the plated badge you "snapped up" made by Gaunt or Wylie and can you post a photo ?

Old 09-01-22, 05:27 PM

Yes, examples from both those manufacturers do turn up, I cannot comment on the plated badge you mention as I have not seen it, have you asked Sally for her thoughts?
I used the word precedent in respect of the actual plating of the 1915 badges and those examples certainly would not have been worn by a manageress, I did began my last post with the phrase "I think" and those remain my thoughts.
I also think that because a particular badge has not been seen by a particular person and is not referred to in a particular published work, it should not immediately be assumed that it cannot have existed.
I feel that you have hit the nail upon the head with Tony James quote, there certainly are so many question to still answer sadly.
Regarding your post script, I have no idea, as it has not arrived yet, come to that, neither has anything else including a bill or two, actually I can't remember when I last saw the postman.

Anyway, I will consult the secretary of the MHS on this matter, he has a truly remarkable home front collection, at our meeting on Wednesday.

Quote:
I have seen the 'finer jeweller type hinge' on other badges but have personally not seen it on other OWS 1916 badges , was it used by both Gaunt and Wylie ?

Sally Bosley's site has a Gaunt '1916 Munition Workers nickel plated trianglular badge' which has the basic pin fitting.

Regarding the "precedent" with the plated 1915 badges , I can find no information that these were specifically made/issued to identify the chargehand/manageress. Both “On War Service” Badges, 1914-19 The Official Issues by Ton Tulloch-Marshall and the later "British “On War Service” Badges 1914-1919" by Tony James make no mention at all about there being a different/special plated badge.

While there have been suggestions/theories there was also the idea that the letters on the 1915 badges were indicative of occupations (which they weren't) , as Tony James notes at the end of his article :

PS. Is the plated badge you "snapped up" made by Gaunt or Wylie and can you post a photo ?

Old 09-01-22, 05:31 PM

I have never seen an actual silver example, when you look at the quality of some home front badges, the thought of economy does not seem to have occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
I'll check with a couple of my examples but I seem to recall that with one of these and a 1915 badge that I thought were plated, a discreet scratch and polish test on the side (much as they do to test gold...) showed a silvery metal.

Not inconceivable that they were issued both plated and in nickel silver. This raises the old question of what function the plated/ nickel badges served.

Something to keep us all talking....
Old 09-01-22, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Regarding your post script, I have no idea, as it has not arrived yet, come to that, neither has anything else including a bill or two, actually I can't remember when I last saw the postman.
I know that feeling , one badge from Northern Ireland took 21 days to arrive and I'm still waiting for a couple that were 'supposed' to have been posted just after Christmas !