British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-07-15, 02:16 PM

Default St Peters School OTC

I acquired these Cap badges ? and collars with an RAF medal and logbook grouping WW2 period and wondered if they would have belonged to the chap pre war in the 1930's or perhaps his father who was WW1 RE ?
Also is one of the cap badges missing the crown or was this a different variant ?

Would this be St Peters School York ??

Cheers

Gary
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StPobv.jpg (48.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg StPrev.jpg (53.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg StP~collar.jpg (40.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg StPCollar2.jpg (56.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-07-15, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman101 View Post
I acquired these Cap badges ? and collars with an RAF medal and logbook grouping WW2 period and wondered if they would have belonged to the chap pre war in the 1930's or perhaps his father who was WW1 RE ?
Also is one of the cap badges missing the crown or was this a different variant ?

Would this be St Peters School York ??

Cheers

Gary
Gary

yes it is St Peter's York. They were worn from 1913 onwards so could be either depending on their school age. There was a post 1948 CCF design so http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ctureid=116471 I expect the K/C version to have been in use from then and well into the 50's.

I am after that badge so if you ever want to sell it then let me know.

The crownless one is recorded in Kipling and King but not shown.

Last edited by Alan O; 10-07-15 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 08:11 PM

Gary,

Those 'collars' are shoulder titles.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 26-08-15, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

The obituary of the CCF's SI in 1951 may help to explain why these OTC badges are so hard to find.

'As Sergeant Instructor in the Corps—whether it was called O.T.C. or J.T.C.—Puddick's services were invaluable. A succession of Commanding Officers will bear witness to his efficiency in keeping the ledgers and in looking after the Stores—it was his boast that only one boy ever got away with his cap badge at the end of his time with the Corps.'

I still can't date the crownless version but I am assuming that it was an early version or broken.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stpete...7720103057371/

The cap badges are indistinct but the JTC sign from the 1948 clearly shows the crown on top of the badge.

Last edited by Alan O; 05-04-22 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-04-22, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

I now have one of the crownless badges and as per the one in post 1 there is no sign of the a crown ever being there.

The school's archive (see link above) shows the crowned badge in use in the 1930s but there are no clear photos of the badges in WW1 or the 1920's. Frustratingly the 1914 picture showing the cadets in their new uniforms soon after founding is without a single cap badge!

I can only summarise that the crownless is the first pattern and was replaced by a crowned version which lasted until the CCF one appeared post 1947. As far as I am aware there is not a JTC version in existance.

The badges are identical so I think that it's possible that the original die has been re-cut to add in the crown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3617.jpg (48.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3616 (1).jpg (54.9 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 05-04-22 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-04-22, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

and finally a picture of the badge in use.