British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-10-17, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummajor View Post
Hello Chris, hope you don't mind me butting in. I mucked about with the image a bit and although it is grainy you can see the voids a bit better.
Regards Phil.
The edges appear to be scalloped out rather than a round disc shape.
Old 20-10-17, 11:57 AM

Dear Phil and Mike and Alan O.

Thank you very much for the improved sight of the badge the Pipe Major is wearing. I really do think from your more enhanced photo that it is a Clan Grant Plaid Brooch.

Also the answer that Alan O has posted about the badges in general being what ever was available at the time. That makes sense especially with the Junior Leaders Regiment closing down in 1967 and the photo of the Pipe Major wearing what I now think is a Grant Plaid Brooch in 1968. As I mentioned future training of boy soldiers after 1967 went to Harrogate and the bands continued there.

I have also attached a photo that was sent to me by Cliff Lord some time ago. At the time I did not know who the band and pipers were.

I am now more than happy to say it is the band and pipers of the Army Apprentice College, Harrogate. Date unknown to me but two points I should like to point out.

As you mentioned earlier Mike the original photo I posted showed the bandsmen with no collar dogs. This photo indeed shows them wearing signals collar dogs if you increase the size of the photo.

Secondly, two of the Pipers (One looks to be the Junior Pipe Major) are wearing the Black Watch Plaid Brooch as shown in the first of Mikes photos on this Thread. The rest of the Pipers are wearing the Chrome Quoit without the void in the middle but with the Jimmy badge. The senior Pipe Major at the far left is wearing his own unit Plaid Brooch by the looks of it.

I think this has answered my query quite fully now. Just have to get hold of the Brooch for my collection.

Many thanks yet again to members of the Forum for helping to come up with what I think is the answer.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16Sigs.jpg (55.9 KB, 25 views)
Old 23-10-17, 07:22 AM

Just to add my two pence worth, I think that the brooches being referred to above as Black Watch are, in fact, the Apprentice School plaid brooch of a plain St Andrews cross with a wreath worn on a plain chrome backing with a hole behind the cross. There's a picture of one in my Pipers badges album. There's also pictures of the actual Black Watch and the Clan Grant brooches for comparison. Sorry I can't attach copies, but I'm using an iPad not my usual computer.

Ian H
Old 23-10-17, 07:45 AM

Pictures of the 3 plaid brooches from my post above.

Ian H
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3608.jpg (58.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2066.jpg (84.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2173.jpg (60.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 23-10-17, 10:58 AM

Pipe Major 1968 John McKay. AAC. Harrogate.jpg

AAC Harrogate Part of the April 1978 photo.jpgDear Ian.

I take your word for the badge with the cross on it being the Harrogate badge. Hard to tell from the photos. Not something I am deeply into as you know my sphere is Signals Badges.

Pretty sure that A/T Pipe Major John McKay from the 1968 photo which I have attached a slightly better photo is wearing a Grant Plaid Brooch though.

As this Thread was originally about the Plaid Brooch being worn by the Pipers in the April 1978 photo I have also attached a slightly better photo of a couple of the Pipers that in my opinion clearly shows a Chrome Plaid Brooch with Jimmy in the middle and no void as per the current Signals brooch. Hope you agree. I suspect that as Alan O says the Grant Plaid being worn could well be stock from the Junior Leaders Regiment that was past on after the unit closed in 1967 and used before the Harrogate Plaid may have been produced.

The photo of the Pipe Major (Seated) at the beginning of the Thread I suspect is clearly showing what you call the Harrogate Plaid Brooch and is thought to be circa 1985. Again this would make sense as the badge was probably made after the April 1978 Signals Plaid had stopped being used in favour of the Harrogate Plaid.

All good news I suspect.

Best wishes

Chris Walker

Kind regards

Chris
Old 11-11-17, 02:01 PM

Default Can any one definately identify this Plaid Brooch

Dear Friends.

Really a follow on from a previous Thread but is there any chance that any member of the Forum can actually identify the Plaid Brooch that Apprentice Tradesman Pipe Major John McKay is wearing which I believe was taken in 1968 and shows him wearing the Black Watch Plaid that the Army Apprentice College Harrogate Pipe Band wore until the college closed in I think 1998.

I have attached as many photos as I can of the Plaid Brooch but can only guess. All the photos are not too clear I am afraid hence my request.

I have as you can see also attached a photo of the Clan Grant Plaid Brooch which is my best thought and show it here for a comparison.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pipe Major 1968 John McKay. AAC. Harrogate.jpg (49.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper circa 1968.jpg (25.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: png Capture.png (14.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Harrogate%20Piper%20circa%201968.jpg (29.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg grant_clan_plaid_brooch.jpg (32.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-11-17, 09:09 PM

Have you tried here? http://www.clangrant.org/contact.aspx

Rgds, Thomas
Old 12-11-17, 09:58 AM

Dear Thomas.

Yes. Still awaiting a reply.

Thanks

Chris
Old 17-11-17, 04:24 PM

Default Harrogate Pipers Plaid Brooch circa 1968

Oh Dear !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought I had come up trumps with the name of the Plaid Brooch worn by Pipe Major John McKay at Harrogate in the attached photo from 1968.

John who is now the Treasurer of the Association Of Harrogate Apprentices has kindly just emailed me to say how sorry he was but for the life of him he can not remember what the Plaid Brooch was that he was wearing.

So sad as I thought I was on a winner. He will try and find some better photos but does not hold out much hope.

Don't know where to go now.

Cheers for now

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper circa 1968.jpg (25.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 18-11-17, 02:10 AM

Hello Chris, I have taken the colour out of this picture and enhanced it as much as I can.
The plaid brooch looks to have voids around the circumference of the quoit, this doesn't help much but I guess this rules out Clan Grant.

Hope you solve the mystery.

Phil.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harrogate Piper circa 1968 (1).jpg (40.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 20-11-17, 11:28 AM

Default Army Apprentice College, Harrogate Plaid Brooch

Dear Friends.

Not sure if this has answered my question about the Army Apprentice College Plaid Brooch as worn by John McKay back in 1968.

But have to day received a photo that throws an entry on my little web site out of the window.

I have received the attached photo of a Clan Grant Plaid Brooch (That I have not seen before.) as worn by the Pipe Major of the Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Signals Pipe Band between 1962 and 1965. Definitely a Clan Grant Plaid Brooch with the burning tree and the motto Stand Fast on the circlet.

The burning tree looks very similar to the centre of the Harrogate plaid brooch. Still not sure though. Comments please.

What it has done is made a clearing mistake in my little web site. The Clan Grant I show for being the JLR Gant Plaid is really the more up to date Gurkha Siganls Pipe Band Plaid Brooch. Now I look at my site, the Plaid Brooch as worn by the Senior Pipe Sergeant Rod Mathieson in the black and white photo that I show really is the brooch sent to me in the photo of today.

Will now have to alter my site. I have attached photos that may be of interest to some members of the Forum regarding this Thread.

Best wishes

Chris Walker
www.signalsbadges.co.uk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JLR Clan Grant Plaid Brooch 1965.jpg (106.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Harrogate%20Piper%20circa%201968%20(1).jpg (40.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Senior Pipe Sergeant Rod Mathieson.jpg (40.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Gurkha%20Signals%20Plaid%20Brooch.jpg (50.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 23-01-22, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
These may help. The PMaj is circa 1985,the other late 60s early 70s i believe
Do you know the name of this Pipe Major and unit?
Old 23-01-22, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
Do you know the name of this Pipe Major and unit?
Which image are you refering to ?
I recall that there wasnt always an A/T pipe major,just as there wasnt an Apprentice band or bugle major. There wasnt any of the 3 when i left in March 83. The last A/T pipe major prior to that was Jock Brookes of Penney Squadron.