British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-11, 01:24 AM

Default LRDG Badges and Insignia 100% Iron Tight Provenance

Recently I have been helping value an important LRDG collection.

Items such as LRDG cap badges were easy to put a general value on, but I am having trouble with some of the unique one off items.

I do have a privacy agreement with the owner, and currently I only have permission to post the following item to find an acceptable general value.

However, I am working on obtaining permission to post the entire collection as an important LRDG resource for the military badge collecting community.

The following pair of shoulder titles need no explanation other than they were worn by the last commanding officer of the LRDG.

IMO these would have to be the Holy Grail of LRDG cloth insignia, my first thought was gotta be worth $2500 Usd, but after thinking about it for a couple of months, I think these bad boys should be valued at $5000 as a start price.

The question I am asking forum members is - "IF" these shoulder titles were to come on the market, what would you be prepared to pay to own an important piece of original LRDG history with 100% Iron Tight Provenance?

Brent

Old 17-08-11, 05:16 AM

Hi Brent a lot of$$$$$$$$$ for sure. I would think it would be at least GBP 1000+ but could fetch more. Rgds,JB
Old 17-08-11, 06:40 AM

Hi Brent in the last Wallis and Wallis auction a 2nd Lieutenants khaki slip on shoulder strap made £430
regards
Alan
Old 17-08-11, 07:04 AM
Banned

Brent - I believe your start price of $5000 is probably optimistic. It may well be a hammer price at a very good sale with the wind behind you but to start at that figure is risky. Also, you don't indicate whether the prices you wish to determine are for sale or insurance purposes - there is a difference. David
Old 17-08-11, 07:47 AM

Not much of a privacy agreement since they are stated to have belonged to "the last Commanding Officer of the LRDG"?
Old 17-08-11, 07:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Not much of a privacy agreement since they are stated to have belonged to "the last Commanding Officer of the LRDG"?
Quite ! David
Old 17-08-11, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Thats not that on topic to be honest...

-------------
On Topic

But for me, if they are 100% and came with something also eg letter from vet or a named item from vet, I was say it would fetch great money. Bozzys have sold singles for crap loads before. I recall one afew years back, and that was just the LRDG slipon. and that went for mad cash'

The extra Prov would always be a bonus, and for those chaps that say that the catalog etc is not enough prov 5 years down the road for resale if needed

from the looks of things, who they belong to and the fact that there is not many high end officer titles out there, they would fetch a prem in my books.

my 2 cents anyhow
Old 17-08-11, 12:02 PM

Default DLO

Friends,

If the provenance to David Lloyd Owen is 100 percent and taking into account this is a matching pair of titles, I think the value would be about 1200- 1500 GBP.

In an auction such as Bosley's you could see anything up to 2000 GBP or even higher.

5000 US sounds a bit over the top to me.

Best regards,

Johan

Last edited by johanwiegman; 01-09-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 17-08-11, 12:47 PM

Unfortunately only one of a pair:
img251.jpg
Old 17-08-11, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Chaps as mentioned it is my hope to obtain permission to post all the badges and insignia of this very important LRDG collection in this thread. It would be a shame that I have to keep all these lovely photographs and information to myself due to the lack of a little respect.

For the moment lets just focus on the shoulder boards.
As mentioned my initial valuation was $2500, but ask yourself how often do you see such a magnificent set of LRDG Lieutenant Colonel shoulder boards turn up?
How often do they come named with 100% Iron tight provenance?
Old 17-08-11, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
Chaps as mentioned it is my hope to obtain permission to post all the badges and insignia of this very important LRDG collection in this thread. It would be a shame that I have to keep all these lovely photographs and information to myself due to the lack of a little respect.

For the moment lets just focus on the shoulder boards.
As mentioned my initial valuation was $2500, but ask yourself how often do you see such a magnificent set of LRDG Lieutenant Colonel shoulder boards turn up?
How often do they come named with 100% Iron tight provenance?
Everything has a finite value. Auctions bring out the best and worst in people and we often can't explain ultra-high or bargain-low prices realised. You asked for opinions regarding value and you got a general concensus of around 1500 - 2000, perhaps a little more. Why push ? You have our opinions and no-one agrees with your value of 5000. That doesn't mean that one valuation is right and another is wrong - it's just opinions. You use the word 'respect' but that is a two way - not a one way - street. Of course, they are extremely nice items as everyone has said but they shouldn't create discord amongst us. David
Old 17-08-11, 02:22 PM

I believe he is wearing the slip on on this picture http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/OClrdg.html I believe price is what a fool pays for it.JB
Old 17-08-11, 03:18 PM

Cool Value

I must admit that these items are incredibly desirable to badge collectors, but the are only worth what someone will pay for them, people have different ideas of values, as someone said auctions bring out the best and the worst in people.

Perhaps it might be better not to separate such a valuable and rare collection up, but keep them together in memory of the man who wore them.
Old 17-08-11, 04:17 PM
Banned

Hello Gents,

I think attempting to define a start price for these items is actually a moot point!

With a HMS Tower Hamlets Rifles badge seemingly with no direct provenance selling recently for over £400 and a 1916 dated whistle that realised a priced in excess of £1000 a few days ago, I think these desirable items will find their true value without too much trouble.

Nice to see them.

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 17-08-11, 04:55 PM

The whistle was obviously shill bid up to that amount if you check the bidding history, in my opinion of course.

I don't think any money exchanged hands!