British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-07-11, 09:07 PM
Banned

So, not military at all ? With talk of 'unofficial wings' and the like, it all sounds a bit like Venture Scouts or Airborne Girl Guides. Can we assume that these 'wings' are not much more than decoration ? David
Old 22-07-11, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
So, not military at all ? With talk of 'unofficial wings' and the like, it all sounds a bit like Venture Scouts or Airborne Girl Guides. Can we assume that these 'wings' are not much more than decoration ? David
Unofficial they may be and collectable they are but I don't think that there is any need for derisory terms when referring to the service of this cadre. Unless of course there's a little envy going on, done a few jumps yourself have you David?
Old 22-07-11, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Unofficial they may be and collectable they are but I don't think that there is any need for derisory terms when referring to the service of this cadre. Unless of course there's a little envy going on, done a few jumps yourself have you David?
You just can't resist a jibe, can you ? Do you really expect me to publish my cv just to satisfy your obvious curiosity ? Be a good boy and stick to the thread - my opinion is just that - my opinion - why not just stick to your own ?
Old 22-07-11, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
You just can't resist a jibe, can you ? Do you really expect me to publish my cv just to satisfy your obvious curiosity ? Be a good boy and stick to the thread - my opinion is just that - my opinion - why not just stick to your own ?
Come on David we are both big boys, it was only the merest hint of a jibe. It’s just that from some of your recent posts I get the feeling that you view certain aspects of our armed forces with disdain.
That intrigues me coming from someone as deeply involved in this hobby as you are.
I'm just trying to figure out where your apparent lack of respect stems from, is it due to you having served with some level level of distinction in which case the odd sneer may be forgivable or does it come from a standpoint of ignorance or possibly regret at not having served.

No I don’t expect you to publish your CV in public but you could always PM me in confidence.

From one who has served.
Old 22-07-11, 11:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Come on David we are both big boys, it was only the merest hint of a jibe. It’s just that from some of your recent posts I get the feeling that you view certain aspects of our armed forces with disdain.
That intrigues me coming from someone as deeply involved in this hobby as you are.
I'm just trying to figure out where your apparent lack of respect stems from, is it due to you having served with some level level of distinction in which case the odd sneer may be forgivable or does it come from a standpoint of ignorance or possibly regret at not having served.

No I don’t expect you to publish your CV in public but you could always PM me in confidence.

From one who has served.
1. The subject of this thread is NOT part of our armed forces ; 2. I am not involved in a 'hobby' I am involved in a business ; 3. I don't 'sneer' I just seperate fact from fiction and 4. my cv is my business just as yours is to you. OK ? David
Old 22-07-11, 11:14 PM

David, the FANY are still very much part of our armed forces.....
Old 22-07-11, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
1. The subject of this thread is NOT part of our armed forces ; 2. I am not involved in a 'hobby' I am involved in a business ; 3. I don't 'sneer' I just seperate fact from fiction and 4. my cv is my business just as yours is to you. OK ? David
5. I'm dead easy to wind up. 6. I think I'm going to burst. 7. Nurse!!!!!
Old 22-07-11, 11:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
David, the FANY are still very much part of our armed forces.....
In what way are they 'part of our armed forces' ? They are a women's charitable organisation - unsworn and civilian in every respect. They attend 'military' camps by invitation and remain on MoD property under close personal supervision - as do Scouts, Guides, Outward Bound and the like. The 'wings' they win are entirely unofficial and are not military insignia. I do not denegrate the organisation but they should be kept in perspective. David
Old 23-07-11, 10:00 AM

'Counsel for the Defence', you are denegrating in your very wording.
FANY, as in the past is still are a much respected organisation, whether some forum members like it or not!
Old 23-07-11, 10:05 AM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farang View Post
My understanding is that the FANY cadre attached to 21 at the time was small, perhaps six to eight individuals, one of whom was married to the then Colonel commanding. A para course was arranged and an unofficial wing designed. There seems to be two varients, one with seven rigging lines and one with five, so it is possible that this training was repeated
they made 24 badge 12 with seven rigging lines and 12 with five rigging lines and they were all made in the UK and there were 11 who got the wing i was told

peter
Old 23-07-11, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter99 View Post
'Counsel for the Defence', you are denegrating in your very wording.
FANY, as in the past is still are a much respected organisation, whether some forum members like it or not!
I have not uttered a single word questioning the issue of 'much respected organisation'. So is the WRVS, so is the RNLI, so is the Salvation Army - and many more but, equally, they are NOT military organisations. If you care to re-read my posts you will see that what I have questioned is their services status, not their respectability. Please read before commenting ! David
Old 23-07-11, 11:43 AM

Quote:
In what way are they 'part of our armed forces' ? They are a women's charitable organisation - unsworn and civilian in every respect. They attend 'military' camps by invitation and remain on MoD property under close personal supervision - as do Scouts, Guides, Outward Bound and the like. The 'wings' they win are entirely unofficial and are not military insignia. I do not denegrate the organisation but they should be kept in perspective. David
The wings are official French miltiary wings.... I will check my books but they are considered part of the military.
Old 23-07-11, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
The wings are official French miltiary wings.... I will check my books but they are considered part of the military.
Confused !! Is this a British or French women's charitable organisation ?
Old 23-07-11, 01:55 PM

DAVID, If you read the web site http://www.fany.org.uk/ you will see that FANY(PRVC) can do the a French para course for two weeks to get French wings.
Many British para's have done this course and wear French wings and it was also open to non para personal aswell but you had to take leave to attend unless you could wrangle it as "adventure training".

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 23-07-11, 02:01 PM
Banned

Jerry - Where do British paras wear their French para wings ? Above their British wings, below them, on the other shoulder ? Are there any photos of British paras wearing French wings ? I'm on a learning curve here ! David