British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-05-19, 09:22 AM

Default Unknown Peak Cap

Hi,
Heres a cap i got with my grandpas collection of army badges, ive tried looking online so i can id it but i have found similar but not the same.
Ive seen a full thick red band around it but this cap has a think black stripe running through this one. anyone know what it is, The buttons on the side have some sort of fusilier markings. Any date or regiment would be helpful
Also whats the best way to wash/clean it?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1244.jpg (38.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1247.jpg (28.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 23-05-19, 09:40 AM

Grenadier Guards pattern buttons, I believe that the additional band around the hat indicates Honourable Artillery Company
PL
Old 23-05-19, 10:10 AM

Yes, it's Honourable Artillery Company.
A better image showing the button (which should be of white metal) will show by the style of cypher whether it's from King George V or King George VI period.
Does it really need cleaning rather than a good brushing?
Old 23-05-19, 11:00 AM

It does smells old, inside the leather is very firm too, i would like it to be a bit cleaner without damaging it
Old 23-05-19, 11:21 AM

A brush and risk a quick blast of Febreze?
Seal it in a freezer bag with a sachet of air freshener?
Some years ago a uniform with a couple of caps turned up at my place from across the pond, in a bin liner inside a cardboard box.
When I opened the bag I was greeted by a strong stench of cat urine.
I can't remember how I dealt with that marinade d'chat short of a sqeegee and flame thrower, I think it involved damp cloths, brushes and disinfectant and air freshener sprays, and a darned good airing. I'll try and work out what I used - it actually worked.

Last edited by leigh kitchen; 23-05-19 at 11:29 AM.
Old 23-05-19, 12:31 PM

It is for a private in the now disbanded Infantry Battalion of the Honourable Artillery Company and the brass buttons (identical to those of the Grenadier Guards) are correct for the brass rimmed hat as the HAC did not revert to white metal rimmed hat and buttons until the 1953 coronation, although speaking as one who wore one at that time, we handed our white metal ones back after the coronation and continued to wear brass, which I was still wearing when I left the battalion in 1956. Some time after that white metal was adopted in place of brass which brought it back to what it was originally with the battalion wearing brass where the Grenadier Guards wore white metal and vice versa.

Corporals wore an extra (thin) band, and sergeants wore two thin additional brass bands on the rim of the hat

Last edited by johnG; 23-05-19 at 12:43 PM.
Old 23-05-19, 09:27 PM

thankyou for the replies,
Lol at the cat pee story.
i'll get some fabreze tomorrow and give it a blast.