British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-15, 08:17 AM

Default OTC / cadet units affiliate to the Essex Regiment

I'm expanding my Essex Regt collection to include badges worn by OTC / CCF / ACF units that had a formal affiliation to the Regt AND wore their own badge. I'm aware of the following so far but are there any others to go on the list?

Bancrofts School
Brentwood School
Chigwell School
Felsted school
King Edward VI Grammar, Chelmsford

Essex County Cadets

Essex ACF (unofficial badge worn in the late 60s - early 70s)

I'd be very interested to learn dates of use too.

Many thanks in advance.

Michael
Old 01-08-15, 05:59 PM

Michael,

I dont know but if you can get hold of copies of the regimental journals or army lists ,these often list affiliated cadet units.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-08-15, 08:07 PM

Hi Michael, have a look at the photo in my royal Anglian cadet units 1964 onwards.
Old 02-08-15, 01:41 AM

Thank you both. Judging by your album I think I'm there with the possible addiition of the Royal Liberty School. Gidea Park is on the border so they may have linked to them - I haven't been able to find a definitive answer via Google yet though. M
Old 24-01-16, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

I bought this Brentwood School Cadet badge yesterday. I know from records that it was I use in 1938 but have no end date of use.

They became an OTC in 1936 but ran a cadet corps in parallel for junior boys.

Last edited by Alan O; 25-01-16 at 12:41 PM.
Old 24-01-16, 10:58 AM

There are several Essex Regt / Yeo etc memorials in Chelmsford Cathedral. However, I can't remember if any mentioned OTC/UTC etc. It might be worth a look see to check if you are local.
Old 24-01-16, 10:59 AM

I see you are in HK, so not too helpful, sorry.
Old 24-01-16, 11:36 AM

It can be most interesting and extremely frustrating trying to find which ACF/CCF/OTC units were affiliated to which regiments and even finding what units existed in the past.

I found an undated booklet " The Territorial and Auxiliary Forces of West Lancashire " some time ago. It lists the schools with CCF contingents, some of which I was aware and others I was not. Sadly quite a number of the schools on the list no longer exist.

In the case of Waterloo Grammar School which ceased to exist some time ago, I know they had a cloth shoulder title but I have not been able to find out what cap badge they wore.

In the case of Wade Deacon Grammar School, although the school is still in existence but with no CCF, my E mails have gone unanswered and phone calls to the school to see if they have an Archivist , School Historian or Old boys Association have been met with a complete lack of interest at the other end of the phone. So I have no information about their CCF.

One hopes that Alan O will in due course publish all the information he is collecting on Cadets and their badges and affiliations.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2114.jpg (30.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2115.jpg (62.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2116.jpg (69.3 KB, 6 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-01-16, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
I see you are in HK, so not too helpful, sorry.
Thanks Phil - luckily I do get to the UK quite regularly with work so will see if I can squeeze a trip in.
Old 24-01-16, 02:30 PM

The Essex Regt/Yeo Museum is within walking distance of the cathedral too.
Old 24-01-16, 05:16 PM

I believe that the R.Anglian museum at Duxford maybe able to help you. I believe they have a display of CCF/OTC badges.So that maybe a useful starting point.
Old 24-01-16, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
I believe that the R.Anglian museum at Duxford maybe able to help you. I believe they have a display of CCF/OTC badges.So that maybe a useful starting point.
Yes there is a display of ccf/otc, I have some photos taken this year, but am not sure if they can be used on this site.
Old 24-01-16, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
This would also be a great starting point
http://www.earfca.org.uk/

I have used them a lot to get doors opened for me, and meet the right people.
Old 24-01-16, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolk regt man View Post
Yes there is a display of ccf/otc, I have some photos taken this year, but am not sure if they can be used on this site.
I didnt mean use the photos. I meant as the display exists,im sure they will give you information regarding it .
Old 27-01-16, 11:03 AM

Further to my post 8# above, having searched in the multi part article "The Combined Cadet Force and its insignia " by Derrick Burney in the Formation Sign in the mid 1960`s I have discovered the following:

627. Wade Deacon CCF ( red on navy ) FT490

The article lists hundreds of School CCF`s and is a good source for those looking for school CCF`s that were possibly affiliated to particular regiments.

All I need to do now is find which regiment Wade Deacon were affiliated to find an example of their cloth title.

P.B.