British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-05-11, 11:36 PM

Default British grandmother enlisted in CWAC?

This is my grandmother, who was a British citizen and living in or around London until 1946 before she married my grandfather, a US serviceman at Westminster Abbey.

I believe she is wearing a CWAC uniform, the Canadian Women's Army Corps. If this is true, and it looks to be, how is it a British woman of around 19-20 came to enlist in this particular corps? Sure, she would have been eligible I suppose, by way of the commonwealth, but I don't have any solid information she was ever in Canada. Was it unheard of for British women to join Canadian units, even those living in Britain? Thanks.

Old 04-05-11, 12:34 PM

DND actually set aside a block of Regimental Numbers for CWACs enrolled in the UK. Do you have her ID tags or paperwork?
Old 04-05-11, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
DND actually set aside a block of Regimental Numbers for CWACs enrolled in the UK. Do you have her ID tags or paperwork?
DND?

I don't, unfortunately. I hope to dig up any official documentation, whatever there is, about her service. It was brief, no more than three years I believe. I have her full name and a likely last known address in the UK.

Thanks.
Old 04-05-11, 01:19 PM

DND?
Department of National Defense

Larry
Old 04-05-11, 01:29 PM

Is it possible she was in the ATS attached to the CWAC as ATS did wear collar badges of the unit they were attached to?
Old 04-05-11, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi, the tunic appears to be a CWAC tunic. Note the CWAC buttons, and the different coloured shoulder straps. The CWAC wore a tan uniform with beech brown epaulets and beech brown backing on the titles and nco's rank badges.
Old 04-05-11, 01:55 PM

If she was enlisted as a CWAC member, would there be any kind of official record that can be obtained? I'm not expecting a good deal of information, simply a date window and recognition of service, you know? I've seen similar things for US services.
Old 04-05-11, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamdrist View Post
If she was enlisted as a CWAC member, would there be any kind of official record that can be obtained? I'm not expecting a good deal of information, simply a date window and recognition of service, you know? I've seen similar things for US services.
If she is deceased you may be able to get a copy of her service file from the Library & Archives Canada. (LAC) They have a comprehensive web-page which explains the process and criteria.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...909.007-e.html
Old 04-05-11, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
If she is deceased you may be able to get a copy of her service file from the Library & Archives Canada. (LAC) They have a comprehensive web-page which explains the process and criteria.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/g...909.007-e.html
Excellent, thank you!
Old 25-08-11, 03:32 AM

Just wanted to follow up and say thank you again for the assistance. I received a great amount of information back from the Canadian Library and Archives.

In fact, learned the reason she, a British citizen, joined the CWAC rather than just the regular British service. She was married to a Canadian station in London, and when called up, joined the CWAC. Plausible enough considering Canada is a Common Wealth of the UK. I imagined they figured after the war they would go to Canada. Turns out the marriage didn't work, and she soon married an American from Wisconsin. This I had know, but the marriage to the Canadian was a surprising and new revelation!
Old 18-02-12, 10:47 PM

FYI, a total of 152 women were recruited, trained and employed in the UK during WW2. The women were either Canadian citizens or were married to a Canadian soldier.

Of interest, the women wore the FS cap (wedge cap) while under training and those who graduated wore the regular Cap CWAC.

The CWAC training officer was Lt. Madeleine Platt. She wore the Wedge cap with a brown flash in the front.

Unfortunately, I have not come across any documents regarding the local training or wearing the wedge cap. What I have written is based upon official Cdn Army photos.

DT.