British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-18, 08:31 PM

Default 56th Division / 8th RTR epaulette combination

This one has got me slightly confused. A major’s epaulet combo to the 56th Division in Italy. It has what looks to be an 8th Royal Tank Regiment ribbon on it as well. 8th RTR served in 7th Armoured Brigade. A posted officer perhaps? Grateful for any thoughts there may be on this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7102CC9D-940E-459B-A1C0-2659A9AF81BF.jpg (101.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 16-11-18, 11:54 PM

An 8 RTR officer posted to 44 Recce Regt, 56th Div? Just a conjecture.
Old 17-11-18, 07:38 AM

I believe that, in theory, RTR officers and men were required to remove their "regimental" ribbon on shoulder straps when posted away from that RTR unit. But, as those who have served in the British Army know, dress regulations are often regarded as a "basis for negotiation". So, in my view, the shirt epaulette illustrated is genuine and would have been worn by Maj xxxx formerly of 8 RTR posted to either HQ 56 Inf Div or to a Divisional unit. Mike
Old 17-11-18, 09:27 AM
MarkGD

I would rather believe the guy decided to keep the badge and epaulette after the shirt was of no longer use, as a keepsake, i don't believe he could have got away with wearing this as a set up. my 'twopenneth' for what it's worth. Regards Mark
Old 17-11-18, 03:19 PM

Hi, orders and counter orders from 56th Div. led to the first support action by 8th RTR being not particularly successful so it would have been reasonable to have had a liaison officer in place for their future actions. Only a thought, no evidence, best wishes Mike
Old 18-11-18, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the input on this everyone. It came as a pair with the 56 Div sign removed from the other one, regretfully. A good example of cross-unit signs in existence...