British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-11-14, 09:06 PM

Default Embroidered HG Southern command/ White Cliffs

While digging through a huge collection for sale here in the USA I came across these. They are the Southern Command aka Dover Castle aka White Cliffs badge that many in the Kent Home Guard wore, but embroidered instead of the usual printed. Both are the same color; the trimmed one is just heavily stained.

Anyone know the story behind them? Original or reproductions? Private purchase/ filler while waiting for printed? 1950s HG? I am drawing a blank. WD Militaria is the only other place I have found embroidered ones; they list them as "East Kent District Flash" and no info... not that I would base my research on a retailer!

Thank you in advance!

Old 23-11-14, 10:32 AM

This sign, in a variety of production variations, was worn from c 1941 to the early 1960s by the formation known variously as East Kent District and, from 1946, Home Counties District.
I have five variants in my collection - none identical to yours. I have one printed, one painted (early WW2 style) and three embroidered. The latter differ from yours in that the sky is not embroidered but is some form of finely woven sky blue fabric.
In my opinion the two signs you illustrated came from the same production run and are both genuine. But I have never seen one on a rectangular background - but there is no accounting for detailed production variations in the long-running British formation signs.
Thanks for posting them.
Mike
Old 24-11-14, 08:41 AM

Thank you for the reply! Interesting info. I collect and reenact British WW2 here in the US and have been working diligently on a Home Guard impression and display. I chose to do Kent 3rd Battalion (Canterbury) and need the shield so I will be using the size and dimensions to make reproduction painted/ printed ones for myself. I would love to see a picture of your painted one for reference, if you would share
Old 24-11-14, 08:58 AM

Some of mine.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 15-02-22 at 09:18 PM.
Old 24-11-14, 11:14 AM

Another painted example:
East Kent District.01.jpg
Mike
Old 26-11-14, 07:41 AM

54Bty and Mike Jackson, thank you very much for sharing the pics and the info. Greatly appreciated! It greatly helps in refining my Home Guard impression and display here in the USA
Old 26-11-14, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PteNelson View Post
Thank you for the reply! Interesting info. I collect and reenact British WW2 here in the US and have been working diligently on a Home Guard impression and display. I chose to do Kent 3rd Battalion (Canterbury) and need the shield so I will be using the size and dimensions to make reproduction painted/ printed ones for myself. I would love to see a picture of your painted one for reference, if you would share
I'm surprisingly pleased to hear that you won't be wearing these originals for re-enactment purposes.
Perhaps it's something that doesn't happen nowadays, messing around with original items so they can be worn for re-enactment?
I remember a friend of mine buying a 1902 dated tunic & taking off the original sergeants gold wire stripes & replacing them with new shiny ones & moving all the buttons around to make it a better fit.
Old 26-11-14, 08:20 PM

With most sane and respectful people it depends on the item and how it will be used. I'd never use original uniforms or insignia in the field where it will get destroyed or damaged; I might sew used insignia on for a static public display if it was a commonly found, widely produced version. Something rare like this, or Parachute Reg badging, etc... never

I would never even dream of tailoring an original uniform.