British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-02-22, 08:38 PM

Question Royal Tank Regt

Did the Royal Tank Regt have a white metal Queen's crown cap badge or were they made for the collectors market?

Thanks for looking

Rob
Old 17-02-22, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Not in the 60's as they went from k/c metal to a/a q/c. However recently metal ones have been made.
Old 17-02-22, 08:46 PM

Default Royal Tank Regt

Alan, I seem to remember this being spoken about, I am not sure how long I have had this badge.

How recent have white metal QC badges been official?

Thanks Rob
Old 18-02-22, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Rob

I think that they are now made in improved metal but that's recent so only a few years. The metal to a/a change in the 1960s was recorded on the RTR website.

Alan
Old 20-02-22, 04:20 PM

Hi, the first pattern Q/C badge appears in white metal and silver. One was hallmarked 1960. Having said that Bosley had a W/M one in his 6th Oct. 1921 auction with a slider so ones suspicions are raised. Hope this helps, Mike
Old 20-02-22, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

I was refering to issued ORs badges. The silver ones are officers I assume.
Old 20-02-22, 06:30 PM

Hi Alan, the W/M are usually other ranks. The hallmarked tank is I think the first one with a Q/C, so 1960 would be a reasonable date for this badge. Hallmarked tanks were quite rare, in fact the next one I have was for 1994 since then they have become more common, best wishes Mike
Old 20-02-22, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi Alan, the W/M are usually other ranks. The hallmarked tank is I think the first one with a Q/C, so 1960 would be a reasonable date for this badge. Hallmarked tanks were quite rare, in fact the next one I have was for 1994 since then they have become more common, best wishes Mike
As per the QOYY thread is it known the badge was sealed and actually issued in WM for the QC version?

Or is that an assumption based on the presumption that a metal QC badge should logically have been issued prior to the AA and that WM QC badges have been in existence and doing the rounds for a great many years now?
Old 20-02-22, 07:39 PM

During basic training at catterick garrison 1982 my pal joining 3 RTR purchased and wore a white metal QEII crowned cap badge from the PRI this was expected prior to joining his Regiment. He gave me his spare AA badge still framed up to this day.

I was 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards i too wore a white metal cap badge WW 2 vintage , not the issued AA badge they got tank rash (bent to easily getting in and out of the turret of a chieftain) the only caveat was you had to ask permission of the RSM to do so.

Regards

Stephen
Old 21-02-22, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
As per the QOYY thread is it known the badge was sealed and actually issued in WM for the QC version?

Or is that an assumption based on the presumption that a metal QC badge should logically have been issued prior to the AA and that WM QC badges have been in existence and doing the rounds for a great many years now?
As I have written above the RTR own website say there was no w/m badge sealed or issued but they have been made and sold commercially. The RAC Q/C cap bagde is the same. Issued in a/a for cadets, Junior Leaders, band, Royal Wessex Yeomanry (as a stop-gap) etc but can be bought in w/m.
Old 21-02-22, 01:54 PM

Hi, some photos of various Q/C tank badges. The first version, thin crown, I have called type "A" for convenience. The second photo shows the W/M version. The more common fat crown I have called type "B". Type "C" is more often used by modern hallmarked badge producers. there are also a couple of other types as well, work in progress, hope this helps in some way, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06446.jpg (25.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06447.jpg (35.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06448.jpg (37.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06449.jpg (31.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06450.jpg (28.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06451.jpg (28.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06452.jpg (27.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06453.jpg (37.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 21-02-22, 03:10 PM

Hi Gents,
Chris Marsh's book New Metal - British Army cap badges 1990 -2020 is the best source for "discovering" some of these new improved metal Q.C badges.

He lists from the Defence catalogue clothing - JSP 768, UK/SC5126 0F 30th May 1998 badges that can be made in the new metals - these include the R.T.R badge. There are about 30 badges on that list.
Whether sealed patterns were or ever needed to be made I don't know, but possibly contractors samples may have sufficed?

For earlier Metal badges his other book "Anodised aluminium no bull" will give you info on sealed patterns where different types of metals are used i.e anodised aluminium & normal g.m/w.m badges from the same S.P card.

Some of these badges do not exist but one can take a educated guess of what is out there.
The Sealed Pattern cards are likely to say "to guide for anodised aluminium".

But remember many units were none to impressed with a/a badges and got there men to buy a nice metal one from the P.R.I shop.
Hope this helps
Regards
Colin