British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-08-22, 03:11 PM

Default Recent holiday pick ups in France & Greece

Sad that I am on holiday I always like to do a trade if there is a prison near by, this year no prisons near by but always a Police station.
Any one else get any holiday pick ups this year.?

Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0626 (5).jpg (65.5 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0689.jpg (78.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 27-08-22, 03:40 PM

Hi Steve, nice haul

I was unsuccessful during my recent trip to Cumbria – the nick at Bowness was apparently closed (despite the number of cars and vans parked outside ), and the only copper I saw close-up looked like a goth who’d borrowed her brother’s uniform . I have met with a couple of visitors to Scotland, one from Sweden, the other from the US, during the last few months. On both occasions we met at Waverley, had a chinwag over a beverage, and exchanged coins, badges, patches etc. Having missed out in the past I always make sure to have a few bits on me when I'm out and about.

Hoping to meet another visitor from the States in the next few days.

All the best, Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0272 (2)b.jpg (68.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0783 (2)b.jpg (61.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0785 (2)b.jpg (66.4 KB, 25 views)
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 27-08-22, 04:05 PM

Default Hello

Hello Graham

Well done indeed Graham you did well. In recent years I have got into the habit of taking a small bag of swaps just on the 'Offchance'. The hardest place I went to earlier this year was Turkey, trying to get one of the new style Jandarma armpatches. It is just not in their mindset as to why anyone would want to collect / trade badges.
But I managed it on the last day! Phew!

Regards Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0514 (1).jpg (77.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 27-08-22, 04:13 PM

Hi Steve

Yes, a lot of cultures don't understand collecting for pleasure, especially in those parts of the world where information about their military and police are state secrets. I knew a collector years ago: his son, whilst travelling through Latin America tried to get a badge from a military base and spent the rest of the day trying to convince them he wasn't a spy! Mind you, I've been pulled by the old bill at a few airports and had my bags checked/swabbed, but that's probably because I look like Carlos the Jackal LOL.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 27-08-22, 04:16 PM

Talking Hello

Ha Ha
Old 30-08-22, 01:23 PM

Steve
Nice souvenirs I always take a bag of trade items with me when overseas I have been in numerous Gaols and police stations over the years thankfully the right side of the desk
Good trading

Stephen
Old 30-08-22, 05:20 PM

Default Badges

Hello Stephen

I think we both read from the same hyme book.

Regards Steve