British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-17, 09:01 AM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.
Default Battle of Arras - 9th April 1917

Let us pause today, 100 years on to remember those that fell in this battle that began on April 9th 1917. May they never be forgotten....apologies, I mistyped 1916 instead of 1917 in the title.

Last edited by Mike; 10-04-17 at 08:49 PM. Reason: correct title
Old 09-04-17, 01:25 PM

A BIG & IMPORTANT day for Canada at the VIMY MEMORIAL in France today - 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, a milestone battle for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces.
Ceremonies should be on the TV all over. History channel running many specials on Vimy all day today, some I have seen in the past but have PVR'd virtually all of them.

In remembrance......

Bryan in Canada.

Last edited by RCN; 09-04-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 02:05 PM

Default Battleof Vimy Ridge 9 Apl1917

Henry Williamson, CEF. He survived Vimy but was critically wounded in the battle in which he was recommended for the DCM - "for conspicuous gallantry & initiative at Iwuy. In charge of a patrol of 6 men he pushed across open hostile posts & found a large & strongly held pill box, which he rushed under heavy machine gun fire, & succeeded in capturing with 7 machine guns & 32 prisoners, besides killing a number of the enemy".

Henry was critically wounded with a gunshot wound to the chest, transferred to 30CCS on 12 Oct, then to Nr 3 Stationary Hospital on the 18th, where he died of his wound on 3 Nov, 8 days before the war's end. Henry is buried in St Sever cemetery.

In memorium......
Bryan
Old 09-04-17, 02:30 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
A BIG & IMPORTANT day for Canada at the VIMY MEMORIAL in France today - 100th Anniversary of the Battle of Vimy Ridge, a milestone battle for the Canadian Expeditionary Forces.
Ceremonies should be on the TV all over. History channel running many specials on Vimy all day today, some I have seen in the past but have PVR'd virtually all of them.

In remembrance......

Bryan in Canada.
It most certainly is an important day. The Canadian forces were magnificent on that day at great sacrifice. I think the memorial at Vimy is a beautiful and fitting tribute to those Canadians that died....I think perhaps the most stunning and beautiful memorial on the Western Front. Thank you for the photographs relating to Henry Williamson CEF.
One must not forget also that of the 120 Battalions which took part on that day, over 40 of them were Scottish Battalions. Around 18000 Scottish soldiers lost their lives in the battle.
Old 09-04-17, 02:43 PM

Charlie, I think by the time of Vimy the Generals were getting a better grip on what they had to do to prepare adequately for the battle. I know General Currie, the Commander of the Canadian Corps certainly knew & as a result of his extensive pre battle preparations the Canadian Corps performed so well that day. This was the first engagement that saw the Canadians operating as a Corps.

I am not a CEF collector but I certainly appreciate Canada's considerable contribution to the Great War & have read quite a bit on the Battle of Vimy Ridge. The Vimy Memorial is very imposing & photos of it do not do it justice, to really appreciate it you have to be there to see it in situ, its very moving as are the gravesites near the memorial.
I would have loved to attend the ceremonies held there today.

Bryan
Old 09-04-17, 05:08 PM

We appear to have lost the 'Thanks' facility - I express my 'thanks' to the originator and contributors to this thread.
Mike
Old 09-04-17, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
We appear to have lost the 'Thanks' facility - I express my 'thanks' to the originator and contributors to this thread.
Mike
me as well.

Cheers, Tim
Old 10-04-17, 08:50 AM

VIMY. From my French military philately file.

The postcard is a First Day of issue and of course the lower stamp is Canadian.

GTB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VimyPhil.jpg (31.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 11-04-17, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
. . . I know General Currie, the Commander of the Canadian Corps certainly knew & as a result of his extensive pre battle preparations the Canadian Corps performed so well that day. . . .

To be slightly pedantic, at the time of Vimy, Currie was not the corps commander; General Byng was still the corps commander. While General Currie is usually credited for many of the changes in the approach to planning and training that led to the Canadian Corps' success at Vimy and later, at the time of that battle he still commanded 1st Cdn Division. He did not become the corps commander until June 1917 after Byng was promoted and assumed command of 3rd Army.
Old 12-04-17, 01:44 PM

Hello everybody.
J'habite entre Arras et Vimy.
Je ne suis pas britannique ni membre de l'ancien commonwealth mais je peux vous dire qu'il y a eu beaucoup de ferveur ici à Vimy, Arras, sans oublier les "Aussies" de Bullecourt et beaucoup de villages environnants pour les cérémonies du centenaire qui viennent de se terminer.

Merci aux British, Scottish, Canucks, Aussies , Kiwis etc.
Vous avez été meilleurs que nous au "Chemin des Dames".....

I live between Arras and Vimy.
I am not a British or a member of the former Commonwealth but I can tell you that there was a lot of fervor here in Vimy, Arras, not to forget Bullecourt's "Aussies" and many surrounding villages for centenary ceremonies Which have just ended.
You were better than us at "Chemin des Dames" .....

Thanks to the British, Scottish, Canucks, Aussies, Kiwis etc.....

Jean-Paul
Old 12-04-17, 03:43 PM

Default Arras Casualty

FILE0001.jpg