British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 21-04-21, 03:24 PM

Default Decorum and Courtesy on this Forum

Ladies & Gentlemen,

Just a brief observation and reminder regarding recent activity/postings on this fantastic forum. I like to think that we, as members, are here to enjoy a common passion and purpose, which is to study Commonwealth military history, and to enjoy the badges and insignia which perpetuate this history. I also believe that we should foster our members in a respectful manner.

Many of us are extremely well informed, and may be considered as experts within our specialties. We have some highly notable authors who have published hard copy reference books, and also those who maintain invaluable web sites. To you, I offer my gratitude. I also appreciate everyone who offers advice in helping to identify the unknown insignia ( the "What the heck is it, I can't find it on Google"), those who provide anecdotes pertaining to their military history, and to those who have a sense of humour.

Some of us are novices, "newbies", beginners, just starting out within this wonderful & very meaningful hobby. We come here for advice. Please be aware of the purpose of this forum, and don't condemn us because we misspell. Some of us have disabilities, due to age or medical reasons.

Some of us can not afford to spend the money to buy a reference book. This forum is an Internet public domain resource, and exists to publicly share information, and to invite contributors.

Please, let us be civil to one another. Let us appreciate this forum for which it is intended. Lastly, a very special thanks to the owner, and to the moderators. Cheers,

Walt
Old 21-04-21, 08:47 PM

Well said.
Thank you Walt,
Old 22-04-21, 01:25 PM

Very well said. Particularly as I recently posted a few questions to which I had not been able to find a definitive answer for on Google! with the exception of one person, I received very polite, helpful answers, to which I am most grateful, I was not however impressed by the unhelpful, arrogant, condescending, insulting and completely unnecessary response I received from one member! I'm sure there are members of the forum, who use it as an escape from the daily pressures of life, and you have no way of knowing what people are dealing with, in this case, on that day, had he said it to my face, he would have been nursing a fat lip! My response online was unfortunately quite blunt and I'm glad to say been removed but the point is abusive, mocking or degrading comments are unacceptable, unnecessary and I feel should not be tolerated! The forum should be fun, informative and social, not something that leaves you angry!

Tony
Old 22-04-21, 06:08 PM

Excellent Walt, well put !
Regards steve
Old 22-04-21, 09:18 PM

Default Decorum and Courtesy on this Forum

Hi all,

I fully agree with the initial comment in this thread and I too get annoyed with members who belittle others.

For many members on this forum, English may not be their first language. On a number of occasions, I have thought of leaving the forum due to these lapses in attitude to people.

On the other side, I have had help from many members with advice and sourcing missing items from my collection. So much so, that I now have them on speed dial on my phone and have met in person over a coffee or a burger.

My wife has started coming along to fairs with me and met a few members, to the point, that she has joined the forum in her own right whilst collecting poppy badges.

Since she joined, we have befriended a forum member in Northern Ireland, who has been very helpful, and hope to visit when travel restrictions are lifted.

To all members, keep safe and good luck hunting those bargains. They're out there!

Regards,
Ian & Lynne
Old 23-04-21, 02:14 AM

I fully agree with the sentiments of the foregoing posts in this thread and it couldn’t have come at a better time for me! I have another aspect regarding decorum etc in the forum.
I mentioned once before the fact that this forum has members WORLD WIDE. That also means we all live in different TIME ZONES.
Many times in the last few years I have put in a post in my evening time, even up to and later than midnight my time, that’s generally 0500hrs Zulu. Somewhere around 1500hrs local time (the next day),Perth Australia. Many times I’ve awoken the next morning to find my post gone and replaced with another thread.
This morning, (April 22) after watching a thread for a couple of days, I saw the person’s question answered. I even started my question by saying, “Now that xxxxxx has the answer to his question, could any member tell me....”). A few hours later, my post was passed over with another thread, I again saw the person’s enquiry answered so reposted my question, only to have it dumped without being fully answered. All this in less than 12 hours. Come on guys, let’s use some common sense and let a post be answered or at least leave it alone for 36 hours from time of posting. Respectfully requested, David J.

Last edited by Artynut; 23-04-21 at 02:17 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 23-04-21, 10:47 AM

I would agree with all of these comments. I discovered the Forum some years back and "rediscovered" it when I found that I had more leisure time (sadly thanks to the pandemic). I have learnt SO much from answers to questions that have bothered me for many a night.

As an example, mike_vee has been always ready with suggestions but he is only one of many who have helped me. In exchange, you will always find me ready to assist with the little knowledge that I possess in a fairly specific area.

Keep doing what you're doing and don't change a thing!
Old 23-04-21, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Very well said. Particularly as I recently posted a few questions to which I had not been able to find a definitive answer for on Google! with the exception of one person, I received very polite, helpful answers, to which I am most grateful, I was not however impressed by the unhelpful, arrogant, condescending, insulting and completely unnecessary response I received from one member! I'm sure there are members of the forum, who use it as an escape from the daily pressures of life, and you have no way of knowing what people are dealing with, in this case, on that day, had he said it to my face, he would have been nursing a fat lip! My response online was unfortunately quite blunt and I'm glad to say been removed but the point is abusive, mocking or degrading comments are unacceptable, unnecessary and I feel should not be tolerated! The forum should be fun, informative and social, not something that leaves you angry!

Tony
" he would have been nursing a fat lip " would this not be abusive and unacceptable ?
Andy
Old 23-04-21, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
" he would have been nursing a fat lip " would this not be abusive and unacceptable ?
Andy
Not if I'm making the point of how offensive I found his totally unnecessary post, I'm normally very laid back, but that day I was struggling with some pretty stressful things, I came on the forum to escape a little, not expecting a mocking post, questioning my intelligence, normally I would have just ignored it but that day I was feeling pretty sensitive! But I'm not entering into a pedantic discussion, It's how I felt on the day, and the point is, I should never have been made to feel that angry!
Old 23-04-21, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Please read the rules. Threads about personalities on the Forum have a tendancy to get into perosnal relationships and opinions, which inevitably ends up in inappropriate exchanges.
Reference to the Forum Rules.

Moderating decisions are final. Threads and posts started about moderation decisions will ALWAYS be deleted and further posts by that user will be placed in the moderation queue as a minimum. If you feel you must discuss a moderation issue then do so by contacting the site administrator via the private message system.