British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-13, 11:18 AM

Smile 11th Hussars NCO's HMSS arm badge

Hi all,

11th Hussars NCO's HMSS arm badge marked Firmin & Son Birmingham 1921.

In need of a clean but nice and heavy.

I don't know what has come over me but I have strayed yet again beyond infantry to cavalry and now to cavalry arm badges !

Regards Dean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cav.39.f.jpg (99.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg cav.39.r.jpg (80.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 11-07-13, 12:19 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

That's quite a shift Mooke - however, you may find that it will turn out for the better - having recently seen what arm badges are selling for these days... I know that I wouldn't like to be starting collecting now. Well done.
David
Old 11-07-13, 12:25 PM

Thanks David - I cannot resist a good badge is the basic problem. Just picked up another actually - crossed carbines below PWO feathers on an oval disk ? Carabiniers arm badge - will post pics. - cast silver, cheers Dean.
Old 11-07-13, 01:25 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Thanks David - I cannot resist a good badge is the basic problem. Just picked up another actually - crossed carbines below PWO feathers on an oval disk ? Carabiniers arm badge - will post pics. - cast silver, cheers Dean.
Dean,
I used to have that problem a lot - when I was working - which I guess is reflected in my albums etc..... Now its picking up tablets.....
Keep it up, you are doing well.
David
Old 11-07-13, 06:03 PM

Hi Dean
That's a very nice Arm badge, and I'm not surprised you've been tempted.
Could I ask what sort of money these are on the market for?
Rob
Old 11-07-13, 06:19 PM

Not wishing to show my ignorance and purely to improve my knowledge ... what does HMSS stand for ?

Ritchie.
Old 11-07-13, 06:22 PM

Belay that - Possibly hall marked sterling silver ?
Old 11-07-13, 07:42 PM

Cool Off course

Dean,

I constantly wander off course collecting, good for the soul, bad for the bank balance . . !

Lovely badge.

Rob
Old 11-07-13, 10:16 PM

Default 11th Hussars Arm Badge

Quote:
I don't know what has come over me but I have strayed yet again beyond infantry to cavalry and now to cavalry arm badges !

Regards Dean.
Hi Dean

You are on the road to ruin and possibly damnation!
For a sum I can save you.
Name it. (And I will speak to my bank manager!)

Best wishes

Gordon

PS A wonderful find; please keep it safe until my bank manager calls.
Old 12-07-13, 09:50 AM

Smile

Thanks for the posts kind gents.

I am facing up to the fact that I do really like cavalry and yeomanry badges. I think I may add more hallmarked sterling silver (HMSS) arm badges when I can.

Regards to all, Dean.
Old 12-07-13, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke0gds, View Post
Thanks for the posts kind gents.

I am facing up to the fact that I do really like cavalry and yeomanry badges. I think I may add more hallmarked sterling silver (HMSS) arm badges when I can.

Regards to all, Dean.
Good luck with that Dean. Hope you have friendly bank manager... There are some nice ones around, but don't forget that "white metal" ones are ok as well - as in "white metal" = unmarked silver, as well as "normal" white metal.
Best of luck. Rgds, David
If you ever hanker after an "instant collection" let me know.
Old 27-07-13, 09:29 AM

Thanks to David I now have been not sleeping but avidly reading Linaker & Dine's treatise on Cavalry Warrant Officers' and Non-Commissioned Officers, Arm Badges. Interesting that F&S Birmingham hallmark noted for badges made in 1926 but not 1921 like mine but presume they were made in other years. The 1926 one has loops 45mm which I presume is apart where as mine are 41mm apart but 60x48.8mm in width and height same.

Regards Dean
Old 27-07-13, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks to David I now have been not sleeping but avidly reading Linaker & Dine's treatise on Cavalry Warrant Officers' and Non-Commissioned Officers, Arm Badges. Interesting that F&S Birmingham hallmark noted for badges made in 1926 but not 1921 like mine but presume they were made in other years. The 1926 one has loops 45mm which I presume is apart where as mine are 41mm apart but 60x48.8mm in width and height same.

Regards Dean
Dean,
I wouldn't worry too much about those sorts of details. The only ones that match the spacing details are those ones that I have been lucky to get hold of and also appear in the L&D and Peters book (obviously). The fixings do seem to vary slightly for different years and even the overall sizes by a few mm. If we all used a calibrated digital micrometer, they would still vary... Peters book is also worth a read as he provides details on other varieties, I tend to use both. However, his book is a bit more difficult to get hold of.... and I don't have a spare....
fyi. The 11th HMS version I have is a Jennens & Co version and the loop centres are 26.5mm with an overall height of 58mm - which is 2mm less than the F&S one...

Good hunting for the others! Regards, David
Old 27-07-13, 10:06 AM

Thanks David,

Good guidance as ever, shall put down my micrometer and pick up more badges, shall look for Peter's book regards Dean.

Tags
11th hussars, arm badge, nco