British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-08, 07:00 PM

This badge i beleive to be a repro. Two give aways. The badge is on lugs and it should be on a slider. If you look closely at the bullets they are grainy where the original should be smooth. Have attached a couple of scans of what i beleive to be originals. One wm the other all brass.
As a side note, does not our infamous cabdriver accept paypal with a full money back guarantee?

Keep smiling. Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GuardsMGC.jpg (52.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg GuardsMGCback.jpg (44.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 24-11-08, 08:11 PM

Dave & Paul are bang on I think. Only good ones I've seen have had sliders, here's mine for you, looks like a number scratched into the slider but I can't make it out fully, bullets are smooth as Dave said, all the crap I've seen has pitted ones, all the best, Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img720.jpg (79.0 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg img721.jpg (91.1 KB, 85 views)
Old 24-11-08, 10:10 PM

But yes, I agree with the previous comments - the WO records show that this one was issued with a slider !
(the official WO [ACD] records are open to the public - they are at Kew for anyone who cares to go along there; you, me, dealers, etc, etc !!!)

Last edited by Alan O; 27-01-18 at 04:36 PM.
Old 26-11-08, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
Dave & Paul are bang on I think. Only good ones I've seen have had sliders, here's mine for you, looks like a number scratched into the slider but I can't make it out fully, bullets are smooth as Dave said, all the crap I've seen has pitted ones, all the best, Wilf.
I have this one which is solid silver (marked silver on the top bullet) would this be an officers cap badge or collar?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9ee4_1.JPG (22.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 9de9_1.JPG (24.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 21-02-09, 06:20 PM
Former Member

Default Guards Machine Gun Battalion - Quiz!!!

Gentlemen and Ladies, as I'm sure there are some Lady collectors out there too (that is ladies who collect badges and not Gentlemen who collect ladies).

This Thread is intended as a bit of fun and also may prove of use to those who (until now) thought they had a Genuine Guards Machine Gun Battalion badge in their collection!

The Guards MG Bn was formed in 1916 and although only around for about 2 years there seems to be an abundance of badges on the market (most of which are copies).

Below is a picture which contains 6 Gds MG Bn Cap Stars (badges), which if any are Pukka genuine items and which are "Chippy" repros? I will post a reply with my solution in the form of an album within the next day or so, until then please study the images, at least one is Genuine. Please do not ask to see the backs as this will come with the reply post!

All for now! - Andy

p.s.

(Guards headdress badges based on stars are known as "Cap Stars" not badges and Guards Officers wear rank Stars not pips! Pips are what you find in oranges and similar citrus fruits)

(Chippy is a term used by Guardsman when refering to something that is NOT Guards)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21 Feb 09 006.jpg (47.6 KB, 392 views)
Old 21-02-09, 07:21 PM

Default Guards Machine Gun Battalion genuine badge

Andy,
If the learned experts in this forum are correct, the top three with sliders can be rejected out of hand. I do not think the voided badge is correct. Of the remaining two on the bottom I would pick the one on the left, if it is correctly lugged. The one on the lower right has a pewter color to it. Now tell me why I'm wrong. Belay my last! For some reason(s), perhaps a senior moment or two, I had become what I term "target fixated" on WWII Canadian Parachute Corps (NO SLIDERS) badges, and applied the same criteria to Gds MG Bn badges. Oh well, an interesting exercise none the less.
Jim

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 23-02-09 at 03:03 PM. Reason: What could be termed target fixation.
Old 21-02-09, 07:39 PM

I am going to guess that the central, voided "star" is genuine. I have a similar one which has a red cloth backing in the void, held in place with a circular disc/folding tangs.

Phil
Old 21-02-09, 08:42 PM

Middle /left ,as viewed.
Cheers !
Steve
Old 21-02-09, 09:04 PM

I'm going to go with bottom left because of the shoulder on the cartridge casing.
Old 22-02-09, 08:51 AM

OK here's my two pennies' worth...

Bottom two are definitely duds (I had an identical one to your bottom left, with a big blob next to the S-E cartridge).
The voided one looks dodgy too.
Mid-right looks bad & I wouldn't be too happy with mid left.

That leaves the top one... I'll go with this as the genuine item.

Actually - scrap that. I'll change my mind and go for mid-right as the genuine one. The bullets on the top one look badly finished.

I've got lot's of experience with fakes like these - but, sadly,never touched a genuine one. Any fake I end-up with I always destroy - can't stand them. And yes, I'm SURE all mine have been fakes!

Simon

Last edited by sw63; 22-02-09 at 09:05 AM. Reason: change of mind
Old 22-02-09, 11:01 AM

Andy - two genuine badges not one! Top and mid right.
(and Dubai is miles from Barry Island).
Mark
Old 22-02-09, 12:30 PM
Former Member

Thumbs up Gds MG Bn

All photos now in the album!

I've only been collecting for 35 years or so and I do not claim to be an expert, the comments attached to each photo are my opinion only and I welcome any comments or feedback!

Thanks for those of you who have taken part in what is intended to be a bit of fun and a reference to new collectors, thanks also to those who were tempted but did not submit a post (there were over 100 viewers).

Malc, I'm sure your badge is right and thanks for the e-mail.

I do not have the officers silver and enamel badge, but it's on my wants list (has been for many years). If someone would like to drop one in to my album for reference (and to make me drool) please feel free.

There is a brass star about which has been enamelled, I've seen a few and I'm sure they are copies. There is also one similar to the voided one in my album, with tags to hold a cloth insert, again I'm sure that is a fakers production!

Many thanks, I look forward to your feedback! - Andy
Old 22-02-09, 02:06 PM

Andy. Take a look at this thread from last year. Some interesting stuff regarding GMB badges. As you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject, what is your opion of my badge (top of page 3)?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ead.php?t=3238
Old 22-02-09, 02:21 PM
Former Member

Default Gds MG Bn

John,
to be completely honest with you I do not think that your badge is original, I have a photo on my office wall of a gathering of Guards Brigade Regimental Sergeant Majors taken around 1918, amongst them is the Sarnt Major of the MG Bn wearing what looks like the whitemetal one piece badge (as in my album) the photo is B&W so I cannot be 100%. As to the theory that it could have been made for wear by a soldier to be different, that just would never have happened in a Guards Regiment! If I had to guess I would say that it was a possible keepsake or sweetheart type badge, but not for wear in service. My opinion only!

All the best - Andy
Old 22-02-09, 08:22 PM

What's the view on this one? I've had it for a while and always regarded it with suspicion.
It is very well made but looks to be as new and there are no markings present.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (96.9 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (54.5 KB, 104 views)

Tags
guards mg regt