British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-11, 07:15 PM

Hi Peter,
I've got it now...pardon my rapidly aging abilities! I have never seen one of these bi-metal things. Anyway, the cap, not the badge was made in Norwich, and I cannot of course remove the bladed badge to see who made it. It does have every appearance of being an early Gaunt product however.

CB
Old 04-12-11, 09:46 AM

Default Fantasy on a slider

Picked this up on holiday in Kent last week,My view on originalty is that it ticks all the right box`s.Senior NCOs on a slider?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0841.jpg (30.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0842.jpg (31.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0844.jpg (28.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0845.jpg (31.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0847.jpg (18.2 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0850.jpg (40.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 04-12-11, 10:17 AM
Former Member

Shame it has a "BIG FAT FAKERS" mark on the slider! The font is too large, has the wrong arrangement/layout of words and missing underlining to the C of Co.
See here for an correct example.

Andy

Last edited by 2747andy; 04-12-11 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-12-11, 12:17 PM

Question

I think that the picture has got to be early post WW1. Two things I notice about the sergeant is that he does not wear collar badges and secondly his service dress appears to have two darts between the collar and pockets as apposed to the 1922 pattern which generally has only one.

Dave Moore
Old 04-09-15, 08:30 PM

An old thread I know........

Whilst doing a little research, I came across this site https://greatwarlondon.wordpress.com...folk-regiment/

Now, what I find interesting is the third image down. The L/CPL would appear to be wearing a cap badge normally associated with Officers and warrant officers. I know that collar badges were sometimes worn in lieu of cap badges, but an Officers badge?

I've said it before, but it is a shame that PJ is no longer a member of this forum. His research and contribution was second to none IMO.

Hopefully some will find this interesting,

Andy
Old 04-09-15, 08:36 PM
Former Member

Andy,
The LCpl appears to be wearing a standard post war badge, not an Offrs pattern?

Andy
Old 04-09-15, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Andy,
The LCpl appears to be wearing a standard post war badge, not an Offrs pattern?

Andy
Not if he was KIA in 1916!
Old 04-09-15, 10:17 PM

Cool Hats on for the photographer

I have often wondered whether the hat that was worn for the photographer was actually the hat issued to the subject or one that was given to him for the photograph, possibly by a comrade who could have been a W/O.

The hat worn with the Norfolk badge which could be one of the square plinth variety or a pagri type as Alan has pointed out, (it is not that clear to my eyes),
may not have been issued to the man in the photograph

Was it an other ranks type in bi-metal, I doubt it, these are a fairly new phenomenon IMO and have only appeared in the last twenty or so years, so my take on bi-metal square plinth Norfolk Regt badges is avoid.

Rob
Old 05-09-15, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Andy
I agree it's not the badge Alan links too, perhaps the photo is not of the gentleman in question? As the badge appears to be the "Royal" post WW1 pattern!

Andy
The cap is too early (the clue is in the peak) to be after 1937. Also if it was taken in or after 1937, he would be wearing collar badges.
Old 05-09-15, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I have often wondered whether the hat that was worn for the photographer was actually the hat issued to the subject or one that was given to him for the photograph, possibly by a comrade who could have been a W/O.

The hat worn with the Norfolk badge which could be one of the square plinth variety or a pagri type as Alan has pointed out, (it is not that clear to my eyes),
may not have been issued to the man in the photograph

Was it an other ranks type in bi-metal, I doubt it, these are a fairly new phenomenon IMO and have only appeared in the last twenty or so years, so my take on bi-metal square plinth Norfolk Regt badges is avoid.

Rob
That could be the case Rob. I think it has been discussed before about photographers using "props".

I quite agree about the bi-metal badges.... Avoid!

I am still of the opinion that he is wearing an Officers cap badge. For what reason we will never really know. It does however show that there are anomalies out there.
Old 10-09-15, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
I am a bit confused here. The correct badge for officers caps has always been this pattern of badge since the introduction of OSD. I have a pre ww1 OSD cap (made in Norwich) with a bronze badge of this type, not the wreathed OR's type.
Additionally, the photo of the 2nd Lt. and RSM could not possibly be from 1935, but must be much earlier. As mentioned, an RSM wore officer pattern badges and other officer type accessories. Also, the use of cuff rank did survive the war by a few years in some unusual cases, but certainly would not have been allowed by this late date.

CB
I am not sure that anyone did say 1935, did they? I thought that it was generally agreed lower down the thread that the photos were from a post WW1 Armistice parade.
Old 30-09-15, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

The scouts badge suggests that he is a Regular or TF and as Lcpl has some years service. In that case the badge is not 1914-15 era wartime shortages but something regtly approved.
Old 30-09-15, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you put it on the great war Forum they may date the arm badge. I think that is preWw1/ WW1 era but they might know when it was discontinued.
Old 02-10-15, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
If you put it on the great war Forum they may date the arm badge. I think that is preWw1/ WW1 era but they might know when it was discontinued.
Thanks Alan.

I thought this being a badge forum someone might be able to help with scouts badge.

With the lack of interest shown in this thread, I can no longer be bothered to persue it.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 02-10-15, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately arm badges are outside my sphere so I can't help any more with them.

Alan