British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-21, 06:20 PM

Default Falklands War Questions

I am interested in pursuing nursing and medic badges that would be attributed to the Falklands War. However, I have several questions please.

Is there any way to determine if a badge is associated with the war?

Were there any QARANC nurses involved or were there only QARNNS?

Would medics have been RAMC or part of the regiments involved?

Thank you for any help and insight you can share with me.

Terry
Old 26-02-21, 06:30 PM

S.S. Uganda Hospital ship during the Falklands war.
A team of 136 medical staff including 12 doctors, operating theatre staff and 40 members of the Queen Alexandra's Royal Naval Nursing Service, left Portsmouth to join her taking large quantities of medical supplies with them.
A small bit of info.
Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 26-02-21, 06:58 PM

There were at least 2 servicemen Badge Royal Army Dental Corps at the medical station try and get a copy of the book `The Red & Green Life Machine by Rick Jolly will give you a lot of back ground detail
Old 26-02-21, 07:05 PM

Terry, see my PM, reference battlefield medics. Regards, D.J.
Old 26-02-21, 07:56 PM

Thank you all gentlemen!!! I will check out the book, and sent a reply to the PM.

Sounds like there were only QARNNS nurses then.

Terry
Old 26-02-21, 08:44 PM

Also 16 Fd Amb. RAMC & QA with Fd Hosp
Old 26-02-21, 09:54 PM

The first female army personnel to be sent to the Falkland Islands were the Queen Alexandra's Royal Army Nursing Corps sailing on the 19 June 1982 from Southampton, reaching Port Stanley in the Falklands on 11 July 1982 - The Falklands War officially ended on the 14th of June 1982, so they were to late for the war.

They were deployed with 2 Field Hospital Aldershot, and 1000 troops, aboard the Turbine Electric Vessel (TEV) Rangatira. The 14 QAs were led by their Matron Major Margaret Nesbitt where they served at BMH King Edward VII Military Hospital Port Stanley.

TEV Rangatira spent the next 14 months as a floating barracks.

https://www.qaranc.co.uk/BMH-King-Ed...nd-Islands.php

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 26-02-21, 10:13 PM

Great additional information! Thank you!!!

Terry
Old 26-02-21, 10:26 PM

16th Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps during Falklands War,
Joint RCT/RAMC unit - Deployed to South Atlantic, 4/1982 - 7/1982;

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 27-02-21, 02:56 AM

Thanks Mike!!! I already some bits from 16th Medical Regiment, so at least have a start.

Wonder how hard it would be to find badges that were actually worn in the campaign?

Terry
Old 27-02-21, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Thanks Mike!!! I already some bits from 16th Medical Regiment, so at least have a start.

Wonder how hard it would be to find badges that were actually worn in the campaign?

Terry
Terry, I am afraid that a lot of disputable dealers ( we know who they are ) could claim that "This badge was worn during the Falklands war " when selling.
I still have my original Royal Engineer bi-metal cap badge I wore there in 1982 and that will stay with me.
Come to think of it I have a couple of badges I could age and say........

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 27-02-21, 06:36 PM

Jerry, Yes, that is the concern of just buying a badge without proper provenance. So actually acquiring one does seem remote. But never say never as one never knows.

As for your badge, I absolutely agree that you should indeed keep it. Additionally you should identify it for what it is and if you have family you can hand it down to them as the right lineage for it. I have never been able to ask a vet for anything, although I know many collectors over here who do. In fact some dealers will go into a town on a weekend after having run an add in the local paper saying they will be at such and such motel and are interested in buying items from veterans. I will always feel that personal items belong with the family. but at the same time would rather see them got to a reputable collector than get tossed out with the trash when family goes in to clean up after the veteran has passed.

Along these same lines I know many vets who want to donate their military items to a museum or the service branch museum, but don't realize that when they do they have to sign a document that says the museum has the right to display, sell, throw away, etc. as the museum sees fit. Therefore, my father's items will never be donated to a museum.

All said, I do know some items do come on the market.

I tip my hat to you for serving in the Falklands.

Terry
Old 27-02-21, 07:21 PM

Any items donated to a Museum (Tank Museum Bovingdon) if items hold relevance, not in the inventory, they will keep, everything else will go to the local Auction House to be disposed off!

Therefore a collector, (ourselves) thinking to keep the collection they have built up over years intact, are in fact passing onto a sorting office looking only for that which may be in the collection they want (small percentage if at all any) then off to be sold and forgotten about till a cheque rolls in! Saw this happening on a visit "behind the scenes tour" I was gutted!

Badges are replaceable, if you where at the Falklands it breaks it gets replaced the badge doesn't hold the memories but the Soldier does! In collecting does this then mean his Scivvies hold a value because he wore them there also? "I hope not as length of time they where worn they deffinately needed burning!" I have a few of my old badges worn in service, couldn't tell them from when issued if you asked? Well apart from my Beret going missing after 9 years, now that was a loss!