British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-20, 02:42 PM

I have now been able to access my wings, so I've decided to resurrect this thread. Here are images of my 'AP' wing, I am sure it is authentic but would appreciate thought on its origin. It may well have been modified as the letters are not uniform.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0605.jpg (43.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0606.jpg (48.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 26-07-20, 12:12 PM

It looks like a conversion from Air Gunner, especially with the embroidery showing on the back.
Dave
Old 26-07-20, 05:10 PM

Alex, what a lovely badge that is, nicely converted and worn as such, I like it very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
I have now been able to access my wings, so I've decided to resurrect this thread. Here are images of my 'AP' wing, I am sure it is authentic but would appreciate thought on its origin. It may well have been modified as the letters are not uniform.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 28-07-20, 04:30 PM

Thanks Dave, I think you are probably right.
Thanks Frank, yes, it is a really nice piece.
Cheers.
Alex
Old 05-04-21, 12:42 PM

The 'AP' (Air Photographer wing was DEFINATELY a WW2 issue wing in the SAAF.

A few years ago I was at the short-lived Bedford Military Fair when a dealer I know told me about a photo he had seen that day of an RAF Airman with 'AP' wing. As we were talking the person who owned it walked past and the dealer stopped him.

The photo was very large (about 20inch by 25inch), a portrait photo of an RAF airman with 'AP' wing on blue service dress. The photograph was dated (wartime but I cant remember what) and the story was that the RAF bod had been awarded the 'AP' wing after completing a course in South Africa, the badge being as shown above, in RAF style but South African manufacture (distinct wing and a small leafed wreath). He returned to the UK proudly sporting the said wing until spied by a senior officer who asked what it was. After the explanation he was told to take it off as it wasn't an RAF issued or sanctioned wing, and to replace it with an RAF 'O' (Observer) wing, which he did from then on.

The buyer had the photo, and the 'O' wing, having got them both, and the story, direct from the family. I was interested in a copy of the photo but not the 'O' wing which was a standard British made RAF type, but either I didn't ask to photo it or he didn't let me! I regret not photographing it, but either way I can confirm seeing a wartime dated photo of an RAF Airman in blue service dress, taken in South Africa, with an AP wing.

I have two such wings in my collection, one with an odd colour wreath and 'AP' and a standard issue version. The former initially looks like it has had the 'AP' replaced, converted from another wing, but the letters match the wreath identically, and so either they were made like that, or for some unknown reason someone altered the lettering and at the same time unpicked the wreath and embroidered it back exactly 'as was' but in a different shade of brown!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210405_132652.jpg (57.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20210405_132657.jpg (53.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-04-21, 05:25 AM

Hi Padre
That's great info, thanks. Fantastic badges too!
Cheers,
Alex